PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you're feeling down?

the.dark.lord
June 6th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Well?

use a name
June 6th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Usually I spend a whole lot of time reading forums like this one till it's way past bedtime. Then I'm tired enough to fall asleep in no time. The next day I'm tired anyway and that makes me down usually.
Yesterday I cut this pattern and went to bed early. Much better, but that only works if there really isn't anything to worry about.

Walking or fixing things around the house works for me too, usually.

the.dark.lord
June 6th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I'm a feeling a bit down because most people I meet at college are a bit boring, they think the same old things, their ideas never differs, they just blindly follow trends like sheep. Can anyone understand that?

diskotek
June 6th, 2007, 12:09 PM
for last 6 months, i'm sufing around ubuntucafe :D
walking with a music (that disable to hear your own voice)
meeting with useless friends.. (tested)

Jergar
June 6th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I have a DVD "Eric Clapton - Live in Hyde park"

Regards
Jergar

fuscia
June 6th, 2007, 12:29 PM
i simply remember my favorite things and then i don't feel so bad.

ThinkBuntu
June 6th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Here are my favorites...in descending order. All do the trick well.

Make sweet love to my ladyfriend...that tends to lift the mood :^)
Brood and infuse myself with unhealthy amounts of coffee
Get blazed with friends. If alone, get blazed and fiddle with my Linux box.
Walk over to my local court and shoot around (basketball)
Ride my bike somewhere
Drive very far until I feel relaxed enough to come back. Farthest I've gotten was southwest Philly, or about two and a half to three hours away.

loell
June 6th, 2007, 01:31 PM
i pray.

OffHand
June 6th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Last time I answered this question my post was moved to jail :S

notquitemichael
June 6th, 2007, 01:40 PM
ben and jerry's and a bottle of bailys.

- very manly i know.

BobLand
June 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM
buproprion
meditation
blanking your mind
dwell on nothingness
vigorous exercise
walk in the woods, by the ocean, any place the air smells fresh
contemplate infinity atop a mountain on a clear night
work with your hands - draw, sculpt, photography, wood, metal, play in a band
don't be inactive

when you're down, realize it is temporary.
if this is persistent, seek medical help. there are drugs that can help.

ghandi69_
June 6th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Listen to some Rap music, such as Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, etc.. and make sure to sing along if you know the words.

Usually, the Lyrics in Rap songs are full of self complimenting phrases, as well as apathy towards anything that might get you down.

Rap gets a bad reputation, but I do think it has its place sometimes.

Whatever you do, don't listen to country.

For example... Rap song's take on a girl dumping you...

"Screw that bi*$h, I can go out and find 10 others with bigger *****"

Country song's take on a girl dumping you...

"I'll forever be lonely and thinking of you, til I pass away, I'll die lonely.. blah blah blah"

mrgnash
June 6th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I feel down most of the time, and often have to fight the onset of major depressive episodes, and I've found that the most effective countermeasure is simply activity -- the more preoccupying the better. But if something is really troubling you, don't try to simply suppress or bury it, as this can lead to complications down the line; rather, set aside some time in a relaxing place (preferably not in your house/room) and indulge the negative thoughts for a set period of time, always making sure to put them in the proper context rather than letting them grow out of proportion. When the time you have alloted yourself has expired, resolve to do take leave of the negative thoughts, and then turn your attention to a mentally demanding activity of some sort. In order for this to be an effective strategy, you have to practice at it, but I find that it works fairly well when dealing with the more everday slumps; not so much with the major depressive episodes.

ThinkBuntu
June 6th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I can never really get down, as in depression, because whenever I seriously set the wheels in my mind turning, it becomes quickly apparent how trivial the thing bothering me really is. I'm also generally optimistic because I've been able to handle what life's thrown at me (lets just say lemons...and incarceration) quite well to this point, and I see no reason for that to change. The only thing that could get me down for a long time, I suppose, would be how trivial most things are anyway. But I put this out of my mind, so no worries!

