PDA

View Full Version : Easy experiments for home

wie6Ein0
June 10th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Here's how this is going to work... We each are going to tell how to do a small, but neat, experiment at home. It will be fun! :p

Here's mine:

Requirements
*Empty aluminum soda can
*Heat source (stove top, open flame, etc.)
*Water
*Gloves or other hand protection
*Bowl/Container

Instructions
1) Take an empty aluminum soda can and fill it with about an inch of water. It should be easy enough to estimate an inch.
2) Place the can over a heat source. Leave it until it the water begins to boil I used a stove top.
3) Fill a bowl with cold water. I used a regular soup bowl. Use an ice cube if it's not very cold.
4) Once the can of water has boiled enough, take it and drop it upside down into the bowl of cold water. Keep it straight. Don't let the hot water escape.

DO NOT PURPOSELY SUBMERGE THE CAN UNDER THE WATER!

If everything is done correctly, the can should crush itself. It's fun to show people who have never seen it done.

SoulinEther
June 10th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Yep... boiling water is at the latent heat of vaporization, where some water is steam - H2O molecules moving at a higher speed. The steam in the can replaces the regular atmospheric gases originally inside the can, and when you dunk its only source of ventilation under water, when the can's water cools, the steam returns to its liquid state, and with no H2O violently flying around inside the can, atmospheric pressure takes over and crushes it down to size.

Ah. I liked taking chemistry and physics. :)

wie6Ein0
June 10th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Ah. I liked taking chemistry and physics. :)

Then hopefully you can offer to us another experiment to try out?

TBOL3
June 10th, 2007, 05:19 AM
How long can a penuit burn?

You will need a can, with a slight bit of water. Light the penuit on fire, right under the can. (You know the little crevas that are on the bottom of cans? Try to get the penuit close to that) Measure the temperature of the water before and after the burning. I can't remember how, but that will tell you how many calories the penuit had.

wie6Ein0
June 10th, 2007, 05:26 AM
How long can a penuit burn?

You will need a can, with a slight bit of water. Light the penuit on fire, right under the can. (You know the little crevas that are on the bottom of cans? Try to get the penuit close to that) Measure the temperature of the water before and after the burning. I can't remember how, but that will tell you how many calories the penuit had.

I think that you mean PEANUT

Here's a link to information about this experiment: http://www.exo.net/~pauld/activities/food/burnapeanut.html

Iarwain ben-adar
June 10th, 2007, 07:55 AM
How to make a PLASTIC bottle explode?

Fill a bottle with water so that it's filled for half. Then add dry ice (co2), but be quick about it, because it makes some funny sounds :D
Screw the cap on the bottle, and stand back

Enjoy (we did this on school :D)

Iarwain

mips
June 10th, 2007, 01:54 PM
How to make a bottle explode?

Fill a bottle with water so that it's filled for half. Then add dry ice (co2), but be quick about it, because it makes some funny sounds :D
Screw the cap on the bottle, and stand back

Enjoy (we did this on school :D)

Iarwain

I can allready see a few egits impregnated with glass shards, no eyes, fingers etc.

jgrabham
June 10th, 2007, 02:00 PM
OK, we probs cant do this but it was on brainiac - lump of potasium - in washing machine - turn on - run!

use a name
June 10th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Take a teabag, open it carefully, without damaging it, get rid of the tea, unfold it and open it like a tube. Put it upright and light it on the top. Just at the moment the flames reach the bottom it will go up. :) So, put it on something inflamable and make sure nothing highly flamable is around.

Be careful with fire though.

Golyadkin
June 10th, 2007, 02:47 PM
NEVER DO THIS ONE INSIDE! (or on a nice white wall)

What you need:

1) an old tennisball
2) about 100 matches, maybe 200
3) the boxes the matches came in
4) scissors
5) duct tape (or other tape)
6) safety goggles

Take the old tennisball and make a little hole in it about the size of your thumb nail. Break the sulphur heads off all the matches and fill the tennisball with it. Take the strips that you strike the match on (don't know what they are called) and also put them inside the ball, facing the inside. Try and fill up the ball as much as you can with the match-heads. Put tape over the opening (which acts as a firing cap), put the safety goggles on and throw the ball against a brick wall so the tape hits the wall for best effect.

Now get a broom and start cleaning the backyard :D

Golyadkin
June 12th, 2007, 12:39 AM
And then this thread was silent.... you didn't all throw exploding tennisballs right?

*drops pin*

sabrewolf2006
June 12th, 2007, 01:00 AM
LMFAO!!! :D

Awesome

Someone's gotta put a vid on youtube of that :D