PDA

View Full Version : A Software Freedom Day Event

n3gbz
June 11th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Last September I was in another state due to family issues. A visit with the alpha geek at the local library and we had an event planned. Some posters were put up, some CDs made to distribute and some Public Service Announcements (PSAs) were sent out.

We had a nice turnout and a FLOSS mailing list was started to keep everyone informed of future events.

The rewards far exceeded the effort.

Wherever you end up this September, SFD 2007 is a great way to introduce others to FLOSS and Linux.

If not you, then who?

tideline
June 19th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I have already started a Tennessee section at softwarefreedomday.org. I basically broke it down into East. Middle and West Tennessee hoping someone from the West and Middle regions would pick it up and run with it. Check this link. (http://softwarefreedomday.org/teams/northamerica/TN). Since I live in East Tennessee I am more than willing to work with some others in the area, specifically, Knoxville.

Let me know if there is any interest.

Mike

forpeterssake
June 21st, 2007, 09:39 PM
I've never attended a SFD event, but they sound like a lot of fun. I'm hesitant to take charge and organize one in Middle Tennessee myself, but I could definitely help in a small team. Are there any other Middle Tennessee team members that might be interested in doing something for SFD?

boogiepop88
June 22nd, 2007, 12:08 AM
I can help with whatever, i've never participated in an event either. same as you, dont think i could organize but i could help a team.

tideline
June 22nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
Boog, where are you located?

The ultimate goal I would like to see met is to have some sort of representation in all three "regions" of the state at a minimum. That doesn't mean that there can't be more in each region. I think Johnson City... if there are any of you out there... would be a good place with ETSU as well as places like Crossville and others.

Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis areas should have some sort of representation.

If anyone is interested in heading up Mid and West Tennessee please let me know and we can get some CD"s and stuff ordered.

Mike

Luksion Knight
August 6th, 2007, 03:10 AM
hey im middle tennessee, i could help probably

tideline
August 10th, 2007, 08:51 PM
September 15 is coming up fast. Is there anyone else in other parts of the state that are willing to head up their area's SFD events? If so we should try to get some shirts ordered. I put in a request for 300 Ubuntu CD's as well as some OpenCD"s. Hopefully, I will be able to get those before SFD and in time to send them to others for distribution. Also, it is an option to burn your own CD's and distribute them. I was thinking about buying a 100 CD spindle and making copies with the wiki addy on them or something to show they came from the Tennessee LoCo.

Thoughts???

Mike

nat1192
August 24th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I am looking for an event by Chattanooga. I can try to help a team. If there isn't one we could try to form one at one of the local libraries.

MattAd
August 27th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I'm in Middle Tennessee, and I think it could be neat to have a Software Freedom Day event at MTSU. There's a lot of people here, and setting up a table in front of the Keathley University Center usually gets some attention, although we'd have to have the table either earlier in the week before, or the Monday immediately after. Are there any other MTSU Linux users who might be interested?

tideline
August 29th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I think the Ubuntu CD's I ordered for SFD are here. DHL just tried to deliver a big package to my house, since I am not expecting anything other than the CD's I ordered and it weighs 7 pounds. If there are real plans for activities in other parts of the state I can ship some to you.

Other options are getting a copy of the OpenCD and Ubuntu and burning copies.

I physically can't help with the areas other than Knoxville. I can give ideas and moral support, and as much logistical help as possible. So, I need someone to take the reigns in other areas of the state and let me know asap what you plan on doing and if you need anything from the group. This doesn't have to be a one person show, the more help the more successful this will be.

Thanks
Mike

n3gbz
August 29th, 2007, 06:59 PM
That sounds great Mike!

I will be in Pennsylvania with my parents again this September so I can not help in East Tennessee.

Current plans in PA are to set up a table in the local library and pass out free CDs and answer questions on a one-to-one basis. We will be burning various CDs as we go; TheOpenCD, OpenEducationCD, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.

In the past year, Audacity has proven popular with teens and OpenOffice.org is liked by parents who want to have school-software compatibility.

Hope all goes well!