PDA

View Full Version : Konqueror vs. Firefox

ThinkBuntu
June 6th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Which do you prefer as a web browser? What features are your favorites of each (as a web browser)? In OSX, I always used Safari, which originally was based on the Konqueror engine. At the time, Apple claimed Konqueror to be 1/10 the size of other browsers (http://dot.kde.org/1041971213/), so I think it may be a good, albeit overlooked alternative. Granted, this was in 2003 when the Mozilla engine was strong, but before Firefox's heyday.

mips
June 6th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I find myself using Konq more and more everyday.

I just wish it had a search bar (ctrl+F) like firefox instead of that annoying popup window that gets in my way.

ThinkBuntu
June 6th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I find myself using Konq more and more everyday.

I just wish it had a search bar (ctrl+F) like firefox instead of that annoying popup window that gets in my way.
I couldn't stand before how GMail blocked me from the Ajax version because my browser is "unsupported" when using Konqueror...as if Konqueror doesn't have Ajax implemented. But I access webmail completely via Thunderbird, deleting the messages from the server as I download them, so I don't really care whether or not they support Konqueror now.

mijj
June 6th, 2007, 02:09 PM
konk is useful in that you can drag a link straight into a kde folder or desktop.

and... you can also save a full webpage mht style (which add-on firefox doesnt have in the linux version).

GeneralZod
June 6th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I couldn't stand before how GMail blocked me from the Ajax version because my browser is "unsupported" when using Konqueror...as if Konqueror doesn't have Ajax implemented. But I access webmail completely via Thunderbird, deleting the messages from the server as I download them, so I don't really care whether or not they support Konqueror now.

You could have fixed this just by switching the user agent to Firefox, although GMail broke this very recently (followed by a rapid patch from the khtml guys :)).

I use Konqueror exclusively nowadays, though it's not without its flaws: the cache-handling is retarded (refreshing the page downloads *every single image* again, which is hugely inefficient and a real pain on dial-up), and the gif handling seems to be about an order of magnitude more CPU-intensive than Firefox. Apart from those, though, no real complaints from me, and I don't miss Fx - the great integration with the rest of KDE is worth more to me :)

mips
June 6th, 2007, 02:20 PM
You could have fixed this just by switching the user agent to Firefox, although GMail broke this very recently (followed by a rapid patch from the khtml guys :)).

I was just about to say the same thing.

DigitalDuality
June 6th, 2007, 02:38 PM
d

brim4brim
June 6th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I think Firefox beats it because its more intuitive to use (or else I'm just used to it). I use Opera on Windows which I think is great on Windows (loads faster than Firefox but isn't IE).

the_darkside_986
June 6th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I only use Konqueror when I'm in my KDE desktop on FreeBSD. It's a decent browser but many times pages look funny and aren't displayed too well. But that is probably the fault of the webpage designer for not using w3c standards.

DigitalDuality
June 6th, 2007, 03:04 PM
d

DigitalDuality
June 6th, 2007, 03:05 PM
d

starcraft.man
June 6th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Why must we have these comparison threads of browsers all the time, and why do they always target firefox to x? To each his own no? Isn't it just easier that way?

I use Firefox. Honestly, I just haven't found a reason to want another browser. I have found the nicest theme I ever had (Noia, (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/72) love it :)). It has the best extension base of any, if I want some specific feature I go to the site and 9 times out of 10 I'll find it easy. Lastly, I just haven't seen any noticeable slowdown in it since I started using it in early 1.5. Maybe I'm blind/unaware, honestly, if I haven't noticed it, its not likely to be much if any. I gladly give up a second at startup for my experience with it.

ThinkBuntu
June 6th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Why must we have these comparison threads of browsers all the time, and why do they always target firefox to x? To each his own no? Isn't it just easier that way?
Of course to each his own. This is the Community Cafe, after all, and there's no harm in asking questions that certain users may find to be trivial.

Blowfly
June 19th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I'll never know which I like better because I've had no success in getting Konqueror to recognize my wireless Internet connection.

Which is something that you would have thought the Konqueror developers would have written into the software. :roll:

mips
June 19th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I'll never know which I like better because I've had no success in getting Konqueror to recognize my wireless Internet connection.

Which is something that you would have thought the Konqueror developers would have written into the software. :roll:

Huh ? That makes no sense to me, care to elaborate ?

igknighted
June 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Which do you prefer as a web browser? What features are your favorites of each (as a web browser)? In OSX, I always used Safari, which originally was based on the Konqueror engine. At the time, Apple claimed Konqueror to be 1/10 the size of other browsers (http://dot.kde.org/1041971213/), so I think it may be a good, albeit overlooked alternative. Granted, this was in 2003 when the Mozilla engine was strong, but before Firefox's heyday.

I use konqueror, but only because I use KDE. The 1/10th claim is only because of shared libraries in KDE, so its a little misleading, but none the less, Konqueror is an amazing piece of software.

walkerk
June 19th, 2007, 07:00 PM
heh.. opera i think is better on Linux than firefox. I use FF exclusively on windows. I love it.

But all their linux builds...be it from a distro.. or downloaded right from Mozilla.. with all the tweaks to about:config in the world.. is sluggish. It's slow to open, it's slow to render pages, it uses to much memory.

to get the search bar in firefox w/ fedora you should check out the firefox config. just type 'about:config' and press go

ThinkBuntu
June 19th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I really enjoy Epiphany now that I understand its way of doing things. There are a couple annoyances, but Firefox slows down my fairly decent system significantly.

init1
June 20th, 2007, 04:05 AM
KDE apps take to long to load if I'm not in KDE, so I use firefox. Dillo is nice if I need something fast.

Nordoelum
June 22nd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Firefox any day of the week. Konqueror suck on my PC. Can't even manage to connect to internet, Firefox works just fine..