PDA

View Full Version : Not so sure I would want an Nvidia graphics card, even if it was free.

H.E. Pennypacker
June 6th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Lots of people talk about how great Nvidia, but I don't get the hype. As a matter of fact, it looks like Nvidia people have a hell of a hard time with everything. Just do a forum search. Every time there is an upgrade or something, an Nvidia person is crying. I don't know of a single group of people that has more problems with display than Nvidia people by the appearance of forum support questions (hmm...maybe ATI beats them in problems, but ATI doesn't even give a damn).

I am perfectly happy with my Intel card. If you gave me a top-of-the-line Nvidia card for free, I'd have to say no thanks. My resolution is set up just fine by default. I didn't have to mess around with drivers: it was already installed. I didn't have to roam the forums for answers.

I know Nvidia cards have a technical advantage over Intel cards. They are able to do things that Intel cards can't, but I don't care. As long as I can view what's on my screen, I am good. Besides, is that technical advantage really worth all the trouble, despite the "great" (as many people call them) drivers that Nvidia sprovides?

jiminycricket
June 6th, 2007, 03:54 AM
I agree with you. I have an older ATI mobility card supported by the open source drivers (like Intel's open drivers), and one supported by the nVidia closed drivers. The nVidia card is such a pain to get working correctly, with lots of glitches in compiz and beryl (sometimes no window border, black windows, etc), screen resolution/refresh rate oddities, and suspend and hibernate problems. That's why I also like Nouveau, though.

Sunflower1970
June 6th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Have two nVidia cards, and one ATI. I must have lucked out on all of them (especially under Feisty). the ATI worked without any set up and has 3D--talk about a shocker. I expected real headaches with it...the GeForce3 Ti 500 did take just a tad of work, but nothing I couldn't handle, and once Feisty came out, it now automatically updates and never breaks with a kernel upgrade, and the 7600GT, just like the ATI, has also been a dream under Feisty. No configuration at all. Although, I'm glad for the bit of problems I had with the GeForce under Edgy, because that taught me a lot about the Xorg.conf file, and how to get my hands dirty to fix something without reinstalling it.

justin whitaker
June 6th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Lots of people talk about how great Nvidia, but I don't get the hype. As a matter of fact, it looks like Nvidia people have a hell of a hard time with everything. Just do a forum search. Every time there is an upgrade or something, an Nvidia person is crying. I don't know of a single group of people that has more problems with display than Nvidia people by the appearance of forum support questions (hmm...maybe ATI beats them in problems, but ATI doesn't even give a damn).

I am perfectly happy with my Intel card. If you gave me a top-of-the-line Nvidia card for free, I'd have to say no thanks. My resolution is set up just fine by default. I didn't have to mess around with drivers: it was already installed. I didn't have to roam the forums for answers.

I know Nvidia cards have a technical advantage over Intel cards. They are able to do things that Intel cards can't, but I don't care. As long as I can view what's on my screen, I am good. Besides, is that technical advantage really worth all the trouble, despite the "great" (as many people call them) drivers that Nvidia sprovides?

You are lucky. I have a choice between the ATI 200 series onboard, or my Nvidia card. Intel doesn't figure into it.

I am a gamer though, so I need that technical advantage. I'm not running bleeding edge...I think I am 2 generations back or so. No matter, it renders crisp 3D, and Nvidia at least gives a damn about Linux and BSD users.

As long as they keep that up, they have my support.

FuturePilot
June 6th, 2007, 04:07 AM

The Nvidia people that are crying after updates most likely have installed the driver they downloaded from Nviida's website or used Envy instead of installing the driver from the repos. Then when that kernel update comes through it breaks the driver. It's actually very simple to fix. You just need to reinstall the driver or run Envy again.

I remember someone saying that when you leave the safety of the repos, it's your own fault if something breaks.

Sunflower1970
June 6th, 2007, 04:13 AM
The Nvidia people that are crying after updates most likely have installed the driver they downloaded from Nviida's website or used Envy instead of installing the driver from the repos. Then when that kernel update comes through it breaks the driver. It's actually very simple to fix. You just need to reinstall the driver or run Envy again.

