PDA

View Full Version : No mail server for my forum - what to do next?

Zdravko
June 8th, 2007, 02:09 PM
The host of my forum decided to shut down the mail server. Now my users don't receive activation letters and subscribing to a thread no longer sends instant email message.
What can I do to change that?
The forum is phpbb 2.0.2x

Zdravko
June 8th, 2007, 06:13 PM
bump!

Frosty Cold Drink
June 8th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Get a new web host.

You can also point phpBB to an external SMTP server.

Zdravko
June 9th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Really? Why then? There is an option for it? But it seems not to work. I tried setting the gmail smtp. It didn't work. Help me, please!

Frosty Cold Drink
June 9th, 2007, 04:21 PM
You can pick an arbitrary SMTP server. You need to use one you are allowed to relay though. Most likley, that means you'll have to use one that will let you log in with a user name and password.

Like I said at first, get a new web host.

Zdravko
June 9th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Tell me an arbitrary SMTP server.

I cannot get a new web host, because I don't have the money to afford it.

Frosty Cold Drink
June 9th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Tell me an arbitrary SMTP server.

I don't respond well to demands
You can't just pick one, as most have some sort of access control
YOU need to find one YOU are permitted to use, with authentication set up in a way which allows you do use it with phpBB

I cannot get a new web host, because I don't have the money to afford it.
Then you are likley SOL.

Zdravko
June 9th, 2007, 06:26 PM
What is SOL?
I don't understand why nobody wants to help me. Just give me some instruction! I need help! That's all! :)

Frosty Cold Drink
June 9th, 2007, 07:01 PM
What is SOL?
SOL = **** Out of Luck

I don't understand why nobody wants to help me. Just give me some instruction! I need help! That's all! :)
No offense, but I don't think anyone wants to help you for one of two reasons. Either you are not paying attention to what I am saying, or you lack the brainpower to understand it. In either case, jumping in on this thread would be a waste of time.

No one can reliably help you with this but you. That's just the way it is.

pmasiar
June 9th, 2007, 08:06 PM

Your problem is, you want free service, and cannot find anyone providing it for free. What kind of instructions you need to understand that?

Either live with free forum without emails (which is pretty good deal if you ask me), or try to get smtp service. Likely noone will provide it for free - if anyone did (like your former provider), it will be used by spammers.

You can get free email list in google groups and send some anouncements, even if it not individual notifications you had before.

Zdravko
June 10th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Oh God! You say that a smtp server is a paid service? Is that what you said? Then, why do you say that after so much time? And then you call me stupid? This is impolite. I have to report this topic.

pmasiar
June 10th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I did not called you stupid, but if you said it, it would be impolite to disagree :-)

I never needed free smtp, I am not aware of any, and as I said free smtp could be used by spammers so it might not exist. It does not mean you cannot arrange for that - it is *your* responsibility to understand and solve your problems.

Volunteers respond to your questions on their own time - next time hire some consultant and *then* you can demand level of service. Report all you want - you are just wasting mods time.

BTW, next time I will be less willing to respond to any request for help from you, because of your behavior.

Have fun!

Edit: next time, if you want to respond to a specific person, learn to quote, to avoid misunderstanding.

Zdravko
June 10th, 2007, 05:09 PM
pmasiar (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=130379), I wasn't interested in you. The Frosty Cold Drink (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=254821) was the target. I bet he recieved a reasonable punishment. I don't understand why did you get offended. Maybe because you feel guilty for something.
But now you, dear pmasiar (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=130379), say:

I did not called you stupid, but if you said it, it would be impolite to disagree :smile:
I have to report that. Sorry man.

P.S. My host is thinking of enabling the mail server once again. But he wants to do this only to my user. Currently, he disabled the port 25, so that no mail could be sent at all. I just hope that my host finds a good solution soon.

PriceChild
June 10th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Lets not allow this silly incident to spiral out of control... back on topic please :)