PDA

View Full Version : What sort of Ubuntu advocacy do you practice?

Cheese Sandwich
June 6th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Mine is mostly of the passive sort:

- I sport an Ubuntu bumper sticker on my car (dead center on the bumper, no other stickers to distract),
- I have "Free as in freedom, free as in beer: www.ubuntu.com" as the signature on my outgoing yahoo mails,
- I have :

http://www.ubuntu.com/themes/ubuntu07/images/ubuntulogo.png (http://www.ubuntu.com)

as my signature on another forum that I frequent.

As active advocacy, I've plugged the OS to a few friends & family.

karellen
June 6th, 2007, 07:09 PM
- I give ubuntu cds to all my friends
- I have two ubuntu stickers, one on my monitor and one on my central unit

Nonno Bassotto
June 6th, 2007, 07:13 PM
None.

starcraft.man
June 6th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I really don't do that much, mostly just rather tame/low key mention in conversation. I do make and give friends the CDs if they are interested and ask me to, as well as help em and point them here for further help. I really think we get a bad image from a select few...

I am thinking of getting stickers for my computers and other things in future. I don't think thats anything special though since Windows gets free stickers on all PCs I've ever seen.

Rightmantrigger
June 6th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Well I just started using Ubuntu. I used to promote Linux religiously to everybody I knew.

Sunflower1970
June 6th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Passive. I have a bumpersticker pinned to one of my walls at work, an Ubuntu coffee mug, and then I do have a little stuffed Tux penguin sitting up on my monitor along with my other cute little stuffed beings. (a yellow M&M, a monster character from the Disney movie, and a stuffed fish)

When asked, I tell people about it. A few times I've brought my laptop to work (usually to use at lunch time, or on my breaks). At least two people are very interested in it. One looked at buying a new Dell with Ubuntu on it, but decided to download an .iso instead and test it out on an old computer at home.

use a name
June 6th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I show how happy I am with Ubuntu. :popcorn:

And, when appropriate, I mention linux/Ubuntu as an option.

ThinkBuntu
June 6th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I don't promote Ubuntu solely. Rather, depending on who I'm persuading to switch to Linux, I'll recommend a different distro.

Geeky? Arch
Old OS 9 user? Ubuntu
Windows user? PCLOS, openSuSE, or MEPIS
Legacy hardware? Zenwalk
Novice computer user, usually on Windows? Linux Mint
Knowledgable OSX user or IT person? Debian or Arch.

LaRoza
June 6th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I try to be useful when advocating, staying away from philosophy unless the other mentions it. The best way to advocate Ubuntu, and such programs, is to use it and help other people with it. I always think "What can the other person get out of this?", before talking.

esavato
June 6th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I provide linux training to all the people at my work, hand out CD's of every new distro and have switched over two or three computers for other people to Ubuntu. I also participate in these forums...

Rui Pais
June 6th, 2007, 08:12 PM
i tend to finish others words...

- so you don't use windows? what do you use then?
- I use Linux. A version (me translate distro for windowish) named Ubuntu.
- Uwhat
- Ubuntu.
- Ubut...
- Ubuntu.
- Ahhh...

forrestcupp
June 6th, 2007, 08:17 PM
I use the drill sergeant effect. Make them feel like a sleezy, worthless, scummy worm for using software that is causing global warming. Rip their head off for their proprietary immorality, then tell them if they ever want to amount to anything more than a mamma's boy, they need to erase their hard drive and install Linux. Repeat daily until they install Linux just to shut me up.

For hard cases, I just wait until they are asleep, and do it for them.

I know a lot of people. I am a busy person.

PartisanEntity
June 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I have a 'powered by ubuntu' sticker on my laptop. I just received a batch of 10 Ubuntu CD's which I will hand out to friends. I mentioned Ubuntu to friends and relatives, my brother and a friend ended up trying it out, my brother went back to XP, the other friend has remained with Ubuntu and I maintain the laptop for her.

If and when the topics of operating systems and software issues arises I will mention Linux, Ubuntu and open source software (if I am aware of a good alternative to closed source software).

