PDA

View Full Version : I want to stop the cycle. Help me.

weverjames
June 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I am tired of windows. I always looked for an alternative. I even tried mac os panter. However both of them make your computer totally useless after 2-3 years at the most. I need to buy a pc but I don't want to continue this cycle of wasting my money. I have read about diffferent distributions. There are many goods, however I think I will buy a dell charged with ubuntu.
My concern is about compatibility issues.
1. I want to use a wide lcd with a resolution of 1680 x 1050. Does ubuntu support this resolution?
2. I have an epson cx7000F and a logitech ultravision. Would they work in the linux world? Does ubuntu include openprinting?
3. Should I buy support from canonical? I don't even see a link for online assistant from them.
4 Can I install other distributions in these new dells (mandriva, xandros, pclinuxos)?
5. Can I install windows xp if it does not work?
6. IS oppenoffice fully compatible with powerpoint ?
Thanks in advance.

BarfBag
June 8th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I am tired of windows. I always looked for an alternative. I even tried mac os panter. However both of them make your computer totally useless after 2-3 years at the most. I need to buy a pc but I don't want to continue this cycle of wasting my money. I have read about diffferent distributions. There are many goods, however I think I will buy a dell charged with ubuntu.
My concern is about compatibility issues.
1. I want to use a wide lcd with a resolution of 1680 x 1050. Does ubuntu support this resolution?
2. I have an epson cx7000F and a logitech ultravision. Would they work in the linux world? Does ubuntu include openprinting?
3. Should I buy support from canonical? I don't even see a link for online assistant from them.
4 Can I install other distributions in these new dells (mandriva, xandros, pclinuxos)?
5. Can I install windows xp if it does not work?
6. IS oppenoffice fully compatible with powerpoint ?
Thanks in advance.

If the PC you buy has an nVidia graphics card, you'll probably be able to achieve that resolution after loading the proprietary driver. A dpkg-reconfigure might be in order as well, but one thing at a time.

Ubuntu does include Open Printing, or CUPS. Follow the following link to see if your printer is compatible. As far as the Logitech - I don't know. What is it? A mouse?

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/DatabaseIntro

No. You can get the same quality support here for free. That's pretty much for businesses.

Of course.

Yes.

Yes.

Here's a suggestion. Look into System 76 as well. They make Ubuntu PC's exclusively.

weverjames
June 8th, 2007, 06:33 PM
thanks for the fast answer. It is impressive. Faster than any support dell or Hp offer, and for free.
My respect to Linux community.