PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's Anti-Linux Marketing Campaign...

Mazza558
June 8th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Was just reading this article (posted in the testimonials), and it seems that MS are now showing anti-linux videoads on some websites. It doesn't even make sense!

Gah!

(Turn off your adblock or similar, and refresh until you see a video on the right)

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/382946.htm

If you can't view the videoad for some reason, this is what happens:

A dog picks up a newspaper and carries it around the house, reaching its owner. The owner picks up the newspaper and it spins onto the screen saying "Windows Server takes checkered flag over Linux", and then zooms in on the title of the paper, which says "The Highly Reliable Times". The problem here is that millions of people will see this ad, as opposed to seeing MS's own page comparing windows to linux.

starcraft.man
June 8th, 2007, 07:31 PM
ROFL!

That has got to be the dumbest ad I have ever seen.

I think the bottom line is anyone who believes an ad with a fake news paper called "The Highly Reliable Times" deserves everything they get... just like if you trust a stranger who says "trust me, I got your back"...

The only thing that is disconcerting is that site with linux in its name (I don't know it well) is taking ad money from Microsoft... or however. They definitely shouldn't have MS FUD on their pages.

proalan
i wouldn't worry about m$ FUD, their adverts give their own products a worse image like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGO2hVA3P58&embed=1

S-99
The highly reliable times. Even for a joke anti-linux ad i could come up with something better. The highly stable eternity would be a better title for that stupid paper:D Of course i've seen this ad before a while ago. I've even seen tv ad's for microsoft server that are similar, then again for debunking linux, they do a ****** job, or they just don't really care, as all you see of linux in the ads is nothing but the word linux for like half a second in nothing that's remotely substantial to consider true. Just a company trying to get ahead. Sort of like amd claiming they have the fastest processors in the world...wow, intel claims that too:p

The one thing i like about microsofts ads is that they aren't really *******-ish as compared with all mac commercials. Hell microsoft doesn't really need ads or use them. The only big advertisement i've ever seen was the windows xp commercial taking place in the previews before the movie i rented played. That was like the only commercial i've seen from microsoft ever:o

Dragonbite
It's been out there for a while.. like the newspaper "stop the presses" for some article about I think the London stock exchange picking Windows Server 2003 for reliability.

S-99
June 8th, 2007, 07:41 PM
i wouldn't worry about m$ FUD, their adverts give their own products a worse image like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGO2hVA3P58&embed=1

Oh ***t that's bad:frown:

nonewmsgs
June 8th, 2007, 07:41 PM
for some reason i dont think that this ad will change anyone's opinion despite it being from the incredible reliable highly reliable times. i laughed like it was some kind of youtube ad parody.

im a mac and im a pc running linux.
mac in aside: man that other guy looks like some kind of cheap floozy.
linux based pc: woohoo im not cheap im freeeeeeeeeeee and easy. anyone want some free beer?