Bavo
June 6th, 2007, 03:30 PM
go to bed early and get some sleep, it usually helps

justin whitaker
June 6th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Funny, my doctor says that I am probably clinically depressed. I haven't seen the Psych consult yet, but I'm going to. Hello mind altering drugs!

What I actually do when I am feeling down, like I have the past couple of days is the following:

1. See if the wife is willing, if you catch my drift. Bum chicka wow wow. ;)
2. Work out. Nothing like freeweights to clear the mind. Spin classes also work.
3. Meditate/Yoga.
4. Counterstrike: Source. Reach out and frag someone.

In the past:
5. Binge on whatever I craved at the moment, which usually meant downing a pint of Ben & Jerrys. Not very healthy, and it makes you even more depressed.

Papi-KB7VGW
June 6th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Over the years I have learned to use any/all of the following

1 Find a way to stay busy doing something you consider fun.
2 Stop worrying about that which you have no control over.
3 Listen to the Moody Blues and the Who (Yeah I'm that old)
4 Spend some time checking out the clouds.

I'm sure there are others, but mainly do something to get you endorphins going...

zAo
June 6th, 2007, 03:55 PM
"Roll up a joint and start paffing away" [Pulp Fiction] :)

Nah, I sit down on a Fayboy and listen to music.

Lucifiel
June 6th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Eat tons of chocolate! :D

Although, once I went overboard and consumed like 2.5 pounds(abt 1kg and around 90 pieces of tiny to medium-sized chocolates) within 10 days. :redface: Well, of course I fell really sick after that.

And for a few months, I couldn't bear to hear the word "chocolate" or taste any chocolate. :p

After that, I've been a lot more moderate when consuming chocolate and make sure to stop after a few pieces. :p

Oh and blast music! :) Depending on my mood, rock/heavy metal, etc., etc. works. :)

Let me see and what else? Reading books or reading stuff in general. :)

jrusso2
June 6th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I have found some Ice Cream to work well in these situations.

xpod
June 6th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Ask the wife if i can get back up;)

EDIT:I dont do "feeling down".....lifes too short for worrying about s**t.

FuturePilot
June 6th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Have a rave

ThinkBuntu
June 6th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Ask the wife if i can get back up;)

EDIT:I dont do "feeling down".....lifes too short for worrying about s**t.
Feel that, all you sad people here.

Wartooth
June 6th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Crank up Blind Guardian and go through the house conquering things and singing along with my fist in the air, wander about outside, all manner of things, really.

Too much to do to be blah for too long.

Henry Rayker
June 6th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I used to have a serious problem with this. The relationships I made in high school (aside from 5 or 6 exceptions) were entirely pointless and depressing. I suffered through some fairly serious depressive issues, was recommended to therapists etc. by school nurses/staff/doctors, but never went; I was too proud. I learned to deal with it by immersing myself in things that I personally enjoy. I found pleasure in isolation and would just start walking or find a nice place outside to sit. Find a nice big rock, lay down and listen to the birds or the wind or whatever.

the.dark.lord
June 6th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I used to have a serious problem with this. The relationships I made in high school (aside from 5 or 6 exceptions) were entirely pointless and depressing. I suffered through some fairly serious depressive issues, was recommended to therapists etc. by school nurses/staff/doctors, but never went; I was too proud. I learned to deal with it by immersing myself in things that I personally enjoy. I found pleasure in isolation and would just start walking or find a nice place outside to sit. Find a nice big rock, lay down and listen to the birds or the wind or whatever.

Same here, I have only a few good friends, though I was never depressed much. I'm hopelessly optimistic usually :), life's so much better this way. I really enjoyed high school - at first I was kinda isolated- with my pals. Uniqueness is something most people badly need, instead of following trends. The majority is sadly boring :(

shen-an-doah
June 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I've always found writing helps me. I write a lot of lyrics and sometimes poetry and prose. I've found that writing helps me organise my thoughts properly and decide how I really feel. It also allows me to kind of put the feelings outside of myself and stop them eating me up inside. Also, it can make you feel better if in the end you've produced something you're really proud of...

malspa
June 6th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I get up and do something. Do some work, clean something, anything.

