PDA

View Full Version : e-Bay support discouraging anything but MSIE!

zambizzi
June 11th, 2007, 07:04 PM
So, my wife submitted an error message she was getting while using e-Bay today. Here was the response by the support tech:

Dear <whatsyourface>,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to feedback.

I understand that you have left feedback on 3 items but you are still
receiving prompts to leave feedback. This appears to be a browser
related issue that can be taken care of.

It appears that you are using a Mozilla browser. It has been noted that
the Mozilla browser is less robust when submitting data to our site, and
this can cause numerous types of problems. Often, the solution is to use
MSIE as a stand-alone browser.

To start the MSIE browser, please click on the blue "e" icon on your
desktop, or access Microsoft Internet Explorer from your Start /
Programs menu. This will launch the MSIE browser as a stand-alone, and
you should be able to use eBay with any problems.

If you don't have the MSIE browser, you can download it from the
Microsoft site Or you can simply try using a different browser.

To download the MSIE browser, please use Internet search to locate the
Microsoft download page.

It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing eBay.

Sincerely,

<clueless support "engineer">.
eBay Customer Support

How ignorant is this!?

Catsworth
June 11th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I get the same thing. I don't think the cookies are updating properly, your wife should find that if she logs out and then back in the problem will have sorted itself.

For the record, I get the same problem when using MSIE - I just haven't ever been bothered enough to report it.

tagra123
June 11th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Clearing the cache will usually fix this too. I haven't experienced this -- I cant even remember the last time.

G Morgan
June 11th, 2007, 07:13 PM
If e-bay wishes to shun 35% of the market in Europe then who are we to complain.

wildcardny
June 11th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I know its a major problem when posting auctions via F'fox. Had a hell of a time just trying to post to two categories recently. Ended up having to switch to an XP machine just to post correctly.

starcraft.man
June 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM
It has been noted that the Mozilla browser is less robust when submitting data to our site, and this can cause numerous types of problems. Often, the solution is to use MSIE as a stand-alone browser.

ROFL!!!!

Wow, uh well no comment on that. I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion...

Anyway, I never used eBay and now I really don't think I feel like it if they can't be bother to support my browsing habits.

ajgreeny
June 11th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I don't use ebay myself, but my wife, who uses windowsXP with firefox, not MSIE, has never had any problems with either getting items listed in auctions or sending feedback to the site. Seems to me it must be something other than just the use of firefox, and I suppose it could be that it's because zambizzi and catsworth are using ubuntu (ie linux), and not windows. Does ebay demand activeX in the system? I presume not or firefox wouldn't work at all, would it?

tagra123
June 12th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I believe ebay traces your movement through the site using double click or something similar. If I remember correctly having the broser loocked up too tight can cause problems when using ebay. I'm not going to change any setting to see what caused it before but check to see if your browser is allowing referring URLs if not enable that and try or disable it and try to see if it clears up the problem.

http://forums.speedguide.net/archive/index.php/t-205566.html

I'll bet something else is causing the problem adblocking, java, flash, etc... I use firefox 2 on Dapper and have applied the suggested tweaks to improve performance and as said before have not experienced any problems listing items on ebay. Disabling ipv6 solved a lot of slowness problems.

You might try firefox using wine and see if you get the same problem.

init1
June 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM
They are also discouraging anything but Windows by suggesting that the user has a start menu and a desktop.

LazyTownRocks
July 5th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Maybe things are changing over at eBay from today ... they've launched the Firefox ebay plug-in ... "http://pages.ebay.co.uk/firefox/" ... we always get there in the end! :popcorn:

Bungo Pony
July 5th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Does this mean I can't use Dillo while shopping on ebay? :(

lepz
July 5th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Maybe it's an ebay.com problem? I have used ebay uk zillions of times always using firefox, even before switching to Linux. :D

timcredible
July 5th, 2007, 06:57 PM
i use ebay to buy just about all my computer related stuff - flash drivers, memory cards, memory, external drives, etc. and my wife uses it to buy quite a bit of stuff, we've never had a problem. i've sold about a dozen items via ebay and have not had problems either. wonder if they were just having trouble recently.