PDA

View Full Version : The Future is Open...

DeadSuperHero
June 8th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Hey, all. I decided this would provide an interesting discussion. I've written about Open Source, Linux, and the power of communities.
You can read it on my blog:
Read it Here (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=157174905&blogID=273711295&Mytoken=EA6D92F9-17AB-48C7-8D1CFB66F821186D4611554)
I just want to raise a little bit of awareness about Linux, Open Source, and completely new concepts. Feel free to discuss it.
Cheers,
Alliance

EDIT- For those of you who don't like blogs, I've put most of the article below.

Today I'm going to talk about Linux. I'm not going to rant about how I got my license yesterday, or how I drove my car into town today. I'm going to talk about something different.
Have you ever noticed that Windows is incredibly common? It's THE Operating System, and Mac seems to be "the only alternative" ?

Let me tell you something. There are several alternate OS systems. There's Sun Microsystem's Solaris,, there's OS2/Warp, there's Amiga, and the list goes on.
However, Linux is more than an operating system. It focuses on the ideaology of a little something called Open Source.

What is Open Source? Quite simply, it's free software. Not just free in the sense that you don't have to pay for it. I mean true freedom. Don't like how one feature is in a program? That's ok, you can open the source code, change things for yourself, and make it to suit your needs. A lot of times, you don't even have to do that. Everyone contributes in Open Source. Let's say a project is started to help making surfing the web easier. But, let's say it's a little bit slow. That's where Open Source comes in. You (or somebody else) can open it up, tweak the codes, and speed it up a bit. Then, you put it online, tell some people, and somebody else makes your code even better. Open Source is true freedom.

Linux started out in the early 1990's by a guy named Linus Torvalds. He was working with a system at school that he didn't like, and so he decided to make his own. After months of hard work, he made the first Linux operating system. Then, he did what most companies would consider insane: he released it for free.
This started a movement. People thought it was a great idea to make Open Source stuff, and Linux developed wildly. It kind of had a rocky start, but because it was Open Source, that meant that anyone could help it grow.

So, it's not just a system. It's an ideaology. A way of thinking.
In fact the whole concept of Open Source was started by a guy named Richard Stallman, back in the 80's. He worked on developing a free, Unix-like system. He invented the concept of copyleft, which basically meant that anybody could do anything with whatever product that happened to be part of his copyleft plan. With these concepts, he came up with the GNU Public License, a license that allowed everyone to contribute to Open Source. It began as the tool of free thinkers, and has impacted the computer world in more ways than you can imagine.

I'm not saying that 'It's better than x product.' or 'More people use it.'
I'm offering something more than that: difference.
So many people think that just because Windows is the "leading Operating System" that everyone has to upgrade to the latest version. It's a way out of the mob mentality, and a way into the Open Source ideaology.

So, what does that mean? Does that mean that a bunch of people sat in their basements programming all day. Well, there's a bit of truth to that.
However, many companies have started contributing to Linux and Open Source.

-Sony
-IBM
-Verizon
-Dell
-Ubuntu Foundation
-Novell
-Open Source Foundation
-Mozilla (creators of Firefox)
-Google (many of their computers run on Linux)
-YouTube
-Wal-Mart (Actually sells some Linux computers)
-Hewlett-Packard
-Amazon (sells them)
-EnterpriseOne
-PeopleSoft Enterprise
-Oracle
-AOL
-AT&T
-BBC
-CodeWeavers
-Corel
-GarageGames
-Id Software (The creators of the DOOM and Unreal Games)
-Linpire
-Loki (Now out of business. Used to port awesome, popular games to Linux)
-Lucas Digital
-Motorola
-Tera Soft Solutions
-VIACOM / VIVA PLUS Fernsehen
-Xerox
-And many more.

Linux used to be for geeks. However, it is constantly getting easier and easier to use. There's a lot of different distributions out there, meaning tons of different flavors of Linux.

The one I prefer, and suggest is Ubuntu. It's very customizable, and it pretty much works out of the box. You can get it at www.ubuntu.com.