ThinkBuntu
June 6th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I get up and do something. Do some work, clean something, anything.
Quick. Without looking it up...what are Jupiter's four largest moons, in order?

malspa
June 6th, 2007, 06:32 PM
ganymede
callisto
io
europa

by diameter

I cheated and looked it up.

Rightmantrigger
June 6th, 2007, 06:34 PM
1. Come on different forums.
2. Talk to my online friends
3. Play soccer

ThinkBuntu
June 6th, 2007, 06:36 PM
ganymede
callisto
io
europa

by diameter

I cheated and looked it up.
Booo...

:^)

Once more, Mr. Jupiter, relative to the Earth, about how large is the Red Spot?

malspa
June 6th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Once more, Mr. Jupiter, relative to the Earth, about how large is the Red Spot?

very

malspa
June 6th, 2007, 06:41 PM
and I don't know how old the red spot is, and I don't know what the top wind speeds on Jupiter are, and I don't know the total number of known satellites

lepz
June 6th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Drink! but that just makes it worse and costs me money so I'm back where I started. :rolleyes:

ThinkBuntu
June 6th, 2007, 06:42 PM
and I don't know how old the red spot is, and I don't know what the top wind speeds on Jupiter are, and I don't know the total number of known satellites
I dunno those either. When I was a kid, I read a lot about astronomy, creatures, etc. so this stuff is ingrained in me, much the same as foreign languages stick better if you learn them when very young. The red spot is three times the size of earth...that always amazed me.

ThinkBuntu
June 6th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Drink! but that just makes it worse and costs me money so I'm back where I started. :rolleyes:
Blazing > Drinking. No long or short-term health effects...worst case scenario, you fall into a very deep sleep and wake up surprisingly refreshed. I think alcohol can be very dangerous when used carelessly, so I very often recommend my preferred alternative.

malspa
June 6th, 2007, 06:46 PM
The red spot is three times the size of earth...that always amazed me.

I would have guessed something like twelve times. I think I read that Jupiter's bigger than all the other planets combined.

troymcdavis
June 6th, 2007, 06:51 PM

ThinkBuntu
June 6th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Silly morale booster:

Wear a tie every day for a week.

Better yet, a bow tie.

Onyros
June 6th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Oh, I always drink, but the effect is generally good, as long as I don't get **** drunk.

I love working overtime throughout an entire night, while drinking a good bottle of wine, or even some Scotch down the line.

Guess I'm a Modern Drunkard ;)

Xzallion
June 6th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Well, I do many things when I am feeling down.

First I turn on some music. Usually when I'm feeling down I am a bit angry or frustrated at something, so I blare some angry music. Limp Bizkit - Break Stuff, some Slipknot, etc.

Then after getting really pumped/angry whatever and screaming along with the music, I work out or turn on a game. It will always be a First Person Shooter, be it Halo 2, Call of Duty, or Unreal tournament. After fragging for a while I either go outside and do something, or draw.

When outside, I either go for a walk, sit and just watch things, or do something physical like sparring with my buddy with bokkens (wooden training swords) or shoot some hoops. (basketball)

Then theres jamming on my guitar or violin, but I don't do those as often as the others. But it all cheers me up.

arsenic23
June 6th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I Drive.

jgrabham
June 6th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Break things - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=465150

jgrabham
June 7th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Draw intricate patterns in my skin with knives, pins, pencil sharpener blades etc

the.dark.lord
June 7th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Draw intricate patterns in my skin with knives, pins, pencil sharpener blades etc

You must have a got a bit of scars on your body then ;)

jgrabham
June 7th, 2007, 05:03 PM
You must have a got a bit of scars on your body then ;)

Nowhere visible

Onyros
June 7th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I Drive.That's a great option, too.

As long as I don't mix my first option and this one, that is :P