PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your computers?

Paradoxdruid
June 10th, 2007, 10:48 PM
My home computer is still pretty slick, but I've been looking to make it a little bit more up to date. Unfortunately, that causes a cascade of changes-- to get a new CPU, I need a new motherboard. If I get a new motherboard, I want new memory. The cost of changing the MB, CPU, and memory compared to everything else means that what I really probably want is a new computer.

What I want is a simple tower with a good MB with PCI-E, support for intel core 2 duo cpu, gigabit ethernet, decent sound. Then some 800 Mhz memory (2 or 4 GB), and a Intel E6420 2.13 Ghz Core 2 Duo or thereabouts CPU. I already have a great video card (256 MB nVidia PCI-E), all the hard drives I'll ever need, etc.

So, where do you buy your computer? Everywhere I've looked that offers actual systems either uses really cheapo MBs that don't have the features I want, or doesn't offer downgrade options like "no video card".

Moreover, it's hard to judge what the best deal is. So, fine folks of Ubuntu, where do you do your computer shopping?

SoulinEther
June 10th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Fry's, in store preferrably with their nice sales. Their online selling webiste www.frys.com really kind of sucks.

www.tigerdirect.com and www.newegg.com are two decent sources. Newegg has the best shipping reputation that I've seen... but I honestly prefer not to buy my computer parts online. Mailing system and delivery = wasted time, money, and potentail source of damage to my purchases.

Plus, the Dallas Morning News website hosts a virtual Fry's ad that directly replicates the one in the newspaper in my area, with the same sales and everything:
http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=2519

christhemonkey
June 10th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Used to go with aria.co.uk for pc parts but have found them to be slightly unreliable and not so favourable on prices...

So, try a google search :D

ajeffreys
June 10th, 2007, 10:57 PM
I brought mine from bestbuy, although my next one will be brought online.

Turboaaa2001
June 10th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Buy a computer??? I build mine. The only ones I buy are notebooks (since I don't have the parts). BTW I used to work for Circuit City as a PC Technician and they have a REALLY GOOD genuine warrenty so if you go with them get the warrenty.

Buying online is cheaper (of course) so if you do look for

HP
GateWay
Acer

Those brands have shown better quality then others. Still I build my own PCs and put Ubuntu or Fedora on them :biggrin:

Mark Martin
June 10th, 2007, 11:46 PM
i go to fry's and pick out hardware and motherboards when i build them.It's alot cheaper ,and i know what;s in them.IMO amd runs circles around intel ,I have both!

Spr0k3t
June 10th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I build my own as well. Most of the time I will gather a listing of the best prices for the system I want to build. Then I purchase the case locally from a mom&pop computer store to save money on shipping. Much of the components are OEM but I don't skimp on the mainboard, cpu, memory, or graphics card. My next step will be to go into water cooling my systems.

Sp4cedOut
June 10th, 2007, 11:55 PM
I built mine, bought the parts from newegg.com

I was very satisfied with newegg

SoulinEther
June 11th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Oh er yes I do build my own PCs. Fry's doesn't sell the pre-built ones THAT cheap.

jrusso2
June 11th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I build all mine also. Some of them are ten years old now and they all still run perfectly. When you buy a MFG PC most of the time they use the cheapest parts they can find.

Paradoxdruid
June 11th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the replies, all. I guess I should have specificed, I usually build me own computer, too. My current parts were purchased from tigerdirect.com, but I had some unreliable parts from them and a bad customer service experience, so I'd rather shop elsewhere. I guess Fry's or NewEgg are the places to check next. My nearest brick and mortar Fry's is about an hour and a half away... Hmm...

old_geekster
June 11th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Another DIY computer builder, here.

I built the rig in my "signature" for less than 50% of what it would have cost me to purchase it pre-built a year ago. Every component was leading edge at that time.

I used "newegg" for all of the purchases. I setup a spread-sheet to monitor prices of the major e-tailers. After price watching for several weeks, I found that overall, I could buy everything cheaper at the Egg.

