PDA

View Full Version : how am I actually going to be able to do this?

speedingbullet
June 10th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Before summer I was thinking of trying to buy old - semi new computers (with 1998 being the manufactured cut off date. Since windows 98, ME, and 2000 are old, still costly, and unreliable (although windows 98 is good), I was going to install Xubuntu over them, and sell them back along with any other upgrades.

When i told my friend this, he wasn't too impressed. He pointed out to me that people would get angry at me because Xubuntu was confusing and different from windows.

part of the conversation was like this:

Friend: Alright, Ill play the role of a person who is using the xubuntu thing.

Friend: ALRIGHT, NOW I WANNA PLAY A F****** GAME! WERE THE F*** ARE THEY!

Me: I doubt most computer users act like rednecks when they're at a computer.....

Friend: You'd be surprised about how many people do.

Me: well still, the games aren't that hard to find. *shows him*

Friend: They're not going to know that....

Me: So I'll make a manual and make copies of it to whoever buys a computer from me.

Friend: They're not going to want to read all that.

Friend: You see, Microsoft knows their customers, and the made windows easy for stupid people like me.

Although my friend is kind of uneducated in this area, he still made some good points, and I'm almost not willing for my customers to choose windows to be installed on the computers I sell to them because windows XP would just bog older computers down, and windows vista wont even run on most older computers.

So how would I actually be able to grab an average joe's interest in my computers when I'll only have Linux running on them?

Feba
June 10th, 2007, 02:13 PM
He's assuming that people are intelligent enough to find games on windows, but not linux. Seriously, compare Applications -> Games to Start->Program Files->Games

In my experience, linux has been much more "duuuhh" than windows. Just give people a link to the ubuntu wiki, a link to the forums, and tell them you're always ready to help.

I'm sure there's a lot of people that want a modern computer, but can only afford a couple hundred dollars.

You might also consider PClinuxOS though

DeadSuperHero
June 11th, 2007, 04:57 AM
For absolute morons, make a distro of Xubuntu with the "Add/Remove Programs" app on the desktop, with a big icon. Add lots of repositories.
Though, I think maybe regular Ubuntu would work decently on them, too.

SoulinEther
June 11th, 2007, 05:02 AM
And make sure you have a script on the desktop to "Install eb1l proprietary format support on this computer", but make it more discreet, and have it do something like sudo apt-get install ...ubuntu...extra... something... whatever it is!

This sounds like a good idea, though you might want to go with Fluxbuntu, maybe.

And if you get any computers with Windows 2000 and they have their CoA and authentication code.... can I buy it off of you? I need one for a VirtualBox... hehe.