PDA

View Full Version : FreeAges

Ireclan
June 7th, 2007, 01:03 AM
This post is about a dream of mine. The dream started as a tiny seedling and slowly germinated to where it was definable in form. Some time has passed since then, during which I debated bringing it to the forefront of my mind and into the light of these forums. I was hesitant, you see, and still am. I do not want the concept to come to nothing, to have its only epithet be that of "neat idea" or "would be nice". I wanted it to come to fruition, to be transformed into a concept with healthy substance and reality! But as time wore on, I realized that my idea was CERTAIN to die a slow, dusty, mouldering death if it stayed with me alone, for I have not the talent or skills to see it through its birthing. And so now we come to the present day, where I present to you a software concept born not out of any great paradigm shift of the mind, but instead the simple, untainted love of a game.

The concept itself I have dubbed "FreeAges", after the manner of the open source and free game known as FreeCiv. The goals of both games correlate rather well, almost serving as a mirror reflection for FreeAges'. FreeCiv's goals could be summed up as:

* Clone Civilization II.

* Allow the clone "free" status (both as in speech and as in beer).

* Extend the functionality of the game without greatly altering its look and feel.

This could be said to be the goals of FreeAges, save one thing: it would be Microsoft's award-winning strategy game Age of Empires I software that would receive the treatment. I propose that Age of Empires I be cloned, GPL'ed, given away freely, and developed beyond its original capabilities.

The pitfalls of such a project would, of course, be numerous. One cannot merely copy Age of Empires I in its entirety. The laws of copyright forbid the reproduction of its artwork or music, and the penalty for breaking those laws would likely be severe, especially when the copyright holder is none other than Microsoft corporation, a multibillion dollar company with vast resources and an army of lawyers, and a loathing of the GPL and Linux. Since the only members of this project would likely be a handful of artists and programmers, taking chances would be at a premium, as Microsoft would be looking for any chance to sue. The only course of action I can foresee that would fend off Microsoft would be to start from scratch in regards to all aspects of the endeavor. This has the benefit of granting legality to the clone, but makes for a long and arduous initial development. Any legal alternatives would be appreciated.

But before any legal aspects can be considered, the practical questions of such a project must be dealt with. Namely, how shall this program be developed and distributed? Using what manpower and resources? This question is what troubles me the most. I am poor; I have no money with which to pay a programmer on an ongoing basis. Nor does it seem likely that I myself could assume the role of programmer; I have a marked deficiency in math, and to learn the craft of programming would require several years, a delay which I believe should be avoided if at all possible.

The benefits of such a software program being developed should not be overlooked either. Linux is in a state such that it covers most basic tasks well, but it still lacks in one field: entertainment. Like a half-finished tapestry, Linux entertainment is not completely whole, having plenty of music and video players, but threadbare of games, unless one trusts to WINE, can afford VM Ware, or feels morally comfortable with videogame piracy. While FreeAges can't complete this unfinished tapestry, it can fill in a goodly portion of it. Not enough so that an observer will be unable to tell that the tapestry remains unfinished, but enough that progress is NOTICABLE.

Any comments, criticisms, and of course, suggestions regarding my proposal are welcome. As a final note, and by way of concluding, let me say that it is my eventual hope that FreeAges becomes more than just another game. If that's all it ever becomes, I will of course, be joyously grateful. But it is my personal wish that it become a sort of every man's strategy game, one that , thanks to its low hardware requirements (comparatively speaking with other games of the present time frame), can also run on an every man's computer. If that were ever to occur, I would feel I had done some greater good in the Linux software world.

juxtaposed
June 7th, 2007, 01:09 AM
I'd certainly play it (well, if I can get module-assistant working again to get 3d acceleration...)

Age of Empires was an amazing game. Simple, and it worked on almost any hardware; even an old windows 95 computer.

bobbybobington
June 7th, 2007, 01:44 AM
AWESOME!! Hopefully this will help fill the void of good rts games for linux, the exception being netpanzer of course.:popcorn:

nonewmsgs
June 7th, 2007, 01:47 AM
aoe2, grand theft auto: san andreas, and sid meier's pirates are my favorite pc games. and i would LOVE to see an opensouurce age of empires especially if we can plan lan or internet.

a12ctic
June 7th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Yeah, I would love a solid AOE2 clone! That game was my favorite game of all time!!!

IYY
June 7th, 2007, 02:20 AM
This project, though certainly not easy, might not be too difficult either. You can use the Free engine Stratagus, http://www.boswars.org/screenshots.shtml, basically the same gameplay as Age of Empires I or II, and and pre-rendered 3D sprites for the units (as in Age of Epires I and II).

I am no good at character animation, but I could make a few building sprites. Here's a small house sprite (http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/5170/hutxl6.png) I made for a game we were once working on. Making 3D characters is quite difficult if you insist on using Free software like Blender. One option would be to use the Windows-only program Poser to create pre-rendered characters. This can be done quite easily.