One tip I believe works is, I placed everything on newegg's wish-list. Each item that I added went on sale within a few days. I don't believe that this was a coincidence. They watch the wish lists IMHO and put the items on sale to entice you to buy.

Try it.

If you decide to build your own, do a bunch of reasearch before purchasing any components. I found that certain manufacturers have great online tech websites; for instance, OCZ (PSU's and memory) and DFI (motherboards). Since you don't have a manufacturer to go to for assistance, this is of major importance. Another great example is Ubuntu and this forum.

If you haven't attempted to build your own rig, you are missing a great adventure and learning experience.;)

old_geekster
June 11th, 2007, 12:48 AM
[QUOTE=old_geekster;2819757]Another DIY computer builder, here.

I built the rig in my "signature" for less than 50% of what it would have cost me to purchase it pre-built a year ago. Every component was leading edge at that time.

I used "newegg" for all of the purchases. I setup a spread-sheet to monitor prices of the major e-tailers. After price watching for several weeks, I found that overall, I could buy everything cheaper at the Egg.

One tip I believe works is, I placed everything on newegg's wish-list. Each item that I added went on sale within a few days. I don't believe that this was a coincidence. They watch the wish lists IMHO and put the items on sale to entice you to buy.

Try it.

If you decide to build your own, do a bunch of reasearch before purchasing any components. I found that certain manufacturers have great online tech websites; for instance, OCZ (PSU's and memory) and DFI (motherboards). Since you don't have a manufacturer to go to for assistance, this is of major importance. Another great example is Ubuntu and this forum.

nalmeth
June 11th, 2007, 02:30 AM
I always go to Memory Express

I did some comparisons with the online stores, and they did usually beat Memory Express on price, but delivery times, and guarantees (including execution of that guarantee) made me go with Memory Express.

I paid about $10 - $25 more, but felt more comfortable with my purchases.

Maybe I'm just not ready to be an online shopper, I like cash transactions, hand to hand.
:biggrin:

Paradoxdruid
June 11th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Two follow-on questions:

1. Is it worth it to go to a brick and mortar Fry's, vs. buying components online?

2. So many processor developments have happened since I built my last computer-- for desktops, which processors are currently on top, AMD or Intel Core 2 Duo? In terms of computing power and efficiency, I guess.

Thanks!

goumples
June 11th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I've bought computer parts from all kinds of places... yard sales, eBay, tiger direct, best buy. I think if you want to buy a complete kit pre-built, a refurbished tiger direct buy is probably the best way to go.

PartisanEntity
June 11th, 2007, 06:41 PM
It depends on where I find a good offer, I have purchased computers from Dell, Conrad Electronics as well as Cosmos. I used to buy parts from Birg but they shut down.

happy-and-lost
June 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM
First one I had a choice in...

Tesco!

Seriously, £350 for 1Ghz AMD 128MB RAM HP PC + Scanner + Printer + Webcam + peripherals etc. Was a good deal 5 years ago.

And it runs faster today than it did when new. That's Debian, baby.

jgrabham
June 11th, 2007, 08:23 PM
First one I had a choice in...

Tesco!

Seriously, £350 for 1Ghz AMD 128MB RAM HP PC + Scanner + Printer + Webcam + peripherals etc. Was a good deal 5 years ago.

And it runs faster today than it did when new. That's Debian, baby.

Tesco have strangely cheap computers - not as much as they used to, but still!

Turboaaa2001
June 13th, 2007, 02:37 AM
I build all mine also. Some of them are ten years old now and they all still run perfectly. When you buy a MFG PC most of the time they use the cheapest parts they can find.

As a PC tech that USED to work for a certain Red logod company known for lay-offs over the past year, I know what parts go into MFG PC's.

Have you ever heard of the Sea Breeze MOBO? I found that a ton of Gateways and HPs have these beverage named boards. I loved the one MOBO named after some primate, I forget the actual name but it performed as if it was S*** thrown by one.

Mom$Pop shops are the best. I just discovered one here in Virginia (USA) that does LAN parties, have huge leather couches with 360's and PS3's (when working :-({|= ) playing guitar hero, they build systems and buy systems.