However, if that doesn't fit your fancies, there's other simple distros to try.
-Linspire: An extremely easy to use distro, though you have to pay money for an offical cd. You can try if for 30 days, though.
-PcLinuxOS: Another nice alternative for the desktop: http://www.pclinuxos.com/

It's only problem is wireless. You might have to mess around with that, but to save you the trouble, you could always buy a "Buffalo Air Station Turbo G", which recieves the signals, and you just hook it up to your ethernet port with a short wire. You might have to use this, seeing as some wireless card manufacturers don't make drivers for them. If you get the drivers installed, and they don't work, try taking the card out, and putting it back in. However, this is pretty much your only really serious problem.

Your next question is "Can I run Windows games in Linux?"
The answer is yes, for the most part. Some games run better than others, and some games don't run at all. There's a few places where you can get emulators to run them.

-ScummVM: A LucasArts engine, lets you play alot of LucasArts games from the 90's. (http://www.scummvm.org/)

-FreeSCI: Like ScummVM, except it's for old Sierra games. (http://freesci.linuxgames.com/)

-WINE: The granddaddy of Linux emulation. Although it craps out sometimes, it's a very nice emulator that can run a range of apps. It's free though. (http://www.winehq.org/)

-Cedega: Built on WINE, it lets you install and play your Windows games. It costs money to buy it, but it's a damn sweet emulator. They even have a library to see which games work with it, and how well they run. (www.cedega.com)

-CrossOverOffice: Built on WINE, lets you run Photoshop, Itunes, and even World of WarCraft without problems. You can go to their site, and even get a 30 day trial. (www.codeweavers.com)

Also, it's pretty easy to install apps in distros like Ubuntu. You can also get AutoMatix to install even more great free stuff. (www.getautomatix.com)
My favorite thing about Ubuntu is the community support. If you're stuck with something, zip on over to www.ubuntuforums.org, register yourself, and post what's wrong. Within a very short period of time, you'll get excellent advice on how to get around the problem.

So, I recommend you all take a look at Open Source, and Linux. Simply put, it's kickass.
Oh, and Linux is getting increasingly more moron-proof. It gets easier to use every day.
The Future is Open...

tim1980
June 8th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Kool thanks for your post/blog

I welcome you to join my Open Source Community site please if your interested, we need people like you :popcorn:

DeadSuperHero
June 8th, 2007, 06:24 AM
I'd be more than happy to, dude. I'll be sure to sign up.
I'll probably go by my more common username, "Alliance", on there.
See you there. :)

woodsmoke
June 8th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Kool thanks for your post/blog

I welcome you to join my Open Source Community site please if your interested, we need people like you :popcorn:

HI
I will be joining.
woodsmoke

DeadSuperHero
June 8th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Well, I'm all for an open-source website. Strikes me as neat. :)

Pekkalainen
June 8th, 2007, 04:21 PM
As far as I can see not even one word about Richard Stallman who came up with the entire philosophy. Do your homework ;)

DeadSuperHero
June 8th, 2007, 04:26 PM
As far as I can see not even one word about Richard Stallman who came up with the entire philosophy. Do your homework ;)

Uhh...oops.
I think I'll go add that in.
Thank you for pointing that out.
Fixed! Thank you so much.
Geez, forgetting Richard Stallman...that's a doozy.

Pekkalainen
June 8th, 2007, 04:48 PM
No problem, you should also point out the differences in views between the free software movement and the open source movement to be fair to the GNU guys. Linux this and Linux that, most people on this forum is really ******* on the hard work of the free software movement.

DeadSuperHero
June 8th, 2007, 04:54 PM
No problem, you should also point out the differences in views between the free software movement and the open source movement to be fair to the GNU guys. Linux this and Linux that, most people on this forum is really ******* on the hard work of the free software movement.

Maybe...
but this just started out as a myspace blog to get my friends into the concept of Open Source, and Linux. I don't want to overload them with tons of history, when they don't even understand what Linux and Open Source is all about.
On the other hand, maybe I should...
Perhaps I could explain why "free" software is a misnomer. I dunno.