PDA

View Full Version : Netscape 9 beta 1 Available

racoq
June 6th, 2007, 01:37 AM
you can get the linux version at:
http://browser.netscape.com/downloads

Although it is a refurnished Firefox anyone tested it?

Does it in terms of performance is exactly the same as firefox?

Leave your thoughts

Adamant1988
June 6th, 2007, 02:08 AM
I'm checking out the features list and it looks pretty good. I'll install it and let you know how it goes. If it is any kind of an improvement on FireFox I will probably have my new favorite browser.

Well, for any one that likes netscape services, you'll just love this browser as it seems to integrate with a lot of them. Can't say that those apply to me though, so I'll have to see if I like it.

PatrickMay16
June 6th, 2007, 02:12 AM
If you use a dark/low contrast theme, netscape 9 has graphical problems in some places.
I didn't look at it much after being soured by that, but things seem much the same as firefox but with some extra RSS stuff. If you ask me, you might as well just use firefox.

Adamant1988
June 6th, 2007, 02:14 AM
If you use a dark/low contrast theme, netscape 9 has graphical problems in some places.
I didn't look at it much after being soured by that, but things seem much the same as firefox but with some extra RSS stuff. If you ask me, you might as well just use firefox.

Any noticeable speed improvements over FireFox? (In terms of the browser, not page loading)

starcraft.man
June 6th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Bah, call me a grump but I'm gonna stick with my ol' reliable firefox. I don't know why everyone says it (firefox) is slow, i've got over 25 extensions in it and it runs smooth as silk and no crashes (on an old p4 with 1 gb sd ram to boot). Plus, I love my Noia theme.

Maybe I'll install it in my VM just for a quick peak... I feel doubtful though.

Adamant1988
June 6th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Well, having loaded it up, I'm liking it so far. It offers decent RSS integration (big plus), I kind of like the integration with netscape.com even though I'm not a current user of the service. Seems to start a bit faster than Firefox, but then again, I've loaded FireFox with extensions.

Sunflower1970
June 6th, 2007, 03:14 AM
I had no clue Netscape was even in production any more. I thought they weren't going to develop it any more because FF was out...

Adamant1988
June 6th, 2007, 03:26 AM
God, I wish all installations could go that painlessly.. really. Extract, make an icon, done.

motang
June 6th, 2007, 03:43 PM
It seems to a carbon copy of Firefox 2.0 with a green theme and added buttons for Netscape branded stuff. I think I am going to pass. I have installed on my system, I guess I shall just take it off.

PatrickMay16
June 6th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Any noticeable speed improvements over FireFox? (In terms of the browser, not page loading)

I can't say I noticed any speed differences, neither slower nor faster... but I didn't experiment very much with it.

Adamant1988
June 6th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I can't say I noticed any speed differences, neither slower nor faster... but I didn't experiment very much with it.

Oddly enough, it does seem a bit faster to me. I've never used netscape's services before, but I kind of like how it just integrates with the latest news from their site. Cool deal IMO. It does seem to be a little snappier and more responsive than FireFox 2.0 even with the same extensions loaded.

Adamant1988
June 7th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Update: I'm enjoying this a good bit. Anyone else using it?

mydrac
June 7th, 2007, 06:08 PM
i like. But the flashgot don't work.
knows somebody similar addons.

infidel
June 9th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Hmm... speed and stability look good so far (stability's the big thing for me; since v1.5, Firefox -- with extensions or without -- has crashed on me with infuriating regularity).

However, the font rendering on my system (Feisty) is terrible. Thin, weak-looking. What am I missing, or forgetting?

stmiller
June 10th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Interesting. Will take any Firefox 2 extensions. I guess it just is FF2 rebranded.

H.E. Pennypacker
June 10th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Netscape is still alive? Hmm...I thought it was 2007. It must still be 2000.

BloodyTails
June 10th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Netscape 9 is just a refurbished version of Firefox. Not enough differences or advantages to make me want to switch.

hanzomon4
June 10th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Neat, this is so refreshing and I love the theme. Netscape has always been a mystery to me. I remember that Netscape was everywhere and nowhere when I got my first computer, Packard Bell win95. I never really saw it but in it's seeming omnipresence, and disturbing absents, I always saw it as a dream, Like a person who lives in a world that starts when you, not me, goes to sleep.

How ironic that I find it late at night with a theme that matches the vision I had for it years ago. I think it's a keeper, or at least a familiar alternative.

en3rgy
June 15th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Im so sorry to ask this dumb n00b question but how exactly did you install Netscape? I downloaded it (Feisty 7.04) and am not sure what to do next.

hanzomon4
June 15th, 2007, 05:28 AM
I just moved the Directory to /opt/ and ln -sf /opt/navigator/navigator to /usr/bin