PDA

View Full Version : BBC Click - OpenOffice looks just like 'real' software

the_borderer
June 9th, 2007, 04:25 PM
BBC Click have done an article on open source software (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/6733501.stm), although having read it and seen it on BBC News 24 we would have probably been better off without it.

It (OpenOffice) looks just like a real piece of software - real as in a piece of software you buy.

So, free software isn't real software, according to the BBC. Why do I pay for my television license when it funds bad journalism like this?

Update: OK, I have been a bit uncharitable to the BBC here, the article is mostly good. I have just had problems with BBC Click before when their hearts were in the right place but their heads weren't.

jgrabham
June 9th, 2007, 04:30 PM
BBC Click have done an article on open source software (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/6733501.stm), although having read it and seen it on BBC News 24 we would have probably been better off without it.

So, free software isn't real software, according to the BBC. Why do I pay for my television license when it funds bad journalism like this?

In which case Joseph isn't a real TV programme, take that beeb!

reidms
June 9th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I think it is quite the opposite...

"Software that you buy is almost like real open source software!"

amazing lol

needtolookatascreenshot
June 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Oh, come on people.
This was clearly written for absolute laymen and paints a very positive picture about open source.

So stop complaining.
Well done, BBC.

jgrabham
June 9th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I personally hate the BBC anyway - poor programmes, so many trailers, you might as well be watching a channel with real adverts, they force you to pay them even if you dont watch BBC channels, when they have a film on, you cant get up for food or to go to the toilet for fear of missing something - no gaps (adverts)

the_borderer
June 9th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Oh, come on people.
This was clearly written for absolute laymen and paints a very positive picture about open source.

So stop complaining.
Well done, BBC.

What is good about saying that commercial, closed source software=real software, especially in an article aimed at laymen?

The one sentence I quoted gives a negative impression of open source. If that wasn't there then I wouldn't have a problem.

AndyCooll
June 9th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Article is here: Getting the most from open source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/6733501.stm)

It doesn't say anything we didn't already know, however it's always good to receive some positive input from a major broadcaster.

...and of course it mentions Ubuntu!

:cool:

steeleyuk
June 9th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I love the fact that when you click 'Watch Now' you have the choice of watching in...

yep you guessed it...

Windows Media or Real Player :(

needtolookatascreenshot
June 9th, 2007, 04:55 PM
What is good about saying that commercial, closed source software=real software, especially in an article aimed at laymen?

Read it in context.
All they are saying is: Wow, this looks like the real software you can buy from the shelf. And make no mistake about it, for many people only the software you can buy from a shelf is "real software", so again, this is a very positive statement.

MacScotland
June 9th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Not sure it belongs here - maybe one of the mods can move it? Just thought you would all like to see Linux "finally approaching the mainstream".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/6733501.stm

MacScotland
June 9th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Just noticed the weekly video won't be updated until tomorrow - even thought the content text reflect the news item.

mahiyar
June 9th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I'am going to watch click on line from now on.

MacScotland
June 9th, 2007, 05:31 PM
The most recent broadcast video is worth watching (I saw it this morning on TV) but won't be available online until 04:30 (am) on Sunday (UK time).

diskotek
June 9th, 2007, 06:23 PM
i watched it on bbc world yesterday. mark shuttleworth was the guest of the program called "click"..it was nice & short. well, i2m not so good with understanding british accent.

zodmaner
June 9th, 2007, 06:23 PM

Agreed. I think it is a good introduction for people who never heard of open source before and/or people who have wrong impression about it. Having a major press like BBC cover the story can only be a good thing.

...and the fact that it gets show all over the world via BBC world service doesn't hurt either.

So, free software isn't real software

Trust me, a lot of people have a far worse opinion about open source then this. Most people that I know won't even accept that open source is equals to the commercial software. To them the idea that open source is a viable alternative to commercial software, let alone a better one, is absurd.

mech7
June 9th, 2007, 06:37 PM
This thread is kinda dumb.. it's a pretty positive article :

Linux is finally looking like a very serious alterative to Windows and OS X.

FuturePilot
June 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM
It looks just like a real piece of software - real as in a piece of software you buy.
So I guess "real software" is now defined by price:rolleyes:

Any novice installing the latest version of Ubuntu - a Linux distro developed for PCs - may find it disturbing as its highly technical computer workings are clearly visible.
I'm actually more disturbed when all that stuff is hidden.

bapoumba
June 9th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Merged two threads in here.

MacScotland
June 9th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I think this news is VERY good for Ubuntu & Linux & Open Source in general. OK it is a poor piece for techies - but it is the FIRST time I have seen such a message go out to the general UK public, and is what has been missing for a long time. It marks a watershed IMHO and should generate a massive amount of folks in the UK giving it a first try.

I suggest the mods retitle this thread to be more positive.

bapoumba
June 9th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Any suggestion ?
To the OP: any suggestion for another title ?

mips
June 9th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I personally hate the BBC anyway - poor programmes, so many trailers, you might as well be watching a channel with real adverts

C'mon, it's miles ahead of American tv in terms of quality & content. You should be gratefull.

I say this as someone that gets more US stuff than GB stuff.

MacScotland
June 9th, 2007, 07:32 PM
BTW - I'd also be interested in how the Unbuntu downloads & server hits are affected by this. Will anyone be able to track this?

AndyCooll
June 9th, 2007, 07:38 PM

Any suggestion ?
To the OP: any suggestion for another title ?

I hadn't seen this thread when I originally posted mine (which has been merged with this one, which is fair enough). However I deliberately kept it neutral and called it "BBC "Click" programme highlights open-source" because the programme isn't just about oOo as this thread title suggests. It's about open-source of which oOo is only one of the aspects discussed. Indeed the actual title of the BBC website page is "Getting the most from open source"

:cool:

smoker
June 9th, 2007, 08:15 PM
i think the programme was more positive than negative, and some viewers may go on to look for more info if it has raised their interest, so, all in all, i think, a good thing:-)

sethmahoney
June 9th, 2007, 08:22 PM
This thread is kinda dumb.. it's a pretty positive article :

Agreed. Why is it still active? Does anyone really think that they were dissing free software?