Or, of course, you could go against the style of the original game and use pixel-art style 2D sprites. The advantage of this is that you can easily create very different kinds of units, and manage large-scale battles (since the units are smaller in size). For example,

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/6638/unitsmq2.png

The most important thing is not to replicate the game too closely. For example, the devs of FreeCraft basically made a copy of Warcraft II and lthough the art, sound and engine were completely original, they represented the exact same things as the original game (you could even use the same maps). Blizzard shut them down.

nonewmsgs
June 7th, 2007, 03:30 AM
The most important thing is not to replicate the game too closely. For example, the devs of FreeCraft basically made a copy of Warcraft II and lthough the art, sound and engine were completely original, they represented the exact same things as the original game (you could even use the same maps). Blizzard shut them down.

i respect blizzard a lot. they have the highest reputation among all game developers and anyone can feel safe picking up a game off the shelf if it has their logo, but dammit that sucks. it pisses me off that they can refuse to make games for linux and then kill any attempt that is too close.

Ireclan
June 7th, 2007, 06:25 PM
This project, though certainly not easy, might not be too difficult either. You can use the Free engine Stratagus, http://www.boswars.org/screenshots.shtml, basically the same gameplay as Age of Empires I or II, and and pre-rendered 3D sprites for the units (as in Age of Epires I and II).

I am no good at character animation, but I could make a few building sprites. Here's a small house sprite (http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/5170/hutxl6.png) I made for a game we were once working on. Making 3D characters is quite difficult if you insist on using Free software like Blender. One option would be to use the Windows-only program Poser to create pre-rendered characters. This can be done quite easily.

Or, of course, you could go against the style of the original game and use pixel-art style 2D sprites. The advantage of this is that you can easily create very different kinds of units, and manage large-scale battles (since the units are smaller in size). For example,

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/6638/unitsmq2.png

Could you please tell me HOW Blizzard shut them down? Did they just send a "cease and desist" type order, or was their an actual trial where a judge ruled against them? Then again, I suppose the goal of this project, should it ever be attempted, would be to AVOID going to trial, but with it being a Microsoft game that would be cloned, I suppose that just wouldn't be an option.

I wasn't aware that the game Age of Empires I used anything 3D except for 3D space- I thought all the models WERE 2D.

IYY
June 7th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Could you please tell me HOW Blizzard shut them down? Did they just send a "cease and desist" type order, or was their an actual trial where a judge ruled against them? Then again, I suppose the goal of this project, should it ever be attempted, would be to AVOID going to trial, but with it being a Microsoft game that would be cloned, I suppose that just wouldn't be an option.

I wasn't aware that the game Age of Empires I used anything 3D except for 3D space- I thought all the models WERE 2D.

Cease and desist letter, on June 2003. The project was called FreeCraft.

Age of Empires had no actual 3D in it at all, but everything was pre-rendered. Basically, 3D models were made and then rendered to 2D sprites that were used in the game (unlike games like Warcraft II where everything was drawn).

karellen
June 7th, 2007, 07:02 PM
i respect blizzard a lot. they have the highest reputation among all game developers and anyone can feel safe picking up a game off the shelf if it has their logo, but dammit that sucks. it pisses me off that they can refuse to make games for linux and then kill any attempt that is too close.

why would they make games for linux when linux has a market share of 1% and besides this not even all linux users are interested in games?...

jgrabham
June 7th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I'd certainly play it (well, if I can get module-assistant working again to get 3d acceleration...)

Age of Empires was an amazing game. Simple, and it worked on almost any hardware; even an old windows 95 computer.

I have the disk that says "designed for windows 95" on it (even though I got it free with a 98 pc)

mehaga
January 17th, 2009, 12:22 PM
First, I appologize for bringing this old thread back to life (TM).
I can't believe I haven't seen this before.
I just wanted to say that OP and I share this dream and, unfortunately, have the same (lack of) skills :) My dream, however, refuses to die and it seems I will have to try to do something about it. I can code, but I never took part in coding a game before (few attempts at some simple java mobile games don't count).
Anyhow, if OP, or anyone else, is willing to provide guidance, artwork etc. email me at vekaz AT yahoo DOT com, please.

bmc6053
December 24th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I was wondering if anyone started working on this? I also think it would be awsome, not to memorry attensive so it could be played on one desktop and another be used for "work" :D

I always loved the AOE series.

Tibuda
December 24th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I was wondering if anyone started working on this? I also think it would be awsome, not to memorry attensive so it could be played on one desktop and another be used for "work" :D

I always loved the AOE series.

what a necropost.

keep an eye on this game development: http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/

bmc6053
December 24th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Yeah, didn't see another post (got here from google lol). Game is looking good (especially the art!).