PDA

View Full Version : London transport system hit by terrorists

BWF89
July 7th, 2005, 12:56 PM
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Explosions%2C_%27serious_incidents%27_occuring_acr oss_London

Anyone in or around London when it happened?

AntiDragon
July 7th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Yeah. We're all listening at work. My girlfriend's brother works in Central London.

It's not good.

hellraiser_rob
July 7th, 2005, 01:00 PM
i have a lot of friends in london working today, many communication methods are jammed by traffic, so its hard to check if they are ok...

like in 2001 when we were all newyorkers, today we are all Londoners and my heart is going out to everyone there

a bus was also blown up (perhaps suicide bomber) you can see the results of this cowardly act below

http://www.itv.com/

N'Jal
July 7th, 2005, 02:07 PM
My friend left the station as the bomb went off, he's ok though, need to get ahold of a lass i know down south now.

First the anarchists in edinbrough now terrorists in london, will it ever stop?

JPatrick
July 7th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I'm from London but I don't live there at the moment. :(

Here's a page on the BBC all about it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/uk/2005/london_explosions/default.stm

This is bad.

My uncle works in Central London

AntiDragon
July 7th, 2005, 02:13 PM
My girlfriend's brother is OK. But a friend of ours hasn't been able to contact her three sisters yet. She's obviously very upset.

It's a sad world where on a day when we should be celebrating (Olympics), and a day when us "rich nations" look to be finally waking up and trying to do some good in the world (G8 and African debt) that there are groups of people seething with such hatred and anger that they believe such acts of terrorism are a good thing.

It makes me despair for all of us.

JPatrick
July 7th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Someone has claimed to have done the attacks:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4660391.stm

N'Jal
July 7th, 2005, 02:18 PM
This may sound crued but i hope these terrorist blow themselve's up, every single one of them, till there are none left to continue this pointless killing, they are killing because they can, nothing more.

They even kill their own. Which makes it worse, those from their country that don't want to be terrorists are killed, it's sick.

JPatrick
July 7th, 2005, 02:24 PM
European, G8 and Muslim leaders have condemned the blasts.

Seems that mostly everyone's against them.

i also hope that these terrorist blow themselve's up

nocturn
July 7th, 2005, 02:28 PM
To all of you contacting people in London. Try using landlines and if that is not possible, text messages, they have a far better chance of getting through.

My thoughts go out to the people there and their families.

N'Jal
July 7th, 2005, 02:32 PM

As do mine.... and my prayers

JPatrick
July 7th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Everyone's been told to 'stay calm and remain where you are' - and turn on the radio.
The phone lines are jammed.

Me too.
Our condolences go out to the families of the vicitims.
This is from the BBC website:
Public advice
The Metropolitan Police advise people to stay where they are.
Do not call the emergency services except in life-threatening situations.
An emergency hotline number is expected shortly.
All London hospitals are closed to non-emergency cases.
Emergency service calls are being given priority on mobile phone networks.

BinaryDigit
July 7th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Everyone's been told to 'stay calm and remain where you are' - and turn on the radio.
The phone lines are jammed.

Me too.
Our condolences go out to the families of the vicitims.
This is from the BBC website:
Public advice
The Metropolitan Police advise people to stay where they are.
Do not call the emergency services except in life-threatening situations.
An emergency hotline number is expected shortly.
All London hospitals are closed to non-emergency cases.
Emergency service calls are being given priority on mobile phone networks.
So scary as I just left London on Tuesday to come back home to the States. I was taking the tube everywhere! No one I know is hurt thank god (I have friends that live outside of London). My prayers are out there for anyone that might be hurt.

Knome_fan
July 7th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Just wanted to add a me too here.

N'Jal
July 7th, 2005, 03:18 PM
... and to think just yesterday we were celebrating tha fact that we defeated the software patent issue, sorta pail's into insignificance now...

WirelessMike
July 7th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Agreed. This bites on a whole new level.

It shouldn't be news to anyone since yesterday that London won the Olympics bid (CONGRATS!!!). Even I, a southern american, was cheering along with the Brits.

I, too, was very encouraged by the news of software patents being defeated.

I suppose the cowardly terrorists (and oh yeah-- they are snivelling cowards using the world's most cowardly weapon: bombs) could not have picked a better time to hit the English.

I, too, wish to express my most sincere condolences to the victims of this cowardly attack. My prayers are for you-- ALL of you.

A warning to terrorists, by the way-- Britain has proved they are far from cowardly in regards to such acts. You better run and hide-- They train some of the best special forces in the world and you can bet your family's fortune they will find you and make you pay.

