PDA

View Full Version : "Could care less"

v8YKxgHe
June 7th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Hey,

I've noticed a lot recently that people keep posting "could care less", shouldn't it be "couldn't care less"? As the latter one means you can not care less about it, while the former means you _could_ care less, which suggests that you do care (as you can care less than you currently are).

Like, if we had a care-o-meter:

10 - Care a lot
5 -> "could care less" - it means you do care about it, because you can care less (5 more places until you don't care!)
0 - Don't care at all = "Couldn't care less", you can't go any further down the care-o-meter, so you can't care less!

See what I mean? :p

azkehmm
June 7th, 2007, 07:51 PM
"You're really weird"
-Willy Wonka

:D

steeleyuk
June 7th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Its just people being lazy and missing the 'nt' off...

...and others being picky :p

starcraft.man
June 7th, 2007, 07:52 PM
LOL. Nice touch with the care-o-meter :p.

I just hope the Care Bears don't show up... I'm scared of them. Their just too damn nice....... seriously.

Oh and more on topic, I only use "couldn't care less", the other one just sounds weird....

Baelfael
June 7th, 2007, 07:54 PM
"Could Care Less" also makes sense. It means that you are already at the bottom of the care-o-meter, and that you hate it so much that you could care even less than that, to the negative area of the care-o-meter, which means that you detest it.

v8YKxgHe
June 7th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I don't think my care-o-meter is that advanced that it goes into negatives =D

"You're really weird"
-Willy Wonka

haha yeah it's a weird topic!

Baelfael
June 7th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I don't think my care-of-meter is that advanced that it goes into negatives =D
Then that's even better. It means you could care less to the impossible-ness of caring.

This thread is oddly very thought provoking. Both could be correct, it depends on how you view it or how much you think into it.

vigleik
June 7th, 2007, 07:57 PM
"Could Care Less" also makes sense. It means that you are already at the bottom of the care-o-meter, and that you hate it so much that you could care even less than that, to the negative area of the care-o-meter, which means that you detest it.

According to this logic, you could always care less. Because if you do care, surely you can also care less. So it's an empty statement.

jgrabham
June 7th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Stop being pidantic

az
June 7th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Irregardless of this topic, some people don't talk very good.

bonzodog
June 7th, 2007, 08:00 PM
This is a classic example of grammatical differences between True UK English, and American English.

Both are technically correct, but here in Europe and the UK, "Couldn't care less" is grammatically correct.

"Could care less" appears to be restricted to US usage.

Baelfael
June 7th, 2007, 08:01 PM
According to this logic, you could always care less. Because if you do care, surely you can also care less. So it's an empty statement.
I know how to counter this, but I have no idea how to type it out. :p

Irregardless of this topic, some people don't talk very well.Fixed. :D

ticopelp
June 7th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Stop being pidantic

It's spelled pedantic. :D

jgrabham
June 7th, 2007, 08:10 PM
It's spelled pedantic. :D

A bit ironic of you to say that :]

Cheese Sandwich
June 7th, 2007, 08:12 PM
A pet peeve of mine is "miles an hour", when it should be "miles per hour".

Unfortunately "miles an hour" is the standard usage in the news media, etc.

Eddie Wilson
June 7th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I voted Couldn't care less because that means you could not care any more lesserer. Well you know what I mean.
Eddie

steeleyuk
June 7th, 2007, 08:15 PM
lesserer

I think you just invented a new word... :)

v8YKxgHe
June 7th, 2007, 08:15 PM
A pet peeve of mine is "miles an hour", when it should be "miles per hour".

Unfortunately "miles an hour" is the standard usage in the news media, etc.

Ah yeah that's true, I'm guilty of that one!

Btw, I love your name and avatar haha

BigSilly
June 7th, 2007, 08:19 PM
It's always been "couldn't care less" where I'm from. I just suspected it was a US/UK thing and left it at that.

Voted accordingly.

ticopelp
June 7th, 2007, 08:22 PM
A bit ironic of you to say that :]

You're quite a master of the obvious. :popcorn:

Is pointing out that correcting a simple spelling error isn't pedantic, itself a pedantic act? The mind reels.

saulgoode
June 7th, 2007, 08:31 PM
My velleity in this matter precludes me from forming an opinion.

GiantRobot
June 7th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I suspect 'could care less' is almost a sarcastic statement. However, it has been so widely used that it has taken on the meaning of 'couldn't care less'.

shen-an-doah
June 7th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Some people are stupid. This is not news.

juxtaposed
June 7th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Couldn't care less is better. It makes sense :D

matthinckley
June 7th, 2007, 10:19 PM
This thread is funny

SeanHodges
June 7th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Is pointing out that correcting a simple spelling error isn't pedantic, itself a pedantic act?

*IS* pedantic

matthew
June 7th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I could not care less about this...

;)

ticopelp
June 7th, 2007, 11:22 PM
*IS* pedantic

Well, now I'm just lost.

Tundro Walker
June 7th, 2007, 11:39 PM
And to think, tons of US gov't money was spent measuring the flow rate of ketchup when it could have gone to this much more important research.

