PDA

View Full Version : installing wubi on real partition

karlrt
June 7th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Hi out there!

first of all, great tool you made here, it really works easy!

but as a feature request, couldnt there be an option to install wubi on a real ext3 partition? i dont even need a partition manager or resizing or anything like that, i allready can do that. just want to install it on my allready made partition...

and another thing: why is there a alternate-amd64.iso.metalink when it never, by any chance downloads this package?

yours

karl

ago
June 7th, 2007, 09:40 AM
There will be a tool to migrate later on, but for the moment you should use the live CD then.

karlrt
June 7th, 2007, 10:10 AM
thanx for this fast answering,

but my problem, and thats accually why i use wubi is: my cdrom doesnt work no more! i got an old external drive, but this isnot bootable...

i got the normal cd and burned it... that wouldnt be my problem, it is the booting... so it would be really cool if it worked. not only with a migrating tool (i tried it out myself, but it was half broken, gnome still searched for the home partition somewhere else...) but only to give me the option of installing it on a real partition and to change my iso to a amd64 one.

that cant be so hard to impliment in the advanced settings?

ago
June 7th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I will see if I can modify wubi so that it can work as a standard installer. In the meantime you can use the hd-media initrd. Tuxcantfly also had a netboot version:

http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetup/wubi/downloads/experimental/wubi-7.04-netboot.exe

karlrt
June 7th, 2007, 11:20 PM
thanx for the netboot tip. Im now writing from a brand new ubuntu-machine...

ago
June 7th, 2007, 11:21 PM
thank tuxcantfly