PDA

View Full Version : would it be ok to start a fork discussion?

woodsmoke
June 7th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Hi
I'm my name's Johnny Cash....no.... ;) it's woodsmoke

And I'd like to start a discussion about a fork in Ubuntu.

Would that be ok?

I have a few friends that might be dropping in also.

thanks

woodsmoke

hardyn
June 7th, 2007, 03:47 AM
sure... why not?

FuturePilot
June 7th, 2007, 03:51 AM
It's what open source is about. Freedom, choices.

Adamant1988
June 7th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Absolutely. I hope if you're planning on forking it yourself you will take heed from Ubuntu's failures and successes and avoid any unnecessary issues with your users.

RAV TUX
June 7th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Ohhh! I love fork discussions, some of my favorite fork art is very minimalistic like the hand forks....

but I also like a bit more complex fork art like the Lion and the Chameleon

http://www.fork-art.com

TheMono
June 7th, 2007, 04:42 AM
If you're looking at forking, you are probably going to be just as much, if not more, interested in what our developers have to say - you can get hold of them at launchpad.net

Adamant1988
June 7th, 2007, 04:43 AM
If you're looking at forking, you are probably going to be just as much, if not more, interested in what our developers have to say - you can get hold of them at launchpad.net

I would actually rather suggest the mailing list. However, might I suggest that (instead of a fork) you apply your efforts to helping the Ubuntu project?

muguwmp67
June 7th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Its a little off-topic, but did you know that the spork was first seen in the 19th century?

RAV TUX
June 7th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Its a little off-topic, but did you know that the spork was first seen in the 19th century?

no way, do you have more information?

woodsmoke
June 7th, 2007, 06:10 AM
boy
what a bunch!
woodsmoke

woodsmoke
June 8th, 2007, 06:23 AM
surprisingly,
I'm back
I am rather serious about this.
What about.....

I could care the c##$$% less......

What about..... an Ubuntu......that appeals to THE MOST GEEKY......is TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAN ANYTHING YOU HAVE SEEN ON THE DESKTOP......

And.....is useable......within ....minutes....by the visually and motor impaired?

woodsmoke

RAV TUX
June 8th, 2007, 06:41 AM
surprisingly,
I'm back
I am rather serious about this.
What about.....

I could care the c##$$% less......

What about..... an Ubuntu......that appeals to THE MOST GEEKY......is TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAN ANYTHING YOU HAVE SEEN ON THE DESKTOP......

And.....is useable......within ....minutes....by the visually and motor impaired?

woodsmokeWoodsmoke I highly encourage any fork of any Linux distro.

What do you have in mind?

woodsmoke
June 8th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Hi
I won't get into the "long" of it....but the 'short" of it is that I have, over a three year journy with Linux.... had a ....cathartic moment.... with my other distro....

to cut to the chase....

How about a "fork"......that is all about.....

a) stability
b) finding hardware like printers and wireless
c)...let the user find from the repositories whatever else he or she likes in terms of office/media/whatever
d)......IS SO #$%%&& off the wall DIFFERENT.....that NOONE has ever seen a desktop like it.... because the desktop is derived from basic math algorithms and.....

is....so....simple.....and ....intuitive....that anyone can use it...from a kid to an oldster

AND.....and....I just got this today from an associate....if one little thing is done just to the APPEARANCE....of it....then it is

amenable to the visually and motor impaired.

All that is really needed is a distro upon which to put the pretty face.

woodsmoke

Adamant1988
June 8th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Hi
I won't get into the "long" of it....but the 'short" of it is that I have, over a three year journy with Linux.... had a ....cathartic moment.... with my other distro....

to cut to the chase....

How about a "fork"......that is all about.....

a) stability
b) finding hardware like printers and wireless
c)...let the user find from the repositories whatever else he or she likes in terms of office/media/whatever
d)......IS SO #$%%&& off the wall DIFFERENT.....that NOONE has ever seen a desktop like it.... because the desktop is derived from basic math algorithms and.....

is....so....simple.....and ....intuitive....that anyone can use it...from a kid to an oldster

AND.....and....I just got this today from an associate....if one little thing is done just to the APPEARANCE....of it....then it is

amenable to the visually and motor impaired.

All that is really needed is a distro upon which to put the pretty face.

woodsmoke

Will it use semantic storage? I love semantic storage :D

woodsmoke
June 8th, 2007, 07:33 AM
duuh....I guess I'll expose my iggernance here....
do you mean Sumantec storage...didn't know they made storage devices...

or sematics...? again...exposing my iggernance

woodsmoke

Adamant1988
June 8th, 2007, 07:53 AM
duuh....I guess I'll expose my iggernance here....
do you mean Sumantec storage...didn't know they made storage devices...

or sematics...? again...exposing my iggernance

woodsmoke

http://www.glscube.org/

woodsmoke
June 8th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Adamant1988

is that particular dingus tied to the normal menu system or is it possible to have two versions, one that is tied to the normal menu system and another that is "radically" different?

I realize that it was probably done in C++ , and I'm NOT a programmer, but if it has normal "hooks" it should be amenable to another type of GUI...

thanks VERY MUCH for the link....it is kind of approaching thing more intutitively than just a "menu"

woodsmoke