PDA

View Full Version : Why do linux have to be secure?

sapo
July 7th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Sorry for the title of the thread.. hope you understand what i m thinking...

i received a lot of newsletters yesterday that said that the guy who made the Sasser virus was condemned for making the virus... ok you all know it already... and a lot of companies all over the worl lost a lot of money...

But in all the news it was said: "The virus was made using a windows vulnerability".

And in the same news it was talking about microsoft as the "good guy", and as microsoft was proud for aresting this guy.

If you think about it... its his fault, he didnt need to make a virus, but the vulnerability was microsoft fault... and microsoft end up being the hero and then nobody speaks about the vulnerability that the virus used to damage the system..

So.. Linux people says "Linux is far more secure", but in my opinion users dont give a f**k about security... they use it cause its easier ](*,)

Those news just pissed me off ](*,)

NeoSNightmarE
July 7th, 2005, 07:24 AM
What you have to realize at the same time is that although Windows is crapware, it's an industry standard right now. And because microsoft has this standard they have to play politics to make as much money and be as worldly reconized as they are. It's a matter of pushing that fact that the problem was in the actual OS aside so that they get good publicity. Never right, but happens all of the time.

jeremy
July 7th, 2005, 11:21 AM
This doesn't make me angry at Microsoft, but the way that they use all kinds of dirty tricks to stifle the competition, and to influence and lobby politicians (eg. the recently rejected European software patents directive), does.

Lunde
July 7th, 2005, 12:07 PM
But I guess Linux user's give a f**k, that's what makes us different.

Politically / idealistic... the "general public" has a lot to learn from the Linux / Gnu / open source society.

Lord Illidan
July 7th, 2005, 12:29 PM
People also think that they can never be hacked or get a virus..thus they don't care about security...
I now only use MS when I have to, like right now, because it is my sister's computer, and I can't install Ubuntu..guess how many viruses and adware I find...