PDA

View Full Version : Am I Allowed to Sell CDs?

APMT19
June 9th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Am I allowed to sell the UBUNTU, EDUBUNTU, or thew KUBUNTU cds?

5-HT
June 9th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Yes, so long as you make the source code freely available. http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

NeoLithium
June 9th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Yep, a lot of pepole sell the CD's to help cut the cost of their own discs when they burn them, etc.

x1a4
June 9th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Am I allowed to sell the UBUNTU, EDUBUNTU, or thew KUBUNTU cds?

Remember XUBUNTU as well.

az
June 9th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Depending on exactly what you want to do, I suggest you read the Trademark policy on the ubuntu.com website. You can sell Ubuntu CDs unaltered, but you can not misrepresent it, for example claim that it is something you wrote.

If you want to fork it (remaster the cd, in other words, customize it), you can do that so long as you comply with the GPL (and provide the source code as already stated) as well as respect the Ubuntu trademark - in the case of a remix, you would need to change the name and the branding everywhere.

You are entitiled to use the Ubutnu repos to provide the source code. You can even use their repos if you remaster some parts of the OS, of course, you will have to provide the source code for your additions/changes, but for whatever is identical in Ubuntu, you can use their repos.

If you just want to sell a few dozen CDs, and have no intention of changing/forking the software, don't worry about the trademark. That does not apply to you.