God Save The Queen

JPatrick
July 7th, 2005, 03:35 PM
The Spanish have said that they will help the Brits track down the terrorists.

The Olympic partys have been called off. But London will still stage the Olympics
source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/4659781.stm)

A warning to terrorists, by the way-- Britain has proved they are far from cowardly in regards to such acts. You better run and hide-- They train some of the best special forces in the world and you can bet your family's fortune they will find you and make you pay.
Agreed
How London planned for post-9/11 attack (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4660193.stm)

primeirocrime
July 7th, 2005, 03:39 PM
My friend left the station as the bomb went off, he's ok though, need to get ahold of a lass i know down south now.

First the anarchists in edinbrough now terrorists in london, will it ever stop?

I'm shocked that terrorism has striked once again, and I feel for the victims and relatives. But don't put anarchists and terrorists in the same sentence. Their actions in Edinbrough are not in the same level nor do they have the same intentions that a terrorist attack has.

Cupofcoffee
July 7th, 2005, 04:17 PM
My thoughts and prayers go to all of those affected and to the emergency services.
The hotline number is 08701566344
I hope the terrorists come to their sences and realise that helping others does more good than killing them.

WirelessMike
July 7th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Quotable Quote:

"I wish to speak through you directly, to those who came to London to claim lives, nothing you do, how many of us you kill will stop that flight to our cities where freedom is strong and where people can live in harmony with one another, whatever you do, how many you kill, you will fail."

- Ken Livingstone, Mayor of London, UK (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/156752/1/.html)

Stated while in Singapore for the IOC Session.

N'Jal
July 7th, 2005, 04:23 PM
I hope the terrorists come to their sences and realise that helping others does more good than killing them.

It's a nice thought, but we live in a creul world

sonny
July 7th, 2005, 04:42 PM
My prayer for all those who have lost some one dear to them in this horrible and uinthinkable act. I hope my country would help the britain, we are an anti-war country, but we'll surely send something to british (food, water, etc.).

And for those who are guilty, as the mayor of London said... "you WILL fail"

aragorn2909
July 7th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Another dark day.
If I may quote my Prime Minister
"Prime Minister Paul Martin:

"Today, we have been witness to acts of cowardice and terror. The London bombings are an unspeakable attack on the innocent and on a way of life.

On behalf of all Canadians, I have extended...the condolences and the sympathies of our nation. We pray for those who have lost their lives, and for their families.

Our collective freedom has come under attack today by those who would use violence and murder to force extremism upon the world. We must and we will stand against these terrorists. We will do so together. And we will prevail."

Phoning home on Thursday morning, Martin ordered the flags on Canadian government buildings to fly at half-mast as a sign of mourning."

Our thoughts are with you

jeremy
July 7th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I also mourn the dead, and commiserate with the injured and the families and loved ones of the dead and injured.

I was in London last week, and experienced, as always, the sense of openness and sharing that London is so famous for. London is a strong city, and has pulled through acts of agression well in the past, I'm am sure that it will do so this time too.

Ultimately I believe that Blair, and the people who lied and cheated with him to cause Britain to become an attacker in a war that was not wanted by the majority of the people they are supposed to represent, are as much to blame as the people who set the bombs.

In war death happens, shame on all that cause it!

MetalMusicAddict
July 7th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Awful news. My prayers are with England.

I was in D.C. when the plane hit The Pentagon. I watched it hit. Not a pretty pic to have in your head.

a-nubi-s
July 7th, 2005, 06:16 PM
How very very sad. :cry: If you want to show your solidarity or mourning by temporarily changing your avatar I put one up that works well here.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9188/unionjackblack903tz.png

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9188/unionjackblack903tz.png

pirast
July 7th, 2005, 07:10 PM
My prayers are with England, too :cry:

Martin

NeoSNightmarE
July 7th, 2005, 07:11 PM
That's just horrible. I was watching this on TV and was like, damn. Why the hell does this keep happening to places where I know ppl? I think that it's serious overkill to attack the subways...and then the buses. Like right now I'm taking up homeland security in the US. From what I've learned in the last year of taking classes, they go for where it would have the greatest effects and act on the sense of fear by a nation. And that's exactly what happened today. Is it right? Hell no. But they essencially did what they wanted to do and it was in their minds a success. Now I can't help but wonder what's going to happen in London when the Olympics come around. Hopefully nothing, but if they are viewing the UK in that way, you have to wonder if this was just a prelude. Either way, I hope that everything returns to normal as soon as possible and having been in manhattan on 9/11 I can only say that I feel for those affected between living through it and knowing people who perished in the attacks if that's also the case.