I do not make a point of advocating Linux though. It's not a mission in life for me. But I will advocate it when suitable as I believe it is natural and normal to tell our friends and loved ones about something we think is good or better, whether it's an operating system, a brand of underwear or a great vacation spot :)

visionaire
June 6th, 2007, 08:24 PM
i have a sticker on my PC and another on my car, and of course, using it in front of people which always ask "What is your windows" lol

DJ Wings
June 6th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I help people out that want to use Linux. I'm planning on getting some stickers for my new laptop.

Rui Pais
June 6th, 2007, 08:33 PM
i have a sticker on my PC and another on my car, and of course, using it in front of people which always ask "What is your windows" lol

Thats a tricky question... be careful! they want to know what your windows is to enter there at night and steal all beer (as in free beer) from your fridge.
Malicious people!

Mark Martin
June 6th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I let people know that there is an alternative besides windows!

visionaire
June 6th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Thats a tricky question... be careful! they want to know what your windows is to enter there at night and steal all beer (as in free beer) from your fridge.
Malicious people!

hahhaa, girls allowed lol

BLTicklemonster
September 29th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I used to be really really careful about telling people about ubuntu, because of the chance that they'd be locked out of X when they did an upgrade. But since the fail safe system was set in place, and you can actually get back to your desktop and do stuff now. (totally awesome that they did this. THE NUMBER ONE BEST THING THEY COULD HAVE DONE TO IMPROVE UBUNTU, IMHO)

So I'm spreading the word. I'm thinking of making some copies of the install cd once Gutsy goes bigtime, then taking them around places with printed documentation explaining what is going on, how to run the live cd, how to figure out exactly what is going on when you install as far as what partition you want, how to decide what to do and all, and of course tell them about this forum.

I'm not kidding, the fail safe makes me way more confident that I can share ubuntu and not have people call me every two weeks or so asking me why they have a black screen and white letters. That was my main stumbling block to getting people to come close to Ubuntu. Face it, most people think the monitor is the computer, and they think that windows is what a computer is. They don't understand that the tower is the computer, that it's just hardware, and that you can use different software to make it run. (heck most of them don't even understand the difference between hardware and software.)

I know several IT professionals (woo hoo, a microsoft certified genius) who freak if you mention Linux around them. These goons make over twice what I make (thrice even, eh?), and it's like they're stuck eating baloney sandwiches, and I mention corned beef, and it messed them up that you can actually put something different between the slices of bread. I know not all IT pros are like that, but the mere fact that there are so many around here just blows my mind. IMO, microsoft trains those morons to administer systems in such a way as to keep microsoft exploits from running rampant over their systems. ... think about it. Why not embrace an operating system where you can let your people alone to do what they want because you know they will not get viruses, et al, and not install warez? Aren't those the two major problems (besides security, which point is moot in the first place?)

Oh, and the free part of it ought to appeal to most bosses, but the IT guys have them so snowed, it's pathetic. And why is this? Most bosses think the monitor is the computer. And they make more than the IT guys!

TomMK
September 29th, 2007, 06:56 PM
It's an interesting question. I don't know how much to push ubuntu. Case in point - my aunt owns an old compaq pc which they've asked me to 'fix' because its windows installation is old and slow. And I don't know whether I should install xp or ubuntu. Would I turn ubuntu's automatic updates on and risk something breaking itself, or leave them off and risk it becoming vunerable? It only gets 18 months of updates anyway, and I don't want them having to upgrade it themselves. What if they come up against some compatability problems in future because they don't know that "linux" is not the same as "windows". Its a tricky one.

faraaz
September 29th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I am pretty good with computers and stuff, so I fix a lot of my friends' computers when they crash and whatever. One thing however never fails to hook them in...

Me - "You realise that this would never have happened if you were running Linux? Viruses don't work on that thing..."

Friend - "Whoa, really? How is that possible? Isn't it really hard?"

Me - "Linux is different from Windows, so stuff from Windows doesn't work on Linux. Simple as that...and as for how hard it is, meh...try this Live CD out and tell me what you think..."

5 mins later, Friend - "Dude, is this windows?? The menus are all funny..."

Me - "Nah, that's Linux..."

