PDA

View Full Version : Just found Linux Bible from year 2000

Koori23
June 10th, 2007, 07:19 AM
I re-discovered an interesting artifact from my past while cleaning out my garage.. It's the "Caldera OpenLinux Bible" circa year 2000.. With the CD still inside!.. So what does Eric do, he installs it.. Oh my god, what a difference 7 years makes. I'm making this post on this system. Sort of. By "sort of", I mean, I basically get the standard html but it's pretty fuzzy after that. I'm using Netscape Navigator.. and any system theme I choose, it's really really ugly. I do have WordPerfect, XChess, RealPlayer and this XEyes thing (Not quite sure why that exists, it reminds me of Clippy somewhat.)

I'm doing all this to teach myself a lesson.. Next time Linux pisses me off; remember my experience with Open Linux and be very glad I don't live in that world anymore.

mouseboyx
June 10th, 2007, 07:43 AM
How old is your computer?
I wouldn't expect that CD to work with most new computers.

SoulinEther
June 10th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Don't tempt me to try Mandrake linux, or Mandriva.

Or... Turbolinux for that matter.

The Noble
June 10th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I still have mandrake CD's. I think they are version 10.1. Oh man, Thank God for vmware or else I'd just HAVE to wipe my hard drive for a test drive.

EDIT: I just thought up one horrible thought: Damn Small Linux's first release. Anyone tried it? It must look horrid!

gilgongo
June 10th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Ah yeah! XEyes! Why did they always bundle that in those days? I remember installing Red Hat 3 and it had it by default. Incredibly distracting and idiotic. Hard to believe these were supposed to be serious desktop installations.