PDA

View Full Version : Is Beryl Addictive?

Mazza558
June 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Gah... I really need to get some work done but I keep wobbling windows around and using the water effect everythere :(

Anyone else have the same problem? :p

DeadSuperHero
June 9th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Yeah. I could entertain myself for hours with wobbling windows, and the 3D desktop alone.

Adamant1988
June 9th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I don't really think it's addictive, per say, but it certainly makes my computing experience easier and more 'real'. You never realize how 'wobbly windows' and such effect the way you deal with them until you go without. For now, I'm using Kwin so, no compositing, but I'll be OK without.

deadowl
June 9th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I wish magnetic windows weren't so bugged!!! I might actually use it then.

...Hey, at least you can horizontally resize shaded windows. Neither metacity nor kwin do that.

CautionaryX
June 9th, 2007, 04:01 PM
It's addictive. I use it all the time when I'm not playing games... which is just about all the time lol.

Mazza558
June 9th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Another problem I have is not wanting to do any work because it will hide my desktop :D

Darth Trix
June 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Yeah, is seriously addictive.

steeleyuk
June 9th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I found it pretty entertaining when I first installed it, but very rarely use Compiz anymore. Turn it on when I can be bothered.

init1
June 9th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Gah... I really need to get some work done but I keep wobbling windows around and using the water effect everythere :(

No, I have never even used Beryl before

FuturePilot
June 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM
It is addictive.:p
It took me forever to get past that denial stage when I finally realized that it would never work on my laptop. Everything just looked so flat without Beryl.
I'm over it now though.:lolflag:

joriad
June 9th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Its only addictive at first, eventually the feeling will go away. I think once the bugs are straightened out and they have a beryl windows manager up and running, my addiction will come back with a vengeance. But for the time being I am not using it at all.

I am NOT in denial.
I am NOT in denial.
I am NOT in denial.
I am NOT in denial.
I am NOT in denial.
I am NOT in denial.
I am NOT in denial.

starcraft.man
June 9th, 2007, 06:56 PM
*walks into the Beryl addiction meeting*

Hi. My name is starcraft.man and I have an addiction. *is playing with Beryl on labtop while saying that*

:p

Honestly though, I really do miss Beryl I don't have it. Sometimes I move my mouse to the top right of an XP desktop and expect the windows to scale for me to pick em :D.

mips
June 9th, 2007, 07:30 PM
No it's shite.

orange2k
June 9th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I stopped using Beryl, now I`m on Compiz...

hyperair
June 9th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I first began before Compiz-Quinn came about, and until now using Beryl. When I first began, it was really distracting, yeah. But it got old after a while. I turned off the more complex animations, and settled for features that were useful (like the cube, and the blur) and some basic animations (zoom and magic lamp). Honestly though, from time to time I find myself absent mindedly spinning my desktop cube endlessly with the mouse scroll wheel.

GrueTamer
June 9th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Beryl is definitely cool, and it really shows off what you can do with free software, but addicting? Not for me.

starcraft.man
June 9th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I stopped using Beryl, now I`m on Compiz...

Same thing, they are merged now. So soon we shall all be Coral addicts :) (I think thats the name thats gonna win, its 70 in front last check.

tehkain
June 9th, 2007, 09:04 PM
I am all about productivity so I have most of beryl disabled. I have an awesome setup tho using all the useful plugins. I just am not a wobbly window/water kinda guy. I love my expose and desktop wall plugins. Cube is a waist of time!

FuturePilot
June 9th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Same thing, they are merged now. So soon we shall all be Coral addicts :) (I think thats the name thats gonna win, its 70 in front last check.

Same with me. I started with Beryl, but then when Feisty came out I started using Compiz. I just like the way it integrates better with Gnome.

prizrak
June 10th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Yes. The Alt-Tab preview is probably one of the most useful things on the planet.

joe.turion64x2
June 10th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Beryl is really nice (once you can use it). I had more trouble setting it up in my laptop (ATI) than my desktop (NVIDIA).

I really like it and prefer a Linux distro with Beryl rather than another one without it, however I can live without it.

The thing I enjoy the most from Beryl is the envy face my friends make when they see it (they wish Windows could do it, jajaja).

Joe.

forrestcupp
June 10th, 2007, 03:19 AM
I am all about productivity so I have most of beryl disabled. I have an awesome setup tho using all the useful plugins. I just am not a wobbly window/water kinda guy. I love my expose and desktop wall plugins. Cube is a waist of time!

Some of Beryl is productive. I use transparent windows all the time, especially when I am updating my GNU cash with my bank website. I also use the zoom plugin.

rcatman
June 10th, 2007, 08:48 AM
For the longest time i would sit and minimize and then restore windows. It's taken hours upon hours out of my life. But now, whenever I have a project involving many windows I turn on beryl. Ive stopped using the cube. For a while I had the background (when moving and when not moving) as completely transparent with the sticky windows stuck to the screen (app bar doesn't move with cube). I'd have a small window open and could see the backside of all the other windows.

Beryl is awesome.
http://web.pdx.edu/~rcatlin/Screenshot3.png

Rui Pais
June 10th, 2007, 10:47 AM
I try it (beryl) for 2 or 3 days, then i came back - and fast - to my usual DE.

No addiction. Find it most of those stuff very annoying.