Friend - "Whoa!"

bigbrovar
September 29th, 2007, 08:16 PM
mehn i do a lot... first off i started a loco group and i got over 80 empty dvds in which i burn the ubuntu installation dvd and i then made an apt dvd that has all the packages installed on my system including codecs,multimedia players,and many other cool stuff for people without internet...then i made a blog for people who want to get the basic about ubuntu and for my loco group its here www.ubuntunigeria.wordpress.com i also post screenshot of ubuntu on a forum on a popular nigerian forum ..and my signature there is "have u heard of ubuntu ? check here www.ubuntunigeria.wordpress.com .my ultimate plan is to run a local shipit program run and financed by me and some friends where ubuntu ubuntu ultimate 1.4 or the ubuntu dvd plus an apt cd would be shipped to any one who request if as long as that person is in nigeria.. this month an working on a proposal which i will give to small businesses around my town on how ubuntu is more cost effective to use than windows..i can go on and on .. but one thing is that i go out of my way to promote ubuntu..it something i take very personal .to my heart.

TeraDyne
September 29th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I do very little pushing of (K)Ubuntu beyond "Here, if you want to try something other than Windows, use this CD or go to www.kubuntu.com, download the CD image and burn your own copy. If you want to see how it looks, come see my desktop or laptop.". I talk about it on my blog and site, but that's not really pushing it towards people...

KIAaze
September 29th, 2007, 10:21 PM
It's an interesting question. I don't know how much to push ubuntu. Case in point - my aunt owns an old compaq pc which they've asked me to 'fix' because its windows installation is old and slow. And I don't know whether I should install xp or ubuntu. Would I turn ubuntu's automatic updates on and risk something breaking itself, or leave them off and risk it becoming vunerable? It only gets 18 months of updates anyway, and I don't want them having to upgrade it themselves. What if they come up against some compatability problems in future because they don't know that "linux" is not the same as "windows". Its a tricky one.

My suggestion:
1)OS choice:
Install Ubuntu. If you think they can deal with a dual-boot, set up a dual-boot (with unlimited timeout for choosing if necessary and boot without password).

2)updating: three options:
-If you see your aunt regularly (every few months or less), don't use automatic updates. Do the updates when you visit her.
-Allow external ssh connections (ok, may be unsafe...) and connect to her PC per ssh to update it.
-Use automatic updates, but lock packages whose updates might cause problems: stuff related to the X server, DRI or drivers (ex: xserver-xorg-video-ati :roll: ), etc. Or lock all packages and only allow security related updates.

In any case, don't give her root permissions. This already makes things a lot safer.

How I advocate/support Ubuntu/Free software:
I don't exclusively advocate Ubuntu. I advocate Free open-source software. But I generally recommend Ubuntu for newbies. ;)

passive:
-Use it.
-Forum signatures

active:
-If somebody shows interest, help him install it (hasn't happened yet) or send info (*).
-Buy games for GNU/Linux (only bought one so far (proprietary :roll:))
-Support & develop Free software/games :)
-Support projects like http://www.gnulinuxmatters.org/
-Buy a Dell PC with Ubuntu (Not done yet, but hopefully soon. I'm tired of my ATI problems anyway.)
-Beta-testing/bug reports

(*)My info selection:

General:
http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/
http://www.getgnulinux.org/
http://makethemove.net/

Freedom:
Free software, free society (http://www.gnu.org/doc/TOC-FSFS.html)
The right to read (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html)

Along with lots of tutorial links (psychocats) and a list of all the different possibilities: Live CD, USB key, dual-boot, WuBi, Virtualization.

scruff
September 29th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I simply tell everyone how easy to use and install this distro is. I've used Liinux exclusively since '01 or so, starting with Slackware, then shortly after I started running Gentoo (awesome distro btw). These days I am too busy to tinker around with making everything work like I used to. I still enjoy it, just don't have the time.

Ubuntu installed on my work x60 perfectly and everything pretty well worked out of the box. We do all our development on Linux (redhat 9), but we still run a primarily Windows shop. I was able to get this laptop to run everything I need (most importantly, Evolution for Exchange service) so that I barely every need to boot to Windows at the office anymore. People are impressed and beginning to follow::):):)

stalker145
September 29th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Me? I seem to be tech support for everyone around me since I tend to talk about computers in the general sense. When I get complaints about viruses and other miscellaneous problems, I mention that I am using Linux and I don't have any of those problems.

From there, I talk about the good and the bad of using Linux as it applies to whomever I am talking to.

