PDA

View Full Version : and the award for best live distro goes to....

wolfen69
June 7th, 2007, 04:27 AM
my vote goes to Sabayon. it does absolutely EVERYTHING. every codec, every drive recognized....
i'm on it now, and it's definitely going in my toolbox. ive installed it before briefly, but ultimately was let down, but it's a hell of a live cd.

Stew2
June 7th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Im actually having fun with Puppy Linux. I have just downloaded and burnt the latest iso. This is the first time I have gotten my wireless to work in Linux. Even works with my WPA! I am a happy boy! :D I'm actually posting this from an old beater compaq that I picked up at a garage sale and stuck one of my wireless cards in. <hugs linux>

wolfen69
June 7th, 2007, 04:47 AM
cool. i just downloaded pizzapup,(which is a stripped down puppy) to try on an old win98 machine. i tried DSL, but i thought it was a little too hard for the average person.(i'm trying to sell it)

anyway......

Chilli Bob
June 7th, 2007, 04:48 AM
I tried the Puppy Linux live CD for the first time yesterday, and it is fantastic. It runs completely from a 64Mb ram disk and is super fast. DVD's run out of the box. Internet set-up was a snap. All the applications I need except GIMP. I didn't try setting up the printer, and that is usualy the hardest thing, but I'll give it a try tonight. Plus, if you boot off a multisession CD or DVD, you can burn your data back onto the live CD, so you can have a portable Linux that works on old PC's that can't boot from memory sticks. AWESOME!

wolfen69
June 7th, 2007, 04:51 AM
i'll definitely have to give it a look see.

wolfen69
June 7th, 2007, 05:03 AM
as of this moment, nothing will sway me from debian/ubuntu in everday use, but this thread is about best live CD/DVD.

what's yours?

wolfen69
June 7th, 2007, 06:08 PM
:popcorn:

agger
June 7th, 2007, 07:02 PM
as of this moment, nothing will sway me from debian/ubuntu in everday use, but this thread is about best live CD/DVD.

what's yours?

dyne:bolic is good - DSL is good;
these two are my favorite live distros. I prefer the oldest dyne:bolic version called LUMUMBA, tho' but the new one called DHORUBA is coming along.

ragadanga63
June 8th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Puppy Linux. Hands down winner. I especially like its Mount Utility Tool which shows all your hard drives and their partitions. Wanna mount the partition? Just click on Mount and a rox button lights up and you can browse your partition pronto with read and write capability.

this distro had saved me a couple of times. When my brother-in-law's laptop's XP broke down, I used Puppy to retrieve all his files and burn it into several DVD disks. I then used Geparted to repartition then reformat his drive for a fresh XP install (his office has apps which are windows-only). He has since installed Puppy on his flashdrive.

Most of all, it is FAST! On my Celeron D with 256 MB RAM, there is almost no waiting time when one opens applications like the web browser and Abiword. I must say that Puppy was the most pleasant LINUX experience I've ever had.

aeiah
June 8th, 2007, 11:39 AM
i have slax on a mini-cd with my wireless drivers installed, and aircrack and other bits and pieces. i found adding modules for various bits of software into the iso before burning to be really simple to do, and ive never had a problem with it

Foxmike
June 8th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but I heard that Knoppix was hard to beat. Any thoughts?

AnRa
June 8th, 2007, 12:28 PM
My preferred list (in no particular order):

Damn Small
Puppy
SLAX
ZenLive