PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Review on my blog

nvbauer
July 6th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Just a heads up I posted my first blog and review ever here http://normspot.blogsome.com/

Enjoy,

Norm

gil-galad
July 6th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Nice website. Simple and easy on the eyes. :)

Sye d'Burns
July 6th, 2005, 03:27 AM
Good review. Nice work!

matthew
July 6th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Nice review. Thanks!

Nimefurahi
July 6th, 2005, 04:44 AM
"This is it."

We have come home.

Nice review, Norm! You have articulated my heart.

sapo
July 6th, 2005, 04:57 AM
screenshots would be a good thing to the review :grin:

poofyhairguy
July 6th, 2005, 07:15 AM
One quick thing:

One thing lacking in the Hoary Hedgehog release is a sudo Nautilus File Manager. Most newbies when faced with the challenge of editing a configuration file in /etc are more comfortable (understandably so) using a GUI and gedit to make changes.

I point this out because its one of my favorite things about Ubuntu. We have a pretty cool super nautilus and I use it a lot. Run the command "gksudo nautilus" and you will have a safe (safe as root can be) file browser that won't mess up your authority files. I know thats not easy or new user friendly...but it works better than anything XP has (run as is a joke in comparison).

At present it still requires you to enter the sudo password, which makes it not as useful for security conscious admins like myself.

What is the problem with this exactly? I don't get it...Please explain. I'm not trying to criticise any of your work- the review was well written- its just that I kinda want to know what you know on this one...

Dragonfly_X
July 6th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Dude... You've got to get a girlfriend!!!

nvbauer
July 6th, 2005, 10:35 AM
One quick thing:

I point this out because its one of my favorite things about Ubuntu. We have a pretty cool super nautilus and I use it a lot. Run the command "gksudo nautilus" and you will have a safe (safe as root can be) file browser that won't mess up your authority files. I know thats not easy or new user friendly...but it works better than anything XP has (run as is a joke in comparison).

What is the problem with this exactly? I don't get it...Please explain. I'm not trying to criticise any of your work- the review was well written- its just that I kinda want to know what you know on this one...
First, Dragonfly My wife of 11 years (or She Who Knows No Wrong) would not take kindly to a girlfriend =)

Poofyhair guy - Thanks for pointing that out. I do need to elaborate a little on this. I do not give my users at work any elavated privlidges what so ever. For instance if Microsoft had the same feature and every time the user wanted to change the location they needed to enter the password for Administrator, well I would either have to find a hack so that they could do it without Admins password or they would not be changing their location.

It is an essential design and managment decision that keeps my users and computers safe 97% of the time. It also keeps unauthorized software off my computers. There is nothing worse to me than having usres install crap on their workstations without my knowledge.

It sounds strict, but honestly I have users come up to me all the time who came from other medium sized compainies and tell me how nice our system is. And I'll add that I am just the Admin there, the total design and philosophy was done by current boss and leader.

I hope this better explains it. Thanks again for your comments, they are appreciated.