sanderella
June 10th, 2007, 06:13 PM
List your favourite hates! Mine are

1984 by George Orwell
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

:(

shen-an-doah
June 10th, 2007, 06:38 PM
The Crucible by Arthur Miller (though technically it's a play)
Daz 4 Zoe by Robert Swindells

God I hated studying those at school.

jgrabham
June 10th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Lord of the rings (zzzzz)

Golyadkin
June 10th, 2007, 06:51 PM
To me, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea (http://books.android42.net/view/book/10) by Jules Verne was a huge disappointment. I couldn't get through it, it was horribly boring...

I programmed an online webapplication (http://books.android42.net) about my book collection, if anyone is interested, take a look please!

MonkeyBoy
June 10th, 2007, 06:54 PM
All the Harry Potters. Utter rubbish all of it.

shen-an-doah
June 10th, 2007, 07:01 PM
To me, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea (http://books.android42.net/view/book/10) by Jules Verne was a huge disappointment. I couldn't get through it, it was horribly boring...

I programmed an online webapplication (http://books.android42.net) about my book collection, if anyone is interested, take a look please!

Someone kinda beat you to it: http://www.librarything.com/

juxtaposed
June 10th, 2007, 07:03 PM
List your favourite hates! Mine are

1984 by George Orwell
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

:(

Really?

I liked them both.

Aldous Huxley was a very smart person.

ankursethi
June 10th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I don't quite like Harry Potter, although I have all of them and I'll be ordering the new one as well. Sounds weird, but I've grown up on it and I really want to see how it ends. Taking a literary point of view, the entire thing is not very creative. It's just a mashup of some old myths and a couple Disney Channel "movies". The writing style, I'm afraid, doesn't compare to Tolkein.

reclusivemonkey
June 10th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Really?

I liked them both.

Aldous Huxley was a very smart person.

Have you read "The Doors of Perception"?

juxtaposed
June 10th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Have you read "The Doors of Perception"?

Yes, it was really good.

I also read Heaven and Hell (which was included with The Doors of Perception) and Island.

Brave New World Revisited was included with Brave New World, and it was good too. It's amazing how smart he is.

I read part of Point Counter Point but I didn't like it so I didn't finish it.

reclusivemonkey
June 10th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I love pretty much any dystopia novel =]

I think my favourite is probably Fahrenheit 451, not to be confused with the Michael Moore movie, and don't be put off by the awful film (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060390/).

Sorry, shouldn't really hijack the thread with favourites!

MonkeyBoy
June 10th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Anything by James Patterson is also crap.

timpino
June 10th, 2007, 08:45 PM
The Trial by Franz Kafka - Probably my worst read ever, had to read it for a book report and it took me around 4 weeks to finish the blody thing. Could be fun if you like gray and sweating people.. :/

Lord of the Rings - Well I've probably read worse, but as theese books are so critically aclaimed, I hoped for better. the ~1000 pages could easily be edited to around 500 pages and still allow it to be a slow book. All the verses and songs annoyed me and just to much detail on totally insignificant parts.

Crossroads of Twilight - While I don't really dislike this book, the fact that it takes ~800 pages to further the series by one (1) day annoys me, also suffers from tolkien-like attention to details totally unimportant. Still it does a good job of setting everything up for book 11 Knife of Dreams which was a blast :)

Golyadkin
June 10th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Someone kinda beat you to it: http://www.librarything.com/

Well, not quite :) my project was done in early 2004 :)

iceportal
June 10th, 2007, 10:18 PM
So many good books listed as hates... But that's how opinion works, I guess.

I must say, my all-time-least-favourite-book-evar is "Great Expectations."

My favourite part of the book is when Miss Havisham catches fire. But everything before and after that is droll, and even the fire scene is slow.

But I did see a made-for-tv-movie of Great Expectations once...

It was so terrible that it became entertaining.

I'd never watch it again, but it was fun while it lasted.

YoungCthulhu
June 11th, 2007, 04:27 AM
The Alienist, by Caleb Carr.
My most recent pet hate. Cloying political correctness ruined a good plot. I felt like I was being "educated" with a view to making me feel even guiltier about my white Anglo-Saxon past. A puking read.

machoo02
June 11th, 2007, 04:49 AM
A Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger

I read this over the course of a day or so, and I was really mad by the end of it. I've seen terrible episodes of Seinfeld that have had more of a plot than this novel....

yabbadabbadont
June 11th, 2007, 04:53 AM
The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne

I had the misfortune of being required to read, and analyze in excruciating detail, that book by an English teacher who loved it. At least she didn't mind opposing points of view, as long as they were polite and well reasoned.