They have a REALLY nice rig for $200 USD that I could use. Of course my wife won't let me spend anymore money for another computer. I guess having 10 computers is enough :sad:

Compucore
June 13th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Depending on what I am looking for sometime I'll go to the local Microbytes store http://www.microbytes.com/computer/ordinateur/index.php or if I am in a contact with a friend that knows someone from Ingram Micro or Tech data for example I'll go with them tp purchase the parts that I need to get. I'll usually go through where some of the local dealers will go it is usually cheaper than what you get at the local store.

Compucore

southernman
June 13th, 2007, 04:53 AM
I saw the other day, Dell SB has a pretty nice rig (tower only) for like 279. Has no OS - well FreeDOS, but who needs that other brand of stuff anyway!

Check out Dealwatcher or go to dells small business site for specifics.

wolfen69
June 13th, 2007, 05:03 AM
for as long as i live, i'll never buy another pre-assembled pc. i like getting my hands dirty. some of my fondest memories are of me and my buddy john ordering parts off newegg, and just emercing ourselves in our sh*t. my last pre built was 98.

tunes goin, chillin

WalmartSniperLX
June 13th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Newegg.com all the way. I order the parts and build it when It comes home.

Spr0k3t
June 13th, 2007, 06:38 AM
1. Is it worth it to go to a brick and mortar Fry's, vs. buying components online?

2. So many processor developments have happened since I built my last computer-- for desktops, which processors are currently on top, AMD or Intel Core 2 Duo? In terms of computing power and efficiency, I guess.

1. Do all of your shopping online first. You will be able to get information on reviews, compatibility, rebate information, and bottom dollar figures. Second, visit the bricks&mortar store for a good laugh on retail prices. You can usually find the same equipment in OEM form. OEM is almost the same as retail without extra cables, card adverts, glitzy store boxes, and about 5-35% cheaper. That said, do the motherboard as a retail purchase... that is the only important one for any special cables, good manuals, etc.

2. C2D is your biggest bang for buck right now. If you want some good computing power that's cheap, check into a conroe 6300E or 6400E. Intel just released their xx20 line of the conroe so the xx00 cores will be a little cheaper.

I've got both AMD FX64 X2 and a C2D processor with boards to go with each. While the AMD is a smidge bit faster on the clock the C2D comes back with better scores... and I've OCd the AMD.

kuja
June 13th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Piece by piece, from various internet stores like newegg and tigerdirect, of course :)

Turboaaa2001
June 13th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Two follow-on questions:

Thanks!

Up u0ntil the Core 2 Duo line came out AMD was always the better buy. However Intel is top-dog now and this really upsets me. I am boy-cotting them dur to the fact they are competing with OLPC!!! It's a good business move for them because it opens a multi-billion customer market, but it's bad for the use of technology to better man-kind. (I will start a thread later)

I currently have
Core 2 Duo E6400 OC from 2.13 - 2.71 w/ stock cooler
BFG Tech nVidia 680i MOBO
2GB RAM
160GB HD

As you can see I overclocked my E6400 w/ stock cooler without problems. I could go higher but I just moved everything to a server case (to add water-cooling later) and my temps are up by 10 -20* C so I don't want to push it.

I am looking for AMD's comeback. But for now Intel has the better CPU, I will have to live with that until I'm done maxing out the Intel socket board I have :sad:

Spr0k3t
June 13th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Newegg has fantastic customer service. Just check their ratings over at pricegrabber.com and you'll see what I mean. Another great place with exellent customer service is ZipZoomFly. They have slightly higher prices than Newegg, but they also have some items you can't get at Newegg like the Ultra power supplies and whatnot. One thing to note about Newegg... not everything at newegg is the same as what you find at other online stores. I was about to purchase a color laser printer through newegg then I found the printer did not have the network jack like I found at all other stores... exact same model number. Just read the reviews if you find something you like... the reviews will tell you the best personal customer service issues across the board.