PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a computer (continued)

guitarmaniac
June 9th, 2007, 12:57 PM
This is a continuation from my previous thread here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=434503

My computer has taking a turn for the worst I need a new one (not detecting PCI or AGP slots amongst other things) so I want to build a new one.

The more I look into this the more I realise I don't know anything about hardware.

I want this computer to last me so I need parts that aren't going to die on me and work together nicely.

So far I have found on eBay a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU and a MSI K9N4 Ultra-F mobo

all I need help with are the RAM and power supply.

For the RAM (I'm going off the tomshardware guide mentioned in the previous thread) I want something like this:

Wintec AMPO PC2-6400
1024 MB, CAS 5-5-5-16

I cant find it online anywhere in Aus so its probably not available here!

I have no idea what PC2-6400 or CAS 5-5-5-16 even means!

For the PSU the guide recommends a Fortron Source AX450-PN
I'm fairly sure the USA has different power standards than Australia so its probably not available here either.

However I want something from a brand name company with over 450W as a bad PSU can wreck a whole system and I don't want to risk that.

mips
June 9th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Bottom line, "What is your budget ?"

aidanr
June 9th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Fortron Source make solid power supplies (although more for the budget concious) I've bought about 20-25 of them and not one has failed me yet

Personally though for my next build, I'll be getting a Seasonic by recommendation

I haven't heard anything about Wintec ram, I usually stick to Corsair or OCZ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_Latency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM#Specification_standards
6400 and cl5 should be just fine

guitarmaniac
June 10th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Bottom line, "What is your budget ?"

I'd like to say as cheap as possible. But obviously I want parts that aren't going to crap out on me so any suggestions are good.
ATM I only want 1x 1GB stick so that I can upgrade later if I feel the need.

For the PSU I'll probably shell out a little more as I don't want run the risk of a cheap PSU ruining the rest of my system.

guitarmaniac
June 10th, 2007, 12:39 PM
OK heres a recap of what I'm getting along with the best prices I can find online here in Australia:

Processor: AMD Athlon X2 3800+ $67
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-MX $75
RAM: 2x 1GB sticks of Kingston 667 $90
Graphics card: Asus 7900GS $209
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 $92
PSU: 430W Coolermaster Extreme $78

that comes to a grand total of $611 AU

not too bad, but I still think I can do better (on the prices at least) what do you think.

jgrabham
June 10th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Expensive case

guitarmaniac
June 10th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I know, I just can't seem to find a good case anywhere! And it doesnt help to be hit with about $30 in shipping for the damn thing.

guitarmaniac
June 10th, 2007, 12:53 PM
OT I think my bean counter has frozen, I swear I've been on 122 beans all week :P

jgrabham
June 10th, 2007, 12:57 PM
OT I think my bean counter has frozen, I swear I've been on 122 beans all week :P

You dont get beans in the Cafe

Try buying a case in a shop near you - then no postage! (and you get to see it)

guitarmaniac
June 10th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Don't get beans in the Cafe? I didn't know that :P

I'd like to buy my case (and the majority of this stuff) in a shop, but I live a few hundred km from the nearest capital city so everything is a LOT more expensive here than in the CDB of say Sydney.

jgrabham
June 10th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Don't get beans in the Cafe? I didn't know that :P

I'd like to buy my case (and the majority of this stuff) in a shop, but I live a few hundred km from the nearest capital city so everything is a LOT more expensive here than in the CDB of say Sydney.

OK