PDA

View Full Version : I got a new keyboard!!!!!! (model m)

%hMa@?b<C
June 10th, 2007, 01:35 AM
I found an old IBM model M at my dads work the other day. I brought it home and rewired it for a ps/2 port. The click noise is fun! The keys do seem a bit harder to press though. I am not so sure if I like it! *click, click, click*
:)

RAV TUX
June 10th, 2007, 05:05 AM
I found an old IBM model M at my dads work the other day. I brought it home and rewired it for a ps/2 port. The click noise is fun! The keys do seem a bit harder to press though. I am not so sure if I like it! *click, click, click*
:)cool do you have a picture, and exactly what model is it?

specifically is it a 1391401?

reference this site for exact identification:
http://www.clickykeyboard.com/buyersguide.htm

%hMa@?b<C
June 10th, 2007, 06:33 PM
cool do you have a picture, and exactly what model is it?

specifically is it a 1391401?

reference this site for exact identification:
http://www.clickykeyboard.com/buyersguide.htm

yep, its that one. Why, is that one expensive? Should I sell it? lol

gvoima
June 10th, 2007, 06:39 PM
No don't sell it, enjoy the the joys it gives you :)

Do some hardcore programming ^^

jgrabham
June 10th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Wow, I know my keyboards old (1994 ish), but,

Ireclan
June 10th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Congratulations, jeffc313. I myself have a model M, and am VERY proud of it. It brings me joy just thinking about it. I hope you develop a similar attachment to yours. I assume you already know the benefits of having a Model M?

%hMa@?b<C
June 10th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Congratulations, jeffc313. I myself have a model M, and am VERY proud of it. It brings me joy just thinking about it. I hope you develop a similar attachment to yours. I assume you already know the benefits of having a Model M?

some, but not all. Please enlighten me :)

jgrabham
June 10th, 2007, 08:08 PM

No key with something which may have once been meant to represent a window on it!

SoulinEther
June 10th, 2007, 08:12 PM
What?? THEN HOW COULD YOU ENJOY THE LOVELY SUPERKEY+TAB ???

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. Remap it to alt-tab i guess, hehe.

Ireclan
June 10th, 2007, 08:36 PM

Well, a model M keyboard is essentially a vintage piece of hardware that is both long-lasting and durable. They are more durable than modern keyboards due to a solid metal plate, which runs through the length of the keyboard. They are long-lasting due to the mechanism in which they register keystrokes (via a patented "buckling spring" design), which stands the test of time much longer than their modern counterparts (which register keystrokes using a rubber dome technology and lack the reinforcement of a metal plate). Some model M's come with their own detachable key caps (try yours by grasping any key firmly and squeezing its top and bottom with some hefty pressure while pulling upwards) to aid in cleaning under the keys and internal drainage channels, to minimize the damage should a beverage or other liquid spill on it. Add this to the invaluable tactile feedback you get from pressing each key (the click-CLACK sound), which aids those who are fast typists, and you get the king of keyboards. Some additional "perks" (depending on how you view them) are the fact that they lack filthy Microsoft branding (in the form of the "Windows" key) and that they're heavy-duty enough to kill someone with (and STILL function).

iMav
August 23rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
For those that dislike the (IMHO) useless numpad, go for the Model M, 84-key, space saver model. See a pic here (http://www.uhhh.org/~lherzog/blog-images/2040131-001.jpg).