PDA

View Full Version : Opera/Bit Torrent

aragorn2909
July 7th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Interesting to see this (http://www.betanews.com/article/Opera_Adds_BitTorrent_to_Web_Browser/1120670921) , I'm sure we'll start to see other browsers offering this in the near future.

sapo
July 7th, 2005, 07:20 AM
nice idea.. good for downloading small files.. but azureus still rlz :grin:

bored2k
July 7th, 2005, 07:22 AM
This would become useful once all the major sites start moving their downloads to .torrent format until it finally becomes the standars. I would go bananas if I needed to open Opera everytime I wanted to resume a torrent.

NeoSNightmarE
July 7th, 2005, 07:27 AM
That's awesome right there. I think that firefox should follow suit because it would be really good to have it ln there as well. Is there any word if it's also going to be in a linux release as well as windows?

psychicdragon
July 7th, 2005, 08:54 AM
If you want to try it out there is a deb on their ftp:

ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/802tp1/tp/en/i386/opera_8.02-20050705.5-shared-qt_en_sarge_i386.deb

I was a big opera fan back when I used windows, but it looks so ugly next to native gtk+ apps.

rwabel
July 8th, 2005, 01:45 AM
bittorent works fine, nicely integrated in opera!

psoleko
July 8th, 2005, 04:18 AM
I would love a bittorent integration extension for Firefox. Perhaps something that will integrate with the download manager, which is quite nice with the download manager tweak extention. I've tried using Azureus, I find it a bit too much for my tastes. I prefer a much more simple bittorrent client myself.

Primos
July 8th, 2005, 04:32 AM
I would love a bittorent integration extension for Firefox. Perhaps something that will integrate with the download manager, which is quite nice with the download manager tweak extention. I've tried using Azureus, I find it a bit too much for my tastes. I prefer a much more simple bittorrent client myself.

There is some project going on...:

http://moztorrent.mozdev.org/

NeoSNightmarE
July 8th, 2005, 05:23 AM
That moztorrent plugin looks pretty sweet. I'm glad to see that it's in alpha and at least starting it's journey to release. Now just to wait for public beta. I'm having a slight issue with the Opera .deb but I'll get the hang of it eventually. lol. Just takes some experimenting like anything with linux. :-#

rwabel
July 8th, 2005, 11:12 AM
I don't like azureus neither. First it's based on java and second it's huge, needs a lot of memory and is kinda slow.

moztorrent hasn't any files available!

there is a new one called gnome-torrent (http://www.amedias.org/%7Ekoke/gnome-torrent/), looks really nice!

psychicdragon
July 8th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I don't like azureus neither. First it's based on java and second it's huge, needs a lot of memory and is kinda slow.

moztorrent hasn't any files available!

there is a new one called gnome-torrent (http://www.amedias.org/%7Ekoke/gnome-torrent/), looks really nice!That looks like exactly what I've been looking for. I've been using the official client but I keep wishing I could have more than 3 torrents open at once and Azureus is too fat/slow for me.

Thanks for the link.

Lunde
July 8th, 2005, 08:17 PM
I just don't understand why it should be a permanent part of the browser

rwabel
July 8th, 2005, 08:19 PM
I just don't understand why it should be a permanent part of the browser
other question, why shouldn't it? I like the idea to click on a torrent and that the browser handles the file as it is a normal download (just the torrent way)

poofyhairguy
July 8th, 2005, 08:27 PM
other question, why shouldn't it? I like the idea to click on a torrent and that the browser handles the file as it is a normal download (just the torrent way)

Because I bet my client will be better. If its just some simple bittorrent like thing, I don't want it.

I always uninstall bittorrent in Ubuntu. First thing I do. Bring on the backport bittornado!

rwabel
July 8th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Because I bet my client will be better. If its just some simple bittorrent like thing, I don't want it.

I always uninstall bittorrent in Ubuntu. First thing I do. Bring on the backport bittornado!
well, I like both. I like the simplicity of having it integrated in the browser. In the other hand I also like to have a little app which handles my torrents. Choices make the world go round :-)

Lunde
July 8th, 2005, 08:39 PM
well, I like both. I like the simplicity of having it integrated in the browser. In the other hand I also like to have a little app which handles my torrents. Choices make the world go round :-)
Maybe, why not? as long as I would be able to close the browser window, because torrent downloads may take some time

rwabel
July 8th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Maybe, why not? as long as I would be able to close the browser window, because torrent downloads may take some time
I'm using opera and I had no problem with closing the browser. by the way I seldom close the browser :-)
Have you tried the new opera yet?

Lunde
July 8th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I'm using opera and I had no problem with closing the browser. by the way I seldom close the browser :-)
Have you tried the new opera yet?
I hav'nt but I'm thinking about it, I should be more nationalistic, being Norwegian. How is it compered to firefox?

poofyhairguy
July 8th, 2005, 08:49 PM
I hav'nt but I'm thinking about it, I should be more nationalistic, being Norwegian. How is it compered to firefox?

Its faster and does many things out of the box...but I think it looks worse and it lacks all the extensions (it inspired many though)....

try the trial version....

Lunde
July 8th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Its faster and does many things out of the box...but I think it looks worse and it lacks all the extensions (it inspired many though)....

try the trial version....
Is it easy to remove again? I'm checking out the website now

rwabel
July 8th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Is it easy to remove again? I'm checking out the website now

right, you are from norway :-)

it's a deb file you can install via dpkg and also remove it like that!

it's way faster and consumes much less memory. But firefox has great extensions. I'm using both. They have both their strengths and weaknesses

Lunde
July 8th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Shoud be as easy as dpkg -r right?

Lunde
July 8th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Just downloaded it, I'll ive it a try tomorrow :-)

poofyhairguy
July 9th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Just downloaded it, I'll ive it a try tomorrow :-)

I want a review!

aragorn2909
July 9th, 2005, 07:41 AM
I want a review!

From a layman's perspective, 8.02 Preview is still Opera. Fast load, fast browsing, I love the pop-up blocker, yadda yadda yadda....However, its still Opera, which means its ugly imho. The torrent capability is a nice addition, although from just briefly looking at it, is overly simplistic, offering no controls whatsoever to the user. I prefer bittornado myself, and will continunue with it for my torrent downloads. Overall, I think this is a very good idea for browser integration, and we should continue to see it mature (hopefully) over the next couple of releases.

rwabel
July 9th, 2005, 02:33 PM
From a layman's perspective, 8.02 Preview is still Opera. Fast load, fast browsing, I love the pop-up blocker, yadda yadda yadda....However, its still Opera, which means its ugly imho. The torrent capability is a nice addition, although from just briefly looking at it, is overly simplistic, offering no controls whatsoever to the user. I prefer bittornado myself, and will continunue with it for my torrent downloads. Overall, I think this is a very good idea for browser integration, and we should continue to see it mature (hopefully) over the next couple of releases.
I just don't like that you have to open for each file a new one!

BWF89
July 9th, 2005, 06:58 PM
It's great that OSS is getting bigger but I would rather keep my browser (Firefox) and my BitTorrent cleint (BitTornado) seperate.