PDA

View Full Version : Next linux os

ajeffreys
June 10th, 2007, 10:46 PM
After having used ubuntu for a while and accidently removing windows :), I would like to install another distro in a dual-boot with ubuntu which is already on my computer. So, the question is which distro should i install next? Please can you post ideas with reasons as i would really appreciate it :)

SoulinEther
June 10th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I hear a lot of good things about openSUSE.

Or you could try Debian and get that nice original feeling.

thisllub
June 10th, 2007, 10:58 PM
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Znupi
June 10th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Myself I think I'm gonna try linux mint next time :D.

Adamant1988
June 10th, 2007, 11:00 PM
If you want to see professional polish I would go with openSuSE. It's difficult to find a more polished, professional distribution than that. beware though, they are not as liberal as Ubuntu with non-free software.

floke
June 10th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Try distrowatch - and read some reviews
PCLinuxOS is very good, as is LinuxMint. SuSe is over-rated IMO; Sabayon is good - Pardus is definetly worth a look (deserves a higher distrowatch rating) but try the live CDs out first. Also - some linuxes will wipe your grub and only recognise themselves (eg Sabayon) - so watch out.

floke
June 10th, 2007, 11:02 PM
If you want to see professional polish I would go with openSuSE. It's difficult to find a more polished, professional distribution than that. beware though, they are not as liberal as Ubuntu with non-free software.

Polished? Professional?

Rubbish.

It's a myth.

Adamant1988
June 10th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Polished? Professional?

Rubbish.

It's a myth.

I use it. The only trouble I ever had with it was 10.1 with the package manager, which is really becoming a non-issue as it's being phased out in favor of YaST2. Past that, it's a wonderful distribution with great features and polish. It has consistent, beautiful theming and artwork, as well as the most capable GUI configuration tools available in a Linux distribution today.

floke
June 10th, 2007, 11:09 PM

Look Adam, I'm not getting into a row over it. I really couldn't care less.
If you like it then great, that's what it's all about. You should use what works for you, and I would certainly recommend trying suse at least.

For me though, it takes ages to boot, looks crap (what's with the amateurish - like 1980s amateurish - timer for mouse actions?) and while the package manager is better than it gets credit for (if you turn Zen off) it's still not a patch on apt-get. Plus, they have that crappy MS deal.

I tried, I gave it a fair crack, I dpn't like it. But if you haven;t tried it you should. And I will certainly try 10.3.

juxtaposed
June 10th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Re: Next linux os

Debian, Fefora, Blag, etc.

luca_linux
June 10th, 2007, 11:15 PM
ARCHLINUX (http://www.archlinux.org)

No doubt, it's really great! And I really like their "rolling-release" system.

floke
June 10th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Arch have no live CD though, right?
And Debian wouldn't run my wifi w/out serious kernel mods (not happy)
Anyhow - you should try them all! :p

SoulinEther
June 10th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Gutsy maybe? ^^

smoker
June 11th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Blag will send you a free cd, free post also, received mine last week, and hope to try it next weekend.
http://www.blagblagblag.org/

ajeffreys
June 11th, 2007, 06:40 AM
The linux from scratch site looked interesting, and I may try that as it would also teach me more about linux :)