PDA

View Full Version : Linux on a mobile (cell) phone

jgrabham
June 9th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Are there any good linux distros for a mobile (cell) phone (a nokia 6630) I really dont like Nokias software (or should that be firmware)

jgrabham
June 9th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Sorry but bump

weasel fierce
June 10th, 2007, 12:36 AM
I know Motorola manufactures some linux phones, but Im nto familiar with how to install linux in place of the built in software

Bigbluecat
June 10th, 2007, 01:05 AM
There are many phones that use a linux kernel but you cannot think of them as the same thing as a linux distro. They may use the kernel but have a closed UI and application system. That means you cannot just install the software you wish.

Most of these are not true multitasking systems so they run one application at a time.

If you are thinking of a phone that runs software like Ubuntu then I'm not aware of one that is on sale yet. The closest would be the Neo1973 but it is not available yet.

jgrabham
June 10th, 2007, 01:06 AM
OK, not linux, but you know what I mean; different software on my phone!

SoulinEther
June 10th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Akin to how Rockbox is a new operating system/firmware for digital players?

Yeah, that would be nice. *dreams and crosses fingers*

jgrabham
June 10th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Akin to how Rockbox is a new operating system/firmware for digital players?

Yeah, that would be nice. *dreams and crosses fingers*

Yes, but it seems there isn't one :[

Bigbluecat
June 10th, 2007, 08:23 AM
There isn't one. The hardware inside mobile phones is all very proprietary and very different from manufacturer to manufacturer and is often significantly different between models from the same manufacturer.

SoulinEther
June 10th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Here's a thought: Since most cell phones support Java, a virtual machine-run language, you could create an ALTERNATE operating system that runs within a phone...

It would be slower, and I don't know if it could support using the phone's calling features. And I don't think you could use it to override the "receive call" features of phones.... Meh.

super breadfish
June 10th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Here's a thought: Since most cell phones support Java, a virtual machine-run language, you could create an ALTERNATE operating system that runs within a phone...

It would be slower, and I don't know if it could support using the phone's calling features. And I don't think you could use it to override the "receive call" features of phones.... Meh.

You mean something a bit like DROS (http://www.whoredoeuvre.com/dros2.html)? I'm going to give it a whirl later.