That happened to me once...borked my install...Didn't happen again, because I figured out if one uninstalled the drivers from the 3rd party sources did the update, rebooted, then reinstalled the drivers, nothing got messed up, and all was good in the world :)

BLTicklemonster
June 6th, 2007, 04:40 AM
I've used ATI and Nvidia off and on, and I prefer Nvidia.

Intel onboard? Well, I'm a gamer, so fergit it.

steven8
June 6th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Nvidia is just fine. I haven't had anything else since my 2 mb onboard ATI rage. 'Course, I only use the open driver.

the_darkside_986
June 6th, 2007, 04:44 AM
The nvidia closed-source drivers work for me right now at the moment but as soon as the free 3D driver project becomes more stable I will replace it with them. Same thing with replacing Macromedia Flash with the gnash project. I can't stand proprietary software on an otherwise open system. It causes stuff to break and malfunction. If there was a 3D graphics chip that had open source drivers that I could go and buy and put in my PCI-xpress slot then I would definitely buy it and replace this stupid Nvidia 7300 GS.

Mark Martin
June 6th, 2007, 04:46 AM
I have a evga 7300 pci-e w/nvidia chipset,and it worked right away w/restricted driver.:D

DirtDawg
June 6th, 2007, 04:49 AM
I hate my Intel card. It's fine for most things, but 3D games crash crash crash. Sometimes after 30 seconds, sometimes after an hour, but always with an error about blah blah 04x000 blah blah blah." I use Dapper, so maybe (not likely) this has been repaired in Feisty.

In addition, the Intel card is mounted on the motherboard of my computer, so the only cards I can get are the PCI kind. Lame!

I would trade for a Nvidia any day of the week.

steven8
June 6th, 2007, 04:54 AM
I hate my Intel card. It's fine for most things, but 3D games crash crash crash. Sometimes after 30 seconds, sometimes after an hour, but always with an error about blah blah 04x000 blah blah blah." I use Dapper, so maybe (not likely) this has been repaired in Feisty.

In addition, the Intel card is mounted on the motherboard of my computer, so the only cards I can get are the PCI kind. Lame!

PCI is all there will be in time.

a12ctic
June 6th, 2007, 05:04 AM
To bad that intel makes **** poor products, especialy graphics cards, that perform quite poorly compared to the rest of the market. (The C2D is the first exception for about 7 years now, sense the athlons started to hand the pentiums **** to them). I refuse to buy anything from a company like intel, who practices unfair busniess practices like viral marketing, and just downright lies to gain market share they don't deserve.

FuturePilot
June 6th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Oh yeah. I forgot to mention, I've never had a problem with the Nvidia driver.
I tried to install the fglrx driver on a computer with an ati card and bam! X failed.

slimdog360
June 6th, 2007, 06:05 AM
try playing doom 3 on that intel card of yours.

DirtDawg
June 6th, 2007, 06:30 AM
PCI is all there will be in time.

Really? Would you please elaborate?

steven8
June 6th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Really? Would you please elaborate?

From a Wikipedia article on AGP:

AGP is currently being phased out in favor of PCI Express

Most motherboards do not have an AGP slot anymore.

PartisanEntity
June 6th, 2007, 09:29 AM

I remember someone saying that when you leave the safety of the repos, it's your own fault if something breaks.

Exactly, it has nothing to do with the quality of the card or the drivers. It is a case of users who may be novices but insist on using the latest drivers that aren't in the repos.

Fixing the problem is as easy as reinstalling the drivers or running Envy again after a kernel update.

I am quite happy with my Nvidia :)

brim4brim
June 6th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I have an ATI card which wasn't supported for years, in fact when I contacted ATI they told me it was Dell's job to develop Linux drivers for it because it was a laptop card. I can't recommend them as a result. It now works with the restricted drivers.

mech7
June 6th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Some of us do more then office tasks so an Intel card won't cut it ;)

prizrak
June 6th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I've had a couple of annoyances with my nVidia card but never a real problem. The black window bug is annoying and lack of power management sux but other than that nothing really. I do agree that if you don't need a whole lot of video processing power and especially if you are on a laptop Intel works just fine.

