PDA

View Full Version : Need some General Help

Syzygy586
June 8th, 2007, 02:09 AM
I've read through the stickies and figured out most of the technical questions I had, i.e. if ubuntu would work with my hardware I have etc etc... I downloaded the latest version of ubuntu and am currently running it live from my DVD-Rom, and have noticed some things I really don't like about it. To start off, I have a windows optical mouse with thumb buttons, which I use as a page back/forward function in my web browsers and folders. Wondering if I can change the function of the mouse buttons through either the command line or preferences..

One thing that really got me interested was the graphics and desktop effects i could do with ubuntu, but upon trying to turn on the desktop effects my screen goes completely white, I can hit esc 1-2 times and it comes back to normal. I read a forum post by another user that says he could change his color settings from 24 bit to 16 bit which solved his problem.

I'm VERY new to ubuntu and would really like to learn this OS further but cant seem to find the information, are there any other sites that have a bit more information or have walkthrough's on how to do some of this stuff.. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

As I said before I have yet to install the app on my HD as I would like to learn a bit more about it before I just dive right in. I've been using PC's for 10 years now. I know my way around a PC fairly well but linux is something very new to me.

Thanks in advance=) :popcorn:

Foxmike
June 8th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Hi and welcome! You might want to make a look to: https://help.ubuntu.com/ , http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/FrontPage , and http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Main_Page . Those are great sites for documentation! Therefore for Desktop effects, I would suggest you to install it first and install proper drivers for your video card. A nice way to do this is with the "Proprietary Drivers Managers" that can be found under the "System" -> "Administration" menu.

Good luck!:)

jimrz
June 8th, 2007, 03:16 AM
I've read through the stickies and figured out most of the technical questions I had, i.e. if ubuntu would work with my hardware I have etc etc... I downloaded the latest version of ubuntu and am currently running it live from my DVD-Rom, and have noticed some things I really don't like about it. To start off, I have a windows optical mouse with thumb buttons, which I use as a page back/forward function in my web browsers and folders. Wondering if I can change the function of the mouse buttons through either the command line or preferences..

One thing that really got me interested was the graphics and desktop effects i could do with ubuntu, but upon trying to turn on the desktop effects my screen goes completely white, I can hit esc 1-2 times and it comes back to normal. I read a forum post by another user that says he could change his color settings from 24 bit to 16 bit which solved his problem.

I'm VERY new to ubuntu and would really like to learn this OS further but cant seem to find the information, are there any other sites that have a bit more information or have walkthrough's on how to do some of this stuff.. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

As I said before I have yet to install the app on my HD as I would like to learn a bit more about it before I just dive right in. I've been using PC's for 10 years now. I know my way around a PC fairly well but linux is something very new to me.

Thanks in advance=) :popcorn:

1- the mouse thing can be done with a simple edit of your xorg.conf file. if you decide to install, repost the question and I will reply with a copy of the appropriate section of my conf. I use the same one you do.

2&3- have not had the white screen problem, but have seen several threads here regarding it and how to rectify. searching these forums for whatever specific problem/question yoe encounter is one of (maybe the) best ways of learning/ troubleshooting your ubuntu.