PDA

View Full Version : im confused

brandonxlx
June 9th, 2007, 06:27 PM
ok i installed ubuntu fiesty on my desktop again last night. all was great but then when i restarted after doing updates my computer went haywire. it went in to continuous cycles of rebooting. i dont know why...... can anyone tell me why this may have happened?

Nonno Bassotto
June 9th, 2007, 06:38 PM
You should add more details and post in a suitable (help) section.

brandonxlx
June 9th, 2007, 06:46 PM
ok like what details? and the reason i posted it here was because i wasnt sure where to put it.

starcraft.man
June 9th, 2007, 06:49 PM
ok like what details? and the reason i posted it here was because i wasnt sure where to put it.

Post here please. (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73)

As for what details... tell us what updates you were applying and anything you did before and after they were applied that modified the system. I'm not exactly sure what could cause your computer to just senselessly reboot...

Outrunner
June 9th, 2007, 06:50 PM
At bootup, there should be a GRUB menu(if not it will ask you to press ESC if you want to view it) for a few seconds. Are you booting into the -16 kernel(is it highlighted)? If so, use the down arrow button to select the -15 kernel and boot it(press Enter)

By the way, I did a lot of guessing here bsed on the fact that you mentioned updates. If this is not it, you'll need to provide more details as stated above.

YourSurrogateGod
June 9th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Silly question, how can one edit that list of bootable operating systems that GRUB displays?

brandonxlx
June 9th, 2007, 07:11 PM
... maybe i did something the wrong way
should i just reinstall it? and then report what happens?

Outrunner
June 9th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Silly question, how can one edit that list of bootable operating systems that GRUB displays?

In /boot/grub/menu.lst. Be careful there though, I don't think you want to ruin that file.

YourSurrogateGod
June 9th, 2007, 07:17 PM
In /boot/grub/menu.lst. Be careful there though, I don't think you want to ruin that file.

Thank you.

I usually make backups of previous files though.

brandonxlx
June 9th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Hello? should i just reinstall it and post what happens?

Outrunner
June 9th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Did the above instructions not work for you?