RAV TUX
June 11th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Confusions of a Crap Artist
Philip K. ****

Tux Aubrey
June 11th, 2007, 05:28 AM
"Oscar and Lucinda" by Peter Carey is still at the bottom of my barrel after 10 years.

(I actually waded through this to the very end and then threw it at a wall)

muguwmp67
June 11th, 2007, 05:34 AM
"7-habits for highly effective people" and any other Steven Covey book.

Soarer
June 11th, 2007, 08:44 AM
The Magus - John Fowles.

I loved The French Lieutenant's Woman, enjoyed Daniel Martin and thought Fowles probably deserved his stellar reputation (here in the UK). Then I read this, which I firmly believe is an act of torture committed by the author on the reader, deliberately. Which, given the book, is sort of fitting, if that was what was intended.

Not to be confused with the excellent poem by T.S. Elliot - The Journey of the Magi (http://www.blight.com/~sparkle/poems/magi.html)

sanderella
June 11th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Paul and Virginia. by Bernardin de Saint-Pierre is really really naff, I mean AWFUL.:cry:

Rui Pais
June 11th, 2007, 02:28 PM
The Trial by Franz Kafka - Probably my worst read ever, had to read it for a book report and it took me around 4 weeks to finish the blody thing. Could be fun if you like gray and sweating people.. :/

Lord of the Rings - Well I've probably read worse, but as theese books are so critically aclaimed, I hoped for better. the ~1000 pages could easily be edited to around 500 pages and still allow it to be a slow book. All the verses and songs annoyed me and just to much detail on totally insignificant parts.
++
the only thing i managed to finish from kafka was 'the metamorphosis' (cause is short). The others are endless boring... an extremely overpraised author.

'The lord of rings' fame is a mystery to me too... i think most people have seen the movies, buy the books and give them a quick eye... They heavy, dense and boring. I can't imagine a lot of people reading that for pleasure...
I read it a long time ago, when i was a teenager and skip loads of pages and never managed to get my way with all that ethnics and folklore and fake cultures and history, I always mixing names, tribes, myths...

I have a pet hate for writers who are very praised but i never find whats they have in special (not speaking of commercial garbage, like Paulo Coelho, Castaneda and so on...) but serious ones. Kafka, Hemingway, Orwell, Yourcenar are the first they came to my mind.

The most recently i've read that are tramp but very praised by critics:
Kafka on the shore-Murakami. (Why 600 pages? for a bad constructed tale that smells like new-age/cheep-mysticism on each page a simple 100~200 pages would be more then enough... are all the books of him so weak?)
As Intermitências da Morte-Saramago (Seems that he's finally senile, so i no long expect much more)
La possibilité d'une Île- HouellebecQ (No images. Internet have sites more efficient then that... Well i just read the fist 30, 40 pages. I think this ones will go directly to the trash can)

wieman01
June 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM
The New York Trilogy - Paul Auster
Moon Palace - Paul Auster
Hand to Mouth - Paul Auster
Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World - Haruki Murakami
Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami

I don't recommend neither Paul Auster nor Murakami. Most overrated writers I know (well, maybe next to Neal Stephenson).

Rui Pais
June 11th, 2007, 02:43 PM
damn it!
How do i forgot Aster in my basic list of bad writers overpraised. The guy is terrible!

Two more (bad beyond description):
Creation- Gore Vidal
Amsterdam-McEwan.

wieman01
June 11th, 2007, 02:46 PM
damn it!
How do i forgot Aster in my basic list of bad writers overpraised. The guy is terrible!
I have to give him credit though... he wrote one book that really got me thrilled: "City of last things". But that one is an exception to the rule. :-) But that's because I love Orwell and the likes.

Rui Pais
June 11th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I have to give him credit though... he wrote one book that really got me thrilled: "City of last things". But that one is an exception to the rule. :-) But that's because I love Orwell and the likes.

Strange thing! I almost added a line like yours on my comment... but in my case it was Leviathan (a good book, at least imaginative and well constricted).
But never read the one you mention.

wieman01
June 11th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Strange thing! I almost added a line like yours on my comment... but in my case it was Leviathan (a good book, at least imaginative and well constricted).
But never read the one you mention.
Haha... And I am about to read Leviathan. Got a copy a while ago but kept on finding excuses for not reading it. Guess it's about time then.

Nonetheless, the guy is overrated. :-)

Rui Pais
June 11th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Haha... And I am about to read Leviathan. Got a copy a while ago but kept on finding excuses for not reading it. Guess it's about time then.
Nonetheless, the guy is overrated. :-)
Overrated!

The guy is lazy. Storys are bad planned, written in an hurry.
(i think after he got famous his just after the money)