I had two guys wipe their Windows partitions while I was on Duty one night (even though I told them specifically to only run the Live CD) and they've stuck with it thus far... probably because they don't know how to reinstall Windows... LOL

Soooo, I guess you could say I'm bipolar... Active and passive depending.

TomMK
September 30th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Going back to my aunt's computer - I don't think I should install Ubuntu in a totally non-technical household that I'm not around to help (I don't live in the same city). Should anything go wrong, it would be my "fault" (for introducing this software without them specifically requesting it) and I wouldn't be there to fix it.

I don't think Ubuntu (or any operating system) is ever going to be without a learning curve. So I guess I would only recommend Ubuntu to those where I can be called on should they need assistance. I don't think it's fair to turn up, put Ubuntu in place, and leave. So, whether to advocate Ubuntu or not - if you're going to push Ubuntu, you should be able to follow up on it.

passive:
-Use it.

^^^ The best way.

Vadi
October 6th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Passive, but when a person is clearly unhappy with their current OS, and doesn't know of alternatives, I point them out to them... today I sold a dell ubuntu like that :/

Celegorm
October 6th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Right after I first started using linux, it was hard not to promote it actively, but the initial excitement did eventually wear off. I really love linux (to the point where I could easily talk anyone's ears off about it if they get me started), so I try to be careful not to be pushy about it because that might be more counter-productive than beneficial. I do however give linux cd's to any of my friends that express even the slightest interest, and I have a handful of ubuntu/linux shirts that I like to wear around. Also anytime anyone is having trouble with linux I do my best to help.

dfreer
October 6th, 2007, 05:57 AM
meh, I sacrifice kittens on a candle-lit pagan altar every fortnight or so, to appease the almighty Tux.

That's how I advocate linux.

iPower
October 6th, 2007, 11:35 AM
none

marco123
October 6th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I'm the most annoying kind: a recent switcher (April this year.), so I'm still so hyped about being free that I tend to be rather vocal.:)

I just love to tell people how my box needs no maintenance anymore, and tend to laugh at their windows problems now and advise them to switch rather than spend hours over their house trying to sort their PCs out like I used to.

n3tfury
October 6th, 2007, 12:44 PM
a little here and there. ubuntu and/or linux is not the be-all-end-all, so i don't claim it as such.

Lord Illidan
October 6th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Right after I first started using linux, it was hard not to promote it actively, but the initial excitement did eventually wear off. I really love linux (to the point where I could easily talk anyone's ears off about it if they get me started), so I try to be careful not to be pushy about it because that might be more counter-productive than beneficial. I do however give linux cd's to any of my friends that express even the slightest interest, and I have a handful of ubuntu/linux shirts that I like to wear around. Also anytime anyone is having trouble with linux I do my best to help.

I was like that too! Nowadays, however, I'm more of the type to advocate it if the user is asking for it. But I can still talk a hindleg off a donkey about freesoftware and Linux :P

eljoeb
October 6th, 2007, 12:51 PM
None. Once you start, you can easily go overboard and alienate people.

NilsHG
October 6th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I am running Feisty on my notebook. Recently a fellow student asked me if I had the new Vista installed. She made me laugh. I told her it was Ubuntu Linux, showed her the eyecandy (compiz fusion stuff) and expressed how Ubuntu serves all my needs, works flawless with my hardware, that I do not need to worry about security and that it is free of charge.
She was surprised by what "Linux" can do nowdays. Her stereotype prejudice was that Linux is crappy and complicated. She thanked me for proving her wrong.

In short: When i am asked about Linux, I share my experience and do promote it.

Lord Illidan
October 6th, 2007, 12:53 PM
None. Once you start, you can easily go overboard and alienate people.

That's true. You have to put limits on yourself, sometimes.

I am running Feisty on my notebook. Recently a fellow student asked me if I had the new Vista installed. She made me laugh. I told her it was Ubuntu Linux, showed her the eyecandy (compiz fusion stuff) and expressed how Ubuntu serves all my needs, works flawless with my hardware, that I do not need to worry about security and that it is free of charge.
She was surprised by what "Linux" can do nowdays. Her stereotype prejudice was that Linux is crappy and complicated. She thanked me for proving her wrong.

In short: When i am asked about Linux, I share my experience and do promote it.

Also, true. Some people have the impression that Linux is CLI only...