PDA

View Full Version : internet cafe (ubuntu)

bigken
June 11th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Ok here it is I have a cilent with an internet cafe and the whole thing is in a bit of a mess ie software wise the machines are running xp and win 2000 but he dose not have the system discs I was wondering is there a software package on linux for running a internet cafe ;)

Warpnow
June 11th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Ok here it is I have a cilent with an internet cafe and the whole thing is in a bit of a mess ie software wise the machines are running xp and win 2000 but he dose not have the system discs I was wondering is there a software package on linux for running a internet cafe ;)

What's wrong with the standard Ubuntu install?

if you only want internet you could run Opera in kiosk mode.

bigken
June 11th, 2007, 10:35 AM
sorry what im looking for is some software to manage the machines

like you say install ubuntu on all the work stations but then I need something to
manage them from a server

jeroen.kurvers
June 11th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Perhaps this software might be what you are looking for:
http://www.outkastsolutions.co.za/outkast/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=45&id=outkafe

bigken
June 11th, 2007, 12:14 PM
please disregard this from now the client has employed someone on a permanent basis
so its there problem now

anyhow thanks for the replys

prizrak
June 11th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Not that you need it anymore. I don't think Ubuntu can really work in an internet cafe, at least not 100% of the machines. One of the things people go to those places for is gaming and lets face it, aside from a handful of games there is really no way to run that.

FYI:
Best thing to do in such a situation is a terminal server setup with the workstations working as dumb terminals and a central server holding all of the stuff. Obviously should be clustered with mirrored RAID NAS system to avoid a single point of failure but easiest to manage once up and running. Also requires very basic hardware for terminals. Of course this would be for a something that won't do any gaming.