Top of irritations:
- rotating cubes when i changed virtual desktop (have to turn that off or i started to kill people). It special infuriates me when mouse go to the side of screen while i'm typing and screen rotates... :roll:

- flaccid windows when i move them with mouse. Not only waste resources, that make things look slow (even moving windows offers inertia). Windows shaking/waving (the "belly dance" effect?) to the task bar is weird too.
(/me wonders if the guys who invented such effects wouldn't benefit with a shrink consult?)

- Transparent windows (starting to feel an urge to visit my ophthalmologist...)

joe.turion64x2
June 10th, 2007, 05:30 PM
For the longest time i would sit and minimize and then restore windows. It's taken hours upon hours out of my life. But now, whenever I have a project involving many windows I turn on beryl. Ive stopped using the cube. For a while I had the background (when moving and when not moving) as completely transparent with the sticky windows stuck to the screen (app bar doesn't move with cube). I'd have a small window open and could see the backside of all the other windows.

Beryl is awesome.
http://web.pdx.edu/~rcatlin/Screenshot3.png
Where is the option to set a background in Beryl? I have never changed it because I don't know where.

joriad
June 10th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Where is the option to set a background in Beryl? I have never changed it because I don't know where.

Open Beryl Settings Manager --> Desktop --> Desktop cube --> Skydome. Check the skydome box. At that time you will have the default skydome gradient image activated. You can then browse for your own image to place in the skydome image section (this image must be equal to, or a multiple of, your screen resolution otherwise it will not work). Thats all there is to it. You can also have the skydome image move as you rotate the cube by checking the animate skydome box.

kamaboko
June 10th, 2007, 07:33 PM
No, it's not addictive. I looked at its whiz facter...thought, "hmmm....interesting", and then moved on.

pestilence
June 10th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I used it for a few days, surely is nice and eye catchy but then again after monitoring my process memory and cpu utilization I decided it was time to move back to the still eye catchy desktop enviroment of my Kubuntu.
I still have it installed, but I nearly never load beryl...

joe.turion64x2
June 10th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Open Beryl Settings Manager --> Desktop --> Desktop cube --> Skydome. Check the skydome box. At that time you will have the default skydome gradient image activated. You can then browse for your own image to place in the skydome image section (this image must be equal to, or a multiple of, your screen resolution otherwise it will not work). Thats all there is to it. You can also have the skydome image move as you rotate the cube by checking the animate skydome box.
The problem with me is that I did not select the proper pictures (as you mentioned), because I have already used the option.

Thanks.
Joe.

nine01a
June 11th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Yes it is addicted [imo] but with all "oooooos" and "aahhhhhs" aside, it's still a very productive environment so far. I've never experienced any crashes or problems other than maybe a little bit of heat since I only have an ATi x200m (that still runs at 70 fps on a workspace and about 30-40 fps while cubing) and weak Sempron cpu. I absolutely love it. I couldn't get it set up with Debian 2 or so years ago and in the mean time, I've been trying to get working on Gentoo, which never happened. With Ubuntu, I got it in about 10 minutes? I can finally embrace my addiction!

smoker
June 12th, 2007, 12:05 AM

hmm, can't imagine living without beryl now, using pc's at work seems an 'extra chore' cause there's no beryl to play with:D

lyceum
June 12th, 2007, 11:57 PM
I think I work better with it on. The rain is great t work with. It makes me smile while I am working :D

rcatman
June 15th, 2007, 12:45 AM
I don't have ubuntu/beryl in front of me, i'm at work but I believe you goto the Desktop Tab and in Window Options or one of them having to do with wallpaper there is an Opacity/Transparency tab (sorry I forgot the names).

There's two sliders, one for the opacity of the desktop while moving and the other is for the setting the opacity of the desktop while it is stationary. Set the opacity of the desktop while NOT moving to 0. You will see the other windows on the other sides of the cube.

Beryl has so many options and settings to play around with, I'm still finding new ones. I just found out recently that you can set the different effects (burn, dream, magic genie 1 & 2, etc) to windows that are created, closed, minimized, maximized, etc. I love the zoom out option for created and closed windows. When I traverse through the gnome menu the windows fade in and zoom in, and fade out/zoom out when i take my mouse off of them. The animation is set to .250 seconds so it goes quick and looks great.

Also I found a website that has some settings to change that REALLY speeds up performance. Check out this website http://liquidweather.net/howto/index.php?id=106

It makes everything so much faster.

ThinkBuntu
June 15th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Nope. Just gets in my way when I have stuff to do...the most 3D desktop I ever have is Compiz with window shadows.

PhatStreet
June 15th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Nope. Just gets in my way when I have stuff to do...
Pretty much sums it up for me. Even on programs like Yakuake, I'll disable the sliding animation. I'll skin my desktop to make it more visually appealing, but the animations and flash just get in the way, IMO.

AusIV4
June 15th, 2007, 02:27 AM
I've grown really fond of Beryl. My only can't-live-without part is the put plugin (which is disabled by default). I find it seriously increases my productivity because I can organize my windows without moving my hand to my mouse.

I also do some software development, and test my code in virtual machines. Since I can't copy from the client to the host in VMWare server, I occasionally use transparency to let me read text from a virtual machine while typing it in a window on top.

I keep the water effects turned off, but I do use window animations for most effects. I'm also fond of wobbly windows - it feels like something is missing when I have to use another computer.