Ease up grammar nazi...it's an online forum, not an English term paper.

ticopelp
June 7th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Ease up grammar nazi...it's an online forum, not an English term paper.

Lern 2 spel, n00b

BoyOfDestiny
June 7th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Irregardless of this topic, some people don't talk very good.

Hmm, I'll bite. :)

You should use "regardless", although "irregardless" is a word:
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/irregardless

and it should be "well" not "good".

:)

My biggest pet peeve remains "alot", when he or she means "a lot".

Yes Firefox 2.0+ users, there is a reason "alot" gets underlined in red...

I couldn't care less at this point though, if not I'd be in a tizzy. Just thought I'd mention it. ;)

aysiu
June 7th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I think az was trying to make a joke.

BoyOfDestiny
June 7th, 2007, 11:56 PM

I know. I just wanted to respond to it. It felt like "bait". No harm meant.

bx2
June 8th, 2007, 12:00 AM
As long as we're on one of my favorite subjects, I have always thought there should be the word "smallen" don't you think? As in make something smaller, it would be easier and we could then use that extra energy in thinking up other stuff to buy that we don't really need.

:D

DJ Wings
June 8th, 2007, 12:19 AM
My pet peeve is when people use the word "seemlessly". What the hell is that supposed to mean?
And yes, it's "Couldn't care less". People who do it the other way should think about what that would mean for a bit.

Cheese Sandwich
June 8th, 2007, 12:36 AM
My pet peeve is when people use the word "seemlessly". What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Without difficult or even apparent transitions from one domain/implementation/space to another.

neoflight
June 8th, 2007, 12:55 AM
i dont know nothing about it. i dont care..or i care less...;)

az
June 8th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Irregardless is *not* a word.

My biggest pet peeve remains "alot", when he or she means "a lot".
;)

Although it has been years since I have heard someone say "irregardless", my second biggest pet peeve is the word "thru" as in "drive-thru". Let's rot our kids' brains as well as their health, shall we?

az
June 8th, 2007, 01:30 AM
No sentence fragments!

DJ Wings
June 8th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Without difficult or even apparent transitions from one domain/implementation/space to another.

In that case, the word is "seamlessly". "Seemlessly" means without seems. Whatever "seems" are. And FYI, "seemlessly" comes up red in FFX.

aysiu
June 8th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Irregardless is *not* a word. From Merriam-Webster's entry on irregardless (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=irregardless):
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

RedSquirrel
June 8th, 2007, 02:36 AM
It's "couldn't care less". If you could care less, well, you're not there yet (at the bottom I mean).

Another one that annoys me is the use of "It begs the question..." in place of "It leads to the question...".

And to think, tons of US gov't money was spent measuring the flow rate of ketchup when it could have gone to this much more important research.

Measuring the flow rate of ketchup would be fun and useful. It's a viscoplastic material, so it flows very differently from water, for example. There are many important applications of viscoplastic materials.

yabbadabbadont
June 8th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Measuring the flow rate of ketchup would be fun and useful. It's a viscoplastic material, so it flows very differently from water, for example. There are many important applications of viscoplastic materials.

It is also called a Newtonian Fluid. Viscosity is inversely proportional to velocity. i.e. The faster it flows the less viscous it becomes so it flows faster and becomes less viscous ...... One of the neat things that I remember from aerodynamics class. :D (and the reason why there is a shriek when you first pop the core out of the valve stem on an inflated tire) ((our teacher came up with the coolest questions on tests))

RedSquirrel
June 8th, 2007, 03:14 AM
It is also called a Newtonian Fluid. Viscosity is inversely proportional to velocity. i.e. The faster it flows the less viscous it becomes so it flows faster and becomes less viscous ...... One of the neat things that I remember from aerodynamics class. :D (and the reason why there is a shriek when you first pop the core out of the valve stem on an inflated tire) ((our teacher came up with the coolest questions on tests))
I think you meant Non-Newtonian, but this thread is drifting and most people couldn't care less about this type of thing. :)

nonewmsgs
June 8th, 2007, 03:25 AM
i never said much of either way, but us english definitely embraces could care less
in the words of herr 50 cent "i could care less how she perform when she in bed"

yabbadabbadont
June 8th, 2007, 03:51 AM
I think you meant Non-Newtonian

Probably. It has been 20 years or so since I had that class.

but this thread is drifting and most people couldn't care less about this type of thing. :)

Definitely. I had forgotten to mention in my previous post that using "could" instead of "couldn't" was a pet peeve of mine too. (which would have made at least part of the post on-topic ;))

(Confusing "your" and "you're" is another gripe of mine)

DeafDog
June 8th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Not sure.

Though if you're really concerned, I have a third opinion that easily surpasses both and has no question about its legitimacy

"Couldn't give a ****."

matthew
June 8th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Some of you know that I'm a writer. This amuses me.