EdThaSlayer
June 6th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Not want an Nvidia graphics card?You sure are a strange one and most probably NOT a GAMER or BERYL/COMPIZ user. I have an ATI card, and you know what?ATI sucks, they make my nice graphics card which works at amazing speeds on Windows work like a slug thats coughing up smoke on my Linux partition! If you say that I have a slow graphics card, that isn't the problem, for I have an ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 with 128 mb of vram. I have tried doing a comparison, of a Geforce 2 and how many fps it can pump out through glxgears and ATI. It seems that Nvidia Geforce 2(64 mb) with their drivers got 1500 fps while my ATI Radeon 9600 got only 200 fps.Also, if you say that glxgears is not a benchmark you are partly right and wrong, having a higher fps on it does mean the graphics card is better but the fps could change depending on which game you play since most games have different rendering engines.

ianb72
June 6th, 2007, 10:32 PM

Did you know that Nvidia and ATI cards are made by the same company??

mech7
June 6th, 2007, 10:49 PM

Right and Linux is actually developed by Microsoft :)

Spike-X
June 6th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I have an nVidia GeForce 6200. I was pleasantly surprised when the latest kernel upgrade didn't break the driver I'd previously installed using Envy, and that Beryl also worked fine without tweaking the driver. this certainly wasn't the case when I was using Edgy. Glad to see things have improved.

mips
June 6th, 2007, 11:21 PM

Huh ? Please elaborate as I must have had my head in the sand for the last 10yrs of my life.

Lord Illidan
June 6th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I edited your previous post...

Lots of people talk about how great Ubuntu is but I don't get the hype. As a matter of fact, it looks like Ubuntu people have a hell of a hard time with everything. Just do a forum search. Every time there is an upgrade or something, an Ubuntu person is crying. I don't know of a single group of people that has more problems with their computer than Ubuntu people by the appearance of forum support questions (hmm...maybe Microsoft beats them in problems, but Microsoft doesn't even give a damn).

Well?

Just because more people are complaining doesn't mean that Nvidia makes bad cards. It probably means that more people have Nvidia cards. Also, it means that people don't take the trouble to read the FAQs or google..but instead open up threads all the time.

I use an NVIDIA card, and it serves me well. Intel is good, but not for gaming.

Lord Illidan
June 6th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Huh ? Please elaborate as I must have had my head in the sand for the last 10yrs of my life.

Just a joke, I think.. http://www.driverheaven.net/flame-warzone/1238-nvidia-ati-same-company.html

Mark Martin
June 7th, 2007, 10:21 PM
amd & ati merged last year for 5.6 billion.

http://http://www.firingsquad.com/features/nvidiahistory/

ahaslam
June 7th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I've never had a problem with Nvidia, it's as simple as it gets. People who do should try building their own drivers for a Via Unichrome Pro K8M800 under Xorg 6.x - now that's a real bitch.

PatrickMay16
June 8th, 2007, 03:11 PM

I've had an nvidia card for almost a year now, and I've been using the proprietary driver all of that time, using dapper. I have not had any problems apart from one or two strange X-server crashes.

ghandi69_
June 8th, 2007, 03:16 PM
My Nvidia 7600GT works fine under Dapper and Edgy... but it no longer was detected with feisty... I never was able to get it working under feisty.... So I went back to Dapper

DirtDawg
June 13th, 2007, 09:59 PM

I had to write back because I just gave the Feisty Live CD a shot and MY GRAPHICS CARD WORKS FLAWLESSLY! YES! I'm so damned excited I don't need to replace my card! I really don't feel like everything up again so I think I'll install Feisty on a separate partition and just use it for gaming.

Just thought I'd share. :D <(hooray!)

GSF1200S
June 13th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Well, I havent been too pleased with the quality of the 9755 driver, but hey, at least Nexuiz runs on max unlike trying to run it on an intel. Im sure youve seen a post or two from me with my Nvidia issues, but now I dont even have an issue anymore. New kernel image? Kill X, reinstall the driver, and a sudo reboot (dont have to, but I usually do). Pretty simple. Im anxious to try the new Nvidia driver, but I dont currently have an internet connection for the lappy.

