PDA

View Full Version : Phone support and missing forum posts

DoctorMO
June 8th, 2007, 05:15 AM
So I writes this really nice post to fill in some sanity into a baddly written and spelled post. only to find that when I hit submit the post has gone.

OK so I accept that the thread was abusive so I won't quote any, but I'd not like to waste my time so I'll post my response.

I tried to get my Nokia 6060 to work in Linux but the phone caused fire and then exploaded. This doesn't work in this operating system. I notice that MacOSX has the Nokia Suite which although nokia won't port over to Linux I blame all of you for this small failure in my own abilities (added swearing)

Phones are poor quality in general, the features they offer are always very slim and the phone makers and network operators control what software you can run on them. put simply the mobile phone isn't ready for Linux yet. and the market needs to grow up some more.

I have far too many grievances to continue to use Linux any further, I shall be recommending any friends that I COULD make in the future not to use it; and I hope you all will be most sorry for prompting my anger by not pandering to my tastes.

Yes your right the best solution as you so concisely put, would be to implement a HAL driven connection to user service back ends which would tie into any specific client gui. and I do like your idea of holding all protocalls in a standard module format that can be reused for multiple phones coupled to your idea of phone id settings stored within HALs data structure so the user services don't mess up syncing and service settings when you plug in two or more phones at the same time or one after another. actually your ideas on passive ports for serial connected phones was most forward thinking even if most passive ports are not used for newer devices I think the kernel level modifications would be very valuable.

See instead of bitching I use the large thing between my ears to think of solutions. this isn't windows or Mac where you have to beg someone else for support. this is the real world mate; like it or hate it, your either proactive and productive member of the community or your an abusive leech. guess which one you are at the moment?

Tundro Walker
June 8th, 2007, 06:01 AM
DocMO, you are hilarious! You ignore the guys complaining and have a conversation with him to help him as if he's being civil about it.

(Complain, Complain, Complain!)

DocMO: "Sure, I can see how the protocol must have gotten swapped."

(More Complaining!)

DocMO: "Interesting, I hadn't though of trying that."

(Even more complaining!)

DocMO: "So what you're saying is try the other protocol and that'll work. Brilliant!"

yabbadabbadont
June 8th, 2007, 06:07 AM
The lengths to which some people will go to get the last word.... :D

steven8
June 8th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Oh Yeah!?

DoctorMO
June 8th, 2007, 01:01 PM
You should have seen the original, I toned the quotes town.

koenn
June 8th, 2007, 04:50 PM
You should have seen the original, I toned the quotes town.
I'm sorry I missed it. Sounds like it was fun.

koenn
June 8th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Really.
Kinda reminds me of something else, too.
Anyway...

DoctorMO
June 8th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I'm sorry I missed it. Sounds like it was fun.

It was deleted for good reasons. But we should talk about phones and linux and ideas.

prizrak
June 8th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Phone support sux in Windows just as much so I don't see what the problem really is. Only smartphones really have any kind of usefull PC link up.

I think it would be better to concentrate on Bluetooth connectivity with the phones. I cannot for the life of me get BitPim to work over Bluetooth with my LG.

There is basically no way we could get phone manufacturers to standartize their data ports and you would be hard pressed to find a Bluetoothless phone nowadays anyway. Would be nice to implement some sort of a daemon (not sure what it actually would be) that could be connected to by any GUI of choice.