PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions needed to buy PS3 & monitor to run ubuntu

jeyaganesh
June 8th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Hallo friends,
I have planned to buy a PS3 and LCD or HD monitor to install ubuntu on it. I have few questions before buying those. I know lot of experienced people are here to clarify my doubts as usual in our forum.

My questions are;
1.Does Ubuntu work good in PS3, including stability and speed?
2.Can I buy wireless keyboard or usual one?
3.Can I use external hard drive to increase my ubuntu storage?
4.I dont know about 'WINE'. Can I install any windows based software like
nokia cell phone software in ubuntu using WINE?
5.Is it worth to invest money for PS3 and ubuntu combination?

My questions may be silly, but I have to be careful before spending few hundred bucks. Please give me
good suggestions to enjoy with ubuntu.

Thanks in advance
Jay:popcorn::guitar:

mips
June 8th, 2007, 07:49 PM

I personally would not go down that road. I'll get PS3 for games but not as a dedicated computing platform.

starcraft.man
June 8th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I personally would not go down that road. I'll get PS3 for games but not as a dedicated computing platform.

Ditto. Unless you wanna game (MGS and heavenly sword, yay :D) then I don't see why ya don't just get a cheap Dell/other PC. Buying a PS3 for Ubuntu just doesn't make sense to me. Any p4 or later with a decent card and more than 256 ram can run Ubuntu fine. I'd go buy a regular pc.

ditsch
June 8th, 2007, 08:53 PM
My questions are;
1.Does Ubuntu work good in PS3, including stability and speed?
Yes it does. The speed is what you expect from a PC with 256 MB RAM.

2.Can I buy wireless keyboard or usual one?
I run a Logitech Mediaboard which is a wireless one and it is working fine. A friend of mine got the DiNovo Edge on the PS3 but he only runs it with XMB, though.

3.Can I use external hard drive to increase my ubuntu storage?
Never tried.

4.I dont know about 'WINE'. Can I install any windows based software like
nokia cell phone software in ubuntu using WINE?
No, as the PS3 is a PowerPC. Wine does only work with i386 processors.

That depends on what you want to do with it. The PS3 is definitely not a PC replacement. To browse from time to time or using as a multimedia center/gaming console it is definitely worth it.

jeyaganesh
June 9th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Hallo Friends,
Thank you very much for your suggestions. From your valuable suggestions, I came to know that it is better to buy a computer to run Ubuntu rather than in PS3. I spend lot of time with computer, so I feel now I can go for a cheaper Dell computer with bigger monitor that I can share with PS3 for gaming.

Again thank you very much for your suggestions.
Jay:D