Overall, Im glad I got a Nvidia card, and Ill be getting one for the desktop Ill buy in the future.

bastiegast
June 13th, 2007, 11:07 PM

Your comparing your own single experience to the selected experiences from thousans of other users. Like saying: Hey I never had a problem with fedora but just look at the ubuntu support forums, they are flooded with problems!

Extreme Coder
June 13th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Why nVidia cards are better than ATI cards for 3D applications and games on Linux:

Performance on nVidia driver is similat to its Windows counterparts -vs- Performance on ATI's FGLRX is NOT EVEN CLOSE. Cross platform games which work well on Windows don't work as well on Linux.

nVidia keeps all of their GeForce 2 and higher hardware updated till now -vs- ATI is on a spree to call a card unsupported after 3 seconds of its release. For example, ATI Radeon 9200 SE was discontinued long ago, while its nVidia counterpart, the GeForce FX 5200, is still well supported. And the thing is, the last driver which supported the R200 series(ATI Radeon 9200) can't be used with the latest Xorg OR recent kernel.

nVidia releases drivers for Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris -vs- ATI releases drivers only for Linux.

Also, there is something very cool I noticed about Mandriva:
Mandriva uses something called DKMS(made by Dell), instead of having a built kernel module for ATI or nVidia which is made for ONE specific kernel, that you install from a package;
DKMS-nvidia(or DKMS-ATI) package has the source of the ATI or nVidia kernel module, and when you upgrade your kernel, it makes you download the stripped sources needed for building the kernel module. Then it builds it. This way, nVidia or ATI driver panic is prevented after a kernel upgrade.

I'm guessing Ubuntu Feisty definitely has something similar, but the nVidia card used to test this on Mandriva is no longer around to test this on Feisty(it took me too long to download Feisty :( )

bchaffin72
June 14th, 2007, 01:15 AM
I've had two nvidia cards in different computers under two different Linux distributions without any difficulties. Any glitches I had were the result of my own ignorance, and were easily corrected with a little education.

Tux Aubrey
June 14th, 2007, 03:43 AM
I initially struggled getting my Geforce 6600 working. I was actually looking forward to the restricted drivers manager in Feisty but it killed X on the next boot. There are truly hundreds of posts containing so much conflicting advice on the forums that I was totally confused and I can understand someone getting the impression that this is a real stopper for nVidia/Ubuntu. But in the end,the fix was simple. Perhaps a really good, peer-reviewed How-To would eliminate some of the problem? But the How-to section of the forums seems pretty well unmoderated (apologies to the mods). There is so much rubbish posted that finding the gold must be impossible for newbies.

BTW, I really only need the nVidia card to get 1920x1200 res on my 24 inch monitor and when it does work, it is a thing of beauty.

Sp4cedOut
June 14th, 2007, 04:44 AM
I have a 7600GT and have had no problems with it. Auto detected immediatly, enabled the restricted drivers, and even setup beryl with no headaches.

EDIT: I would honestly recommend a 7600GT to anyone. Solid card for a good price.

GSF1200S
June 14th, 2007, 07:13 AM
I have a 7600GT and have had no problems with it. Auto detected immediatly, enabled the restricted drivers, and even setup beryl with no headaches.

EDIT: I would honestly recommend a 7600GT to anyone. Solid card for a good price.

I hear you and definitly agree.. good in laptop world too.. especially with some careful overclocking :)

burt_57
June 15th, 2007, 02:07 AM

That is your choice , but read about NVIDIA and see what they are.
I use NVIDIA and I have no problem so far.
Are you trying to get attention to yourself ? :tongue:

burt_57
June 15th, 2007, 02:17 AM
I've had two nvidia cards in different computers under two different Linux distributions without any difficulties. Any glitches I had were the result of my own ignorance, and were easily corrected with a little education.

\_/ same here NVIDIA all the way..... gaming is good, and I have 2 displays.
Nvidia handleit well.
eg: in windows that is.

Warpnow
June 15th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I have an ATI 9200 and have never had a single problem with any of the linux distros I've tried.

ghandi69_
July 6th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I hear you and definitly agree.. good in laptop world too.. especially with some careful overclocking :)

My 7600 GT (eVGA) will NOT seem to be detected by feisty no matter what I do....