PDA

View Full Version : Trustix Linux

nocturn
July 7th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Has anyone tried this one? It looks sorta nice for servers... Although I would need to find out if it support kerberos servers.

http://www.trustix.org/

It seems rpm based though :-(

andlinux21
July 7th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Never tried it but I did read about it awhile back when I was searching for a nice server distro.

lao_V
September 7th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I've just tried this distro and I am extremely impressed with the installation procedure. I found Anaconda text installer and disk druid a lot better then Ubuntu's installer. Being able to chose a "group" of packages is great.

I got the system up and running in less then 10mins. However, by default, the system is completely lockdowned - no ssh and can't su -. Takes few minutes to resolve that. The documentation on the trustix.org site is growing and getting better I think.

I've tried to use Ubuntu as a server. It is pretty good but installation takes much longer. I don't like the second stage - "configuring packages" which takes long time.

However, I'm gonna be trying out both for a while to see if Ubuntu can really fulfill my needs as I don't really like RPM based distros.

KingBahamut
September 7th, 2005, 03:17 PM
I've just tried this distro and I am extremely impressed with the installation procedure. I found Anaconda text installer and disk druid a lot better then Ubuntu's installer. Being able to chose a "group" of packages is great.

I got the system up and running in less then 10mins. However, by default, the system is completely lockdowned - no ssh and can't su -. Takes few minutes to resolve that. The documentation on the trustix.org site is growing and getting better I think.

I've tried to use Ubuntu as a server. It is pretty good but installation takes much longer. I don't like the second stage - "configuring packages" which takes long time.

However, I'm gonna be trying out both for a while to see if Ubuntu can really fulfill my needs as I don't really like RPM based distros.
Makes for a great firewall.

lao_V
September 7th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Makes for a great firewall.

I think there are better solutions for linux-based firewalls out there like smoothwall, sme server and monowall to name a few which comes with a web-based admin.

However, I haven't been able to understand why you would want to tie up a whole pc just for firewall?

John.Michael.Kane
September 7th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Heres some i found that may suit your server needs

Adamantix
Hiweed Linux
Muriqui Linux
Nature's Linux
TupiServer Linux

Hope it helps

lao_V
September 7th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks for that list. However, some of them are foreign (non-english) distros while some of them don't have a proper community/support at the moment.

Trustix seems to be very well supported at the moment.