Rules for Clear Writing

Verbs has to agree with their subjects.
Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.
And don't start a sentence with a conjunction.
It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.
Avoid cliches like the plague. (They're old hat.)
Also, always avoid annoying alliteration.
Be more or less specific.
Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary.
Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies.
No sentence fragments.
Contractions aren't necessary and shouldn't be used.
Foreign words and phrases are not apropos.
Do not be redundant; do not use more words than necessary; it's highly superfluous.
One should never generalize.
Comparisons are as bad as cliches.
Don't use no double negatives.
Eschew ampersands & abbreviations, etc.
One-word sentences? Eliminate.
Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake.
The passive voice is to be ignored.
Eliminate commas, that are, not necessary. Parenthetical words however should be enclosed in commas.
Never use a big word when a diminutive one would suffice.
Do not use multiple exclamation points NOR all caps for emphasis!!!
Use words correctly, irregardless of how others use them.
Understatement is always the absolute best way to put forth earth shaking ideas.
Use the apostrophe in it's proper place and omit it when its not needed.
Eliminate quotations. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
If you've heard it once, you've heard it a thousand times: Resist hyperbole; not one writer in a million can use it correctly.
Puns are for children, not groan readers.
Go around the barn at high noon to avoid colloquialisms.
Even if a mixed metaphor sings, it should be derailed.
Who needs rhetorical questions?
Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.
The passive voice should never be used.
Do not put statements in the negative form.
A writer must not shift your point of view.
Place pronouns as close as possible, especially in long sentences of 10 or more words, to their antecedents.
Writing carefully, dangling participles must be avoided.
If any word is improper at the end of a sentence, a linking verb is.
Take the bull by the hand and avoid mixing metaphors.
Avoid trendy locutions that sound flaky.
Everyone should be careful to use a singular pronoun with singular nouns in their writing.
Always pick on the correct idiom.
The adverb always follows the verb.
Be careful to use the rite homonym.
And last...
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

karellen
June 8th, 2007, 08:22 AM
even if English is not my native language it seems to me that couldn't care less is the correct form

shen-an-doah
June 8th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Not sure.

Though if you're really concerned, I have a third opinion that easily surpasses both and has no question about its legitimacy

"Couldn't give a ****."

Actually, some people mess that one up and use "could" there too...

az
June 8th, 2007, 01:11 PM
From Merriam-Webster's entry on irregardless (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=irregardless):

Everyone knows that any old shmo can put whatever they want on the internet...

Look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls

matthinckley
June 8th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I think the poll results speak for themselves

tom717
July 1st, 2007, 06:31 PM
Sorry to bump a three week old thread, but I can't believe "could care less" got any votes. Whenever I have seen it written I have always thought it to be a typing error, I would never have thought that anyone actually thought it was the correct phrase.

steveneddy
July 1st, 2007, 06:35 PM

Hey - there you are. Good to see you. :D

steveneddy
July 1st, 2007, 06:36 PM

I thought you'd be here.

:popcorn:

forrestcupp
July 1st, 2007, 06:50 PM
Hey - there you are. Good to see you. :D

That post was 3 weeks ago, before he quit the forums. Probably one of his last posts.

fuscia
July 1st, 2007, 06:56 PM
i could care less, but that would require a level of initiative i don't possess.

steveneddy
July 1st, 2007, 07:03 PM
That post was 3 weeks ago, before he quit the forums. Probably one of his last posts.

I'm so STOOPID!!

dang...

#-o

steveneddy
July 1st, 2007, 07:04 PM
i could care less, but that would require a level of initiative i don't possess.

:|

deanlinkous
July 1st, 2007, 07:24 PM
I couldn't care less about this subject....

wersdaluv
July 6th, 2007, 06:21 PM
It depends on the usage.

dca
July 6th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Couldn't care less is correct...

Along w/ "As I Said" not "Like I Said"

or people that say "Firstly"... It's "First"

Or 'regards', that only belongs in closings...

"I'm calling in regard..." Not "in regards..."

Oooh, another one is people that say "I would like to thank....."

Would like to, then why don't you?

forrestcupp
July 6th, 2007, 08:29 PM

If you don't possess that level of initiative, then technically you couldn't care less. So it doesn't even apply here.

dca
July 6th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Or how 'bout "supposably" instead of "supposedly"?

mdsmedia
July 6th, 2007, 11:52 PM
There their they're, dca....relax ;)

kamaboko
July 6th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Yuz ned ya'll copee of a werdz...

R3linquish3r
July 7th, 2007, 12:57 AM
I voted for could care less because when I say it I say it with mucho sarcasm :D

macogw
July 7th, 2007, 01:12 AM
I know how to counter this, but I have no idea how to type it out. :p

Fixed. :D

Not fixed. "Irregardless" isn't a word. Well, it's in the dictionary, but it's only as much a word as "ain't" since it's marked "nonstandard." Besides, "ir-" would negate "regardless" making it "regarded."

saulgoode
July 7th, 2007, 01:39 AM
I prefer the sound of "could care less", and it has an implicit "... but don't" trailing it to make it somewhat sensible.

People need to unloosen up. :)