PDA

View Full Version : Feisty vs Gutsy

Darth_Maul
June 11th, 2007, 05:35 AM
How much differnt will the two be. Wireless support ect? And do you think that Ubuntu will one day take over Microsoft?

a12ctic
June 11th, 2007, 05:44 AM
No idea on the differences, about taking over MS, god i hope not. Linux is a diamond in the rough nowadays, I love the elite little community that it has built up. Its spectacular.

kevinlyfellow
June 11th, 2007, 06:22 AM
I heard that wireless support will be better (perfection can only come when wireless cards manufacturers make linux drivers). http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6382/1/

Whether it will be in gutsy or not I don't know. Maybe gutsy will have an ndiswrapper wizard? That would be handy.

Linux is making inroads on the desktop market. You can search the forums about it and you'll find tons of opinions. Mine is that we will be poised to take on MS in a year or so. Mind you that we will not overtake MS in a year or so, we would just have the desktop usability to do so.

guitarmaniac
June 11th, 2007, 06:47 AM
No idea on the differences, about taking over MS, god i hope not. Linux is a diamond in the rough nowadays, I love the elite little community that it has built up. Its spectacular.

Are you saying that you WANT everyone else to continue using Windows a feed $$$ to Microsoft?
If Ubuntu can achieve widespread acceptance wouldn't that be a good thing?

prizrak
June 11th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Gutsy will basically be stabilization of Feisty. So more drivers, better polish and so on. Nothing drastic is really going to change. If you are that curious grab a devel release ;)

ThinkBuntu
June 11th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I read the latest newsletter, and apparently the alpha has an updated kernel, improved codec-buddy, and the latest GNOME, etc. I'm curious about the new kernel feature that's supposed to improve battery life.

phrostbyte
June 11th, 2007, 02:27 PM
2.6.22 kernel (improved battery life/improved USB devices support/improved virtualization) + a slightly newer version of Gnome

That's the alpha version of Gutsy, the final release will prob have a ton of new features.

prizrak
June 11th, 2007, 05:55 PM
2.6.22 kernel (improved battery life/improved USB devices support/improved virtualization) + a slightly newer version of Gnome

That's the alpha version of Gutsy, the final release will prob have a ton of new features.

That's not really a new feature it's a new kernel but all of the new releases get a new kernel that's normal. Mark said that Gutsy will really be a stabilization release, few new features introduced and current ones improved/stabilized. He has hinted that Gutsy+1 might be an LTS release so it wouldn't make much sense to put lots of new features in.

bobbocanfly
June 11th, 2007, 05:58 PM
So if Gusty+1 is an LTS release, Gutsy+2 should have a mass of new features?

eentonig
June 11th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Yep, most likely. So within 1,5 year you can burn a state of the art Ubuntu that has a build in mindreading input, telekinese modules to get your coffee at the desk, etc.