SS2
July 7th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Bad news in a difficult world, so much of cruel things happening every day.

Yesterday they celebrated there wins for the olympics, now they have to stand the terrorism.

DRF
July 7th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Same here.

I hope my country would help the britain, we are an anti-war country, but we'll surely send something to british (food, water, etc.).

The attacks have caused some financial loss and concern (not just in the UK but also Europe according to BBC reports). Thank you for your concern but rather than aid (as there was nothing major targetted), intelligence for the police and sympathy for those that have lost family and friends is more important at this time. It is a shame that those attacks were timed to disrupt the meeting held in the UK about giving aid to other less fortunate countries.

I would like to say that this is not common place and there isn't any reason to avoid the UK or change your plans if you intend to visit during the course of the year. The people who placed those bombs took the easy targets. Normally stations here are regularly checked for any unidentified packages and all luggage (including hand) is checked when boarding planes (local and international flights). Many important tourist sites also tend to have security to various degree's and medical cover.
There is quite strict controls on guns in the UK (with pistols being illegal). Normally the intelligence service uncovers any terrorist activity before it happens (with various warnings in recent years resulting in a rapid response to make the target as secure as possible) and arresting any suspects.

From what I have gathered of the recent news there are at least 37 people killed and 700 injured. The intelligence sevice's think this could be a new terrorist cell that was previously unknown about. Disruption is minimal to transport around the UK except for the train lines going in or out of London. At somepoint tomorrow they expect the london transport system to be back to normal with the exception of those stations and areas currently considered a 'crime scean'. (But they advise to not enter London if possible for the next couple of days while the transport network returns to normal).
There were around 4 bombs placed. (earlier reports of 7 were incorrect as bombs on trains between stations gave the appearence of more than there where). 3 bombs were placed on the underground trains and 1 on a bus. Almost immediatly all buses were halted and the trains in the tunnels were sent back to the nearest station.

Paraphrasing some reports from the media there was no demographic targetted. Those injured were from all classes and races.
The important thing is not to get paranoid and have bag checks on all buses and trains for no reason as that in itself will cause more disruption and will only please those that planned this attack further. The government is allready considering what improvements to implement to make this harder in the future, but at the same time keeping a balance between freedom and safety.

Daniel

KiwiNZ
July 7th, 2005, 11:27 PM
The people of London I offer heart felt prayers and best wishes. New Zealand and Britian share so much past and so much future. All New Zealanders will see us as one today with you . Our whole hearted support will be for you .
It is a sad commentary on the World today that as the Worlds Leaders meet to find ways to help the sick, the starving, the poor,that extremists act to deflect the attention away from that vital work in such a cruel and heartless manner. It clearly shows they have no value for humanity what so ever and therefore should be accorded no humanity.

Once again our aroha our love goes out to the people of London.

JPatrick
July 8th, 2005, 11:26 AM
They're now looking for the bombers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4662395.stm).
I hope they find them.

ecadre
July 8th, 2005, 05:48 PM
I also mourn the dead, and commiserate with the injured and the families and loved ones of the dead and injured.

I was in London last week, and experienced, as always, the sense of openness and sharing that London is so famous for. London is a strong city, and has pulled through acts of agression well in the past, I'm am sure that it will do so this time too.

Ultimately I believe that Blair, and the people who lied and cheated with him to cause Britain to become an attacker in a war that was not wanted by the majority of the people they are supposed to represent, are as much to blame as the people who set the bombs.

In war death happens, shame on all that cause it!

Thank you for for trying to make some sort of analysis.

This was a despicable, criminal attack and should be treated as such. Not as another excuse to start new wars and attacks upon civil liberties.

Though I no longer live in London I know the places on the underground that were bombed very well, and the bus that was attacked was on the route that I took every morning and evening to and from work. It really brings things home.

What I have found sickening are the war criminals Bush and Blair parading their "angst" and their hyperbole about "freedom" and how we are ALL united together. In your dreams!!!

I place this murderous and disgusting bombing attack in the same category as those who order bombings from the comfort of the Whitehouse, Downing Street etc.

It is increasingly clear that the US/UK occupation of Iraq and other aspects of the "war on terrorism" are failures. Thanks to the war the world is less safe not more.

Knome_fan
July 8th, 2005, 08:01 PM
http://www.werenotafraid.com