PDA

View Full Version : Question about a myth

Somenoob
June 7th, 2007, 11:16 PM
"Hardware malfunction from customised boxes is more probable than hardware to malfunction from pre-built factory boxes"

Seen this several times(or something of this nature) how true is it?

Bachstelze
June 7th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Must be true. When you build it yourself, he chances of you messing it up are obviously higher.

ticopelp
June 7th, 2007, 11:21 PM
It depends on who's building it, I would imagine. If you don't know what you're doing and don't take care to avoid things like static charge, then yeah, you're more prone to hardware failure.

Somenoob
June 7th, 2007, 11:24 PM
A custom machine with compatible components is more likely to fail than a box put together by a company, that's what I meant not how it's built or who did it.

Dokatz
June 7th, 2007, 11:28 PM
You gotta take alot of things into account.

1. Quality of parts for hobbyist builders compared to pre-fab machines. LIKELY, The parts going into pre-fab will be much lower quality than those made for the mass (And I mean MASSSS) market. Pre-fab companies skimp on this stuff sometimes to save on cost. I've seen alot of 'Wtf is this standard' and '...HOW DO I PRONOUNCE THAT' type companies when opening up some pre-fab rigs.

This isn't always the case.

2. Human error, Generally will be a more serious problem when working at home as a non-professional as opposed to it being put together by machines or people pretending to be machines, Whom have been doing it for 6 hours already, And are hoping for their last break more than anything.

3. The USER and the Definition of failure is a serious problem as well. If someone is very new to computers, They won't be able to pin down hardware problems and might blame it on software. Thus making pre-fab computers in some cases SEEM to break less often. A hobbyist builder (Like myself) usually works to diagnose problems immediately (Because we are geeks usually, Or at least really comfortable around technology we birthed (in part) ourselves)).

ticopelp
June 8th, 2007, 03:33 PM
A custom machine with compatible components is more likely to fail than a box put together by a company, that's what I meant not how it's built or who did it.

Uh. Not to be picky, but this sentence contradicts itself.

DoctorMO
June 8th, 2007, 03:41 PM
people pretending to be machines

Pah they always break.