PDA

View Full Version : Your views on providing unofficial commerical linux support?

Old Pink
June 10th, 2007, 02:25 AM
http://www.mbhoy.com/09-06-2007/helping-you-go-linux-my-ideas

Remember, I'm not looking to be flamed, but realize I'm open to that.

It was just a thought I had, as I explain there.

What do you think of it? :)

mech7
June 10th, 2007, 02:28 AM
As long as it is good support and people are willing to pay why not.

jgrabham
June 10th, 2007, 02:28 AM
People need it!

starcraft.man
June 10th, 2007, 02:32 AM
which should reach a little further a little faster than simply posting on forums.

Uh.... *blinks at screen* what do you mean by "a little further"? Not to mention I don't think it gets much faster than this forum in the beginner section. I'd say 90% of posts get at least one response (if not more) inside of 20-30 minutes with the right answer.

Anyway, best of luck if thats what you want. I'm sticking to the forums.

Old Pink
June 10th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Uh.... *blinks at screen* what do you mean by "a little further"? Not to mention I don't think it gets much faster than this forum in the beginner section. I'd say 90% of posts get at least one response (if not more) inside of 20-30 minutes with the right answer.

I know, these forums are amazing, don't know where I'd be without them.

It's just an idea, and you realize typing it out that there are other alternatives (such as canonical and these forums) and in reality your "amazing" idea does have a negative side.

So that's just a little advertising pitch. To avoid flames, and to make myself feel better. :P

starcraft.man
June 10th, 2007, 02:48 AM
I know, these forums are amazing, don't know where I'd be without them.

It's just an idea, and you realize typing it out that there are other alternatives (such as canonical and these forums) and in reality your "amazing" idea does have a negative side.

So that's just a little advertising pitch. To avoid flames, and to make myself feel better. :P

Hehe, well the more the merrier... I do imagine doing all that support alone will take up your time though (I assume your doing it alone). At least on these forums when I log off at night or go away I know there are like 100 super active users and other assorted people to pitch in, if your alone thats it for your user base...

Anyway, I'm just a bit of a Protoss Grump :p Best of luck to ya, anything that spreads/helps Ubuntu is welcome here :).

smoker
June 10th, 2007, 03:03 AM
it's an idea, but will it be worthwhile? if you charge £2.50 for a one off fix, then how much will you have left by the time paypal, visa, banks, whatever, all take their slice?

a possibility is maybe visit a few pc build/repair shops in your area, offer them a deal, you install and offer support for ubuntu sold pc's for a fee, and also, any customer with other linux distro problems may be referred back to you also! anyway, just an idea...

Old Pink
June 11th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Hehe, well the more the merrier... I do imagine doing all that support alone will take up your time though (I assume your doing it alone). At least on these forums when I log off at night or go away I know there are like 100 super active users and other assorted people to pitch in, if your alone thats it for your user base...

Anyway, I'm just a bit of a Protoss Grump :p Best of luck to ya, anything that spreads/helps Ubuntu is welcome here :).

Yes but once it gets too much to handle, if ever, I could simply let someone else (pre-approved, etc) have access to my side of the system, and let them take their own income from it, halving the workload, halving the pay, halving response time. :)