PDA

View Full Version : Linux on a PSP?

poofyhairguy
July 6th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Its now possible:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/05/technology/personaltech/sony_psp.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

WildTangent
July 6th, 2005, 07:16 PM
well..not really. all this allows you to do is run certain "homebrew" apps on the PSP. for example, my friend has doom on his :) however he accidently updated his firmware, so hes trading his barely used PSP with his friends unpatched PSP

-Wild

sonny
July 6th, 2005, 07:24 PM
I don't understand those actions... why would they close the software? I see much more bussines in making a console that plays ALL kind of games than doing one that doesn't, imagine a console for playing xbox, ps, dream, cube, etc without hacking it? my guess is that it would rock the market of videogames.

You might say that they get the money from the games sold, but if you have bad games no-one would buy it, and if your games is good everyone would buy it, it doesn't matter that your game can be played only in one kind of console.

Mr. Electric Wizard
July 6th, 2005, 07:33 PM
With licensing issues, that ain't never gonna happen...
Would be really cool though!

Mr. Electric Wizard
I'm running Damn Small Linux on my Xbox.

brim4brim
I don't understand those actions... why would they close the software? I see much more bussines in making a console that plays ALL kind of games than doing one that doesn't, imagine a console for playing xbox, ps, dream, cube, etc without hacking it? my guess is that it would rock the market of videogames.

You might say that they get the money from the games sold, but if you have bad games no-one would buy it, and if your games is good everyone would buy it, it doesn't matter that your game can be played only in one kind of console.

But they lose money on every PSP sold and regain from charges on the games. They get loyalties per game sold so it's in their interest to stop you getting free games. At least from my understanding of the subject.

poofyhairguy
July 6th, 2005, 07:41 PM
But they lose money on every PSP sold and regain from charges on the games. They get loyalties per game sold so it's in their interest to stop you getting free games. At least from my understanding of the subject.

Correct:

http://www.businessweek.com/adsections/2003/ptc/ptc_11.htm

sonny
July 6th, 2005, 07:51 PM
As I see it, the interest is stopping piracy, but we have to pay the extra cost of it. The game software company doesn't care if the sell is done by sony or by MS, as long as you BUY the game. The matter is that game companies don't like to spend extra money on distribution of their product, so they give that to sony or MS wich they can do easly due to all their subsidiaries all over the world, and that's when the problems arise, and complicates even more.

minimidgy
July 6th, 2005, 08:24 PM
I want to see linux on dreamcast and Nintendo DS. I guess they could try making something where the touch screen is used like a key board, but even using just one screen would be cool. I don't have a PSP, and I really don't want to buy one just for hacks. Only one game on the PSP interests me.

benplaut
July 6th, 2005, 10:24 PM
I want to see linux on dreamcast and Nintendo DS. I guess they could try making something where the touch screen is used like a key board, but even using just one screen would be cool. I don't have a PSP, and I really don't want to buy one just for hacks. Only one game on the PSP interests me.

/. had a story a few days ago about linux on DS

apparently, it boots :roll:

minimidgy
July 7th, 2005, 01:05 AM
/. had a story a few days ago about linux on DS

apparently, it boots :roll:
http://www.dslinux.org/

I probably sounded different than what I meant to in my previous post. I meant fullspeed linux on DS. I was actually thinking about using passme and supercard for some emulation and such. Except I would probably have to upgrade my firmware for the DS, and I'm not too keen on that whole idea.

NeoSNightmarE
July 7th, 2005, 02:35 AM
I have Mandrake on my XBOX right now just because I was messing with it. I think it's mandrake. I haven't touched it in a couple of weeks because of school. However, what would be good about having it on the PSP or DS would be the possibility for old school gaming on there with games such as Donkey Kong or Super Mario or Sonic. Sound good to anyone else?

bored2k
July 7th, 2005, 03:02 AM
I have Mandrake on my XBOX right now just because I was messing with it. I think it's mandrake. I haven't touched it in a couple of weeks because of school. However, what would be good about having it on the PSP or DS would be the possibility for old school gaming on there with games such as Donkey Kong or Super Mario or Sonic. Sound good to anyone else?
Accurate SNES emulation for a portable gaming console would rock. You'd fit a gazillion roms on a single USB/UMD :-P. I'm not really sure why I'd want a DS to have Linux but hey, more power to the people ;).