PDA

View Full Version : Never Walk Alone !

Rhyn W
June 8th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I believe that if we stand together with each other and for each other. The force of our combined voices will be heard.

I am new to Linux, when I asked in the past I was told Linux was complicated and not easy to use. The people I was asking were very cleaver programmers and the like.

Now I have finally been able to immigrate to Linux thanks to Ubuntu. I'll be getting Feisty Tomorrow.

The thing I have found is that large corporations don't support Linux enough. SonyEricsson for Example don't produce drivers for my phone, while I appreciate the Geniuses who can code in Linux and make everything I have work on My Pc I don't want it to be their problem. I can see that we (Linux users) by demand will outstrip their resources to develop software to help me and my Pc and all my products get along.

However I feel that if we unite and apply pressure onto the bigger organisations to support our user base (product for product) they will eventually factor us in to all future developments.

Basically I want to be a Linux Thorn in their side until they add us to the list.

What is the Linux User Bases' Critical Mass? Does anyone know is that figure being given out to companies so that they could see the benefits of developing Linux software for their products?

If 10% of that base share a common need will the other 90% get behind them and volley for support.
I believe we should and could.

I am willing to commit to apply pressure on behalf of others who share in my dilemma of not getting enough support from Manufacturers.

Stand together lets get a Forum for Intervention, going and let’s get taken seriously.

Microsoft is taking the threat seriously, but Big brands haven't yet seen the light when 1 000 000 emails land on a companies desk all asking for one thing Linux drivers for a product then I believe Organisations will get things together on their side, and start recognizing the value of supporting the brand.

Every Linux user should be marketing why they use the product and telling others to use it too.

More than food for though.

Rhyn W

the.dark.lord
June 8th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Well said, and it's a good idea too.

DoctorMO
June 8th, 2007, 01:05 PM
It's not number of users, it's voice. MacOSX for a long time has had similar market share to Linux and yet gets far more support. simply because it's seen. it's out there and has apple pushing hardware makers for support.

Then again I reeally believe most company produced drivers are very badly written and most need to be rewritten in order to meet the standards of the kernel or other linux components. sometimes this puts companies off but at least they could offer the specifications for their hardware no?

Spr0k3t
June 8th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Welcome to the land of Linux and I'm glad you're getting around with it quite well. The estimated install base is somewhere around 34 million... according to Novell. The best way to get something done is to make your decisions with the greenbacks in your wallet. Don't just do the research though, ask the company directly "which of your products support linux" and see what falls from the tree. If they have nothing, ask when they will offer such drivers or ask if they know of any third parties developing drivers they plan to offer assistance with.

I believe a better option might be to form some sort of alliance with hardware manufacturers to offer a professional driver hatchery so to speak. Manufacturers refuse to publish Linux drivers due to fear... for fear of hacking, fear of losses, or fear of escalated and unresolvable support issues, who know what the real fear is.

Rhyn W
June 8th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Ubuntu Count me in.

Ubuntu user number # 15012

DoctorMO
June 8th, 2007, 02:25 PM
the greenbacks in your wallet

He means money, UK pounds haven't been green for 40 years.

Rhyn W
June 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Push & Pull

Let’s assume that the 34 million could all email one company asking for a particular product, Hmmm that would-be considered a push. And see as we don't have the pull factor like apple or the other one, we need to get together and push these companies to start supporting us...
I'm guessing but I'm probably one of thousands of people who are turning to Linux everyday...
The bigger we become the more power we have as a target market...
34 Million That’s amazing.
Brand that and I think a lot of companies will start supporting Linux machines.
I know that the companies will do a poor job of creating the software but at least the products we by will initially work, and that will bode well for more people to see the light.
My Bluetooth dongle for instance she no work with my Linux machine. Now what do I do?
So if it had come with something that just made my Bluetooth work, that would be a bonus. Next year I will probably go looking for something that will make it faster or better written by one of the Linux Boffs Guru's and bring that on board.
Or maybe next year I'll probably go and by the Bluetooth dongle that comes with a disk for installing on Linux! Because next year it will be on the market because I will email them all and tell them to get their acts together. Thats my plan anyway.

And the more us that do it the faster they will start listening.
I was just saying we should have a place where we can start this process off.
Get the Linux voice out there.