PDA

View Full Version : Who is the next sell out? Ubuntu ???

dontgetshocked
June 8th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I am so unsure of the future of Linux. Is GPL3 our saviour or NOT? Is Ubuntu next in line or can we count on them to remain faithful? Is it time for us to design our own distro? I hope UBUNTU reigns as king of the distro's for a long time coming. Hey, ,just wondering!!!

Sure would be nice to get an official confirmation....

Dragonbite
June 8th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I think I've heard this before:
The Sky Is Falling! The Sky Is Falling!

starcraft.man
June 8th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't worry about it... in fact it seems MS is more the one that seems worried. If you hadn't noticed, almost everyone of their deals are cross-licensing...

DeadSuperHero
June 8th, 2007, 08:32 PM
LOL.
Actually, if you really think it's a problem, why not write your own distro? There's various tools (reconstructor is pretty nice) to make your own distro. The first releases would be modified versions of Ubuntu, but in time, you'd be able to fork it significantly.

justin whitaker
June 8th, 2007, 08:38 PM
LOL.
Actually, if you really think it's a problem, why not write your own distro? There's various tools (reconstructor is pretty nice) to make your own distro. The first releases would be modified versions of Ubuntu, but in time, you'd be able to fork it significantly.

Excellent advice. There is also gNEWSENSE, which is based off Ubuntu, is completely FOSS, and probably needs a helping hand or two.

Interesting excerpts from an interview with Shuttleworth regarding the Microsoft deals:

http://mybroadband.co.za/nephp/?m=show&id=6672

I love how he likens Microsoft-Novell and Microsoft-Xandros as racketeering, which is true...but then he states that he would love to work with them, but only on really open terms. In other words, there is no-way that Ubuntu-Microsoft is going to happen any time soon.

juxtaposed
June 8th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I am very certain ubuntu wouldn't do it, and perfectly certain debian wouldn't.

Next though? I don't know, one of the commercial type ones. I don't know much about mandriva, but it sounds possible...

dontgetshocked
June 8th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I did email the folks at Ubuntu and await their reply. I am an optimist but even so I wonder when and how any of us can do something about this FUD. I believe in affirmative action and not just complacency. Since I am neither rich nor famous, unsure of what and how! How can people be so naive so as to sign on with the devil? Neither a fan of the legal system, but believe in Justice.

In closing I thank God and of course Microsoft for the privilege to be able to write this...
The air I breathe, etc....