PDA

View Full Version : Will Gstreamer ever catch Xine?

jsmidt
June 6th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Every once in a while I get movies which only play correctly with totem-xine, not with totem -gstreamer. Will this always be the case, or will gstreamer ever catch xine?

steeleyuk
June 6th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I just wish that DVD playback worked as well in Gstreamer as it does in xine (menus etc). Maybe your problems will be fixed in the next version of Gstreamer, whenever that is.

jsmidt
June 6th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Does anybody know when the next major release of gstreamer will happen and whet the changes will be?

Erunno
June 6th, 2007, 05:52 PM
A quick Google search for gstreamer 0.12 hasn't brought up anything about an upcoming release.

Lord Illidan
June 6th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Can I know something? Why insist on using gstreamer and not xine?

Erunno
June 6th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Or do it like KDE and introduce an abstraction layer (Phonon) which let's the user decide which backend to use.

racoq
June 6th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Can I know something? Why insist on using gstreamer and not xine?

Whish we knew...
It is in my oppinion a mistake. I have tested many players, and the one that satisfy my needs in terms of performance / quality, is Xine-UI interface, using the xine engine.

Shouldn't we promote stability? Xine engine is rock solid.

I have tested both tottem-gstreamer, and mplayer, and both performance sucked in my P3, where Xine (Xine-UI) was quite smooth.

I can suggest those who use tottem, install the tottem-xine package (uses the xine engine) , never tried it but it can help some users with problems

Nonno Bassotto
June 6th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Totem + gStreamer works perfectly for me, except for rm files.

steeleyuk
June 6th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I personally prefer Totem and the Xine backend. Never fails. :p

Engnome
June 6th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Every once in a while I get movies which only play correctly with totem-xine, not with totem -gstreamer. Will this always be the case, or will gstreamer ever catch xine?

What observations besides this have you done to conclude that gstreamer is inferior to xine? If you are mostly using gstreamer you can't tell if the reverse is true, maybe there are files that won't work in xine?

Lord Illidan
June 6th, 2007, 08:18 PM
What observations besides this have you done to conclude that gstreamer is inferior to xine? If you are mostly using gstreamer you can't tell if the reverse is true, maybe there are files that won't work in xine?

Totem-gstreamer does't work as well as xine for playing DVDs or online videos...

jsmidt
June 6th, 2007, 08:26 PM

I wish I had examples of something that doesn't work with xine but does with gstreamer. I have never had problems with xine, but have had problems with gstreamer. In this way I feel gstreamer is inferior. I would like something that "Just Works." That's all.

However, if Ubuntu wants to default with gstreamer I would like to know when gstreamer will be as effective as xine.

Engnome
June 6th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I wish I had examples of something that doesn't work with xine but does with gstreamer. I have never had problems with xine, but have had problems with gstreamer. In this way I feel gstreamer is inferior. I would like something that "Just Works." That's all.

However, if Ubuntu wants to default with gstreamer I would like to know when gstreamer will be as effective as xine.

Ok, well I use neither so I just wanted to know.

Ireclan
June 6th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I personally use Totem-GStreamer....Mainly because it was the default. I installed every friggen plug in I could find, and never got it to play FLV files...

As for if Xine or GStreamer is better, I have no clue....Anyone care to weigh in with some hard solid evidence one way or the other?

Lord Illidan
June 6th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I personally use Totem-GStreamer....Mainly because it was the default. I installed every friggen plug in I could find, and never got it to play FLV files...

As for if Xine or GStreamer is better, I have no clue....Anyone care to weigh in with some hard solid evidence one way or the other?

Vlc can play flv files fine..so can mplayer..