PDA

View Full Version : Will paper become obsolete soon?

Somenoob
June 9th, 2007, 10:28 PM
More and more business enterprises are storing their info on storage devices the same goes for some individuals. But I doubt it, writing on paper will probably become an ancient practice sooner or later, but many do still prefer physical books over ebooks, like me.

What do you think?

jgrabham
June 9th, 2007, 10:29 PM
My science textbook is on a CD (which only runs on windows)

orange2k
June 9th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I don`t think any electronic media storage device is going to replace paper anytime soon.
This especially goes for toilet paper - how do you think you`re going to wipe your *** with CD-s or anything similair?

Somenoob
June 9th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I don`t think any electronic media storage device is going to replace paper anytime soon.
This especially goes for toilet paper - how do you think you`re going to wipe your *** with CD-s or anything similair?

Their making new USB memory keys for that purpose.

FuturePilot
June 9th, 2007, 10:39 PM
No. They said that when computers first started to become popular. In fact computers didn't cut down on the use of paper they increased it.

Lord Illidan
June 9th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Hmm, that could be uncomfortable..

But I don't think the paperless office is going to be a reality in the next 10 years, we still use paper a lot. And so far, it has proven to be the most reliable medium.

For example, we can read manuscripts written >1000 years ago, like the Dead Sea Scrolls or the original Domesday book.

However, the BBC Domesday project, published in 1986:
In 2002 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002), there were great fears that the discs would become unreadable as computers capable of reading the format had become rare (and drives capable of accessing the discs even rarer). Aside from the difficulty of emulating the original code, a major issue was that the still images had been stored on the laserdisc as single-frame analogue video, which were overlaid (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=GENLOCK&action=edit) by the computer system's graphical interface. The project had begun years before JPEG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG) image compression and before truecolour (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truecolor) computer video cards had become widely available.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Domesday_Project

Of course, the use of open formats could mean that we'll get a bit more longevity..but technology still remains less reliable. For example, floppies are no longer used as much, if at all. My friend's dad had a bunch of accounting information stored in floppies...he lost them all, because they were in an obscure format.

Regarding books to ebooks, I prefer books. My eyes don't hurt as much, and nothing rivals the feel of being snug in a couch with a book in your hands. Even the smell of the book and the texture of the pages enhances your experience.

jgrabham
June 9th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Bidet?

orange2k
June 9th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Well I already imagined the USB stick being used for another purpose than intended...
But it better have a REAL good memory capacity for doing THAT...:)

edit: oh, nevermind

smoker
June 9th, 2007, 11:58 PM
paper is such a useful commodity that it will be around for a long time to come, it would be good though if paper that didn't come from trees could be produced:D

TBOL3
June 10th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Are you talking about the all new digital but wipers?

ThinkBuntu
June 10th, 2007, 12:59 AM
I can spend about twice as long in a book without my eyes hurting. That's why, whenever possible, I prefer paper.

BoyOfDestiny
June 10th, 2007, 01:18 AM
More and more business enterprises are storing their info on storage devices the same goes for some individuals. But I doubt it, writing on paper will probably become an ancient practice sooner or later, but many do still prefer physical books over ebooks, like me.

What do you think?

My handwriting has become worse and worse since I type much more than I write. Although I never earned A's in penmanship anyway...

That aside, I love books (especially hardback) I currently picked up the Lord of the Rings trilogy from Barnes & Noble. The pages are beautiful, has some illustrations, pages literally shine. The texture of the cover with the gold lettering and insignia... Reading it on a screen or something wouldn't be the same. Also, easier on the eyes I think, since the light source isn't the book itself...

Anyway, I'd hope for more paperless offices, and turning in homework electronically. I've wasted so many pages of paper printing full essays not to mention loads of drafts (currently don't miss being in school.)

Personally. not a huge fan of newspaper (except for the 'funnies'). I find the stories a bit out of date and some issues skipped, so I just stick to the net now. I'm glad they used mixed fresh and recycled paper or pure recycled nowadays. Back during middle school I had gone on a field trip to a local newspaper... The huge rolls of paper, just for a small newspaper, I could imagine the amount on a larger scale... Too much I think.

Ultimately, I hope paper won't be going away, although that would put an end to pesky paper cuts... I do like it for certain things.

maniacmusician
June 10th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Not soon. in a decade or so, maybe. Nobody likes digital displays over books. as someone mentioned, everything about a book enhances the experience of reading. What may win people over are the new flexible e-ink displays that are much more book-like than previous implementations.

but are things like e-readers going to replace books? highly doubtful