PDA

View Full Version : Alright, Tennesseans, what's on your mind?

MrMosier
June 6th, 2007, 12:43 AM
I thought that since no one has started our forum with any posts whatsoever, I would throw out the first bone. So, folks, what problems do you see that specifically affect Tennesseans deciding to switch to Ubuntu?

n3gbz
June 7th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Great to see the Tennessee forum started!!!

Promotion and educaton are high priority in my book. Most people I encounter have never heard of Ubuntu, Floss, Linux, OpenSource, etc.

The more people who hear about the world of OpenSource and the more often they hear about it, the easier it will become to convert the world to OpenSource. I offer CDs and recommend books and articles and do occasional presentations on OpenSource. Within my sphere of influence, knowledge of OpenSource is growing but we are a long way from reaching critical mass.

I receive personal satisfaction when I see the light come on as people realize that they do indeed have the "Freedom of Choice".

saxonjf
June 10th, 2007, 06:09 AM
There's total ignorance of Ubuntu, and what computer users know of Linux in Nashville, they think its just for Vandy tech geeks.

I can't find anyone in Nashville who is at my level: well above ignorance, liking to use it, and preferring it to *******, but also able to talk about it in english.

I went to the NLUG at Vandy, and I think they were speaking Swahili, but I can't be sure. Something about jails, and BSD, and there was no support, just tech geeks going over storing information in places only certain people could get to.

I am disappointed, because I want a group I can sit down with and go over issues, and learn new ideas.

None of the books ever help because they are still all on Edgy.

Anyway, bascially, I am ccaught between the people who have rocks in their heads, and the hard place to learn anything about Linux or OSS without already having a BS in Comp. Sci.

xang
June 15th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Heya! Glad to hear there are some TN individuals interested in Linux and the Open Source community!

I work in the Franklin area and live in Murfreesboro. I have been evangelizing some around town in the 'Boro. I have even brought my system76 laptop loaded with Beryl and the like to show off.
Funny thing is, the eye candy generates a lot of WOW factor, but the fact that there are other programs out there (read: open source) that can do what users want without plunking down major $$$ is what generates the most interest. I have discussed several open source alternatives for word processing,graphics, even programming IDE(s) and the like. People have generally been open to the idea, and I have even burned and given away several Ubuntu Live CDs.
I think people would love to change but think it may leave them short when it comes to software. I just try to show them that if they wanted to try Linux and OSS out, they would actually have more options than they have with their current OS. Power to the community!

Xang.

tideline
June 19th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Glad to see some posts on the forum!! :D

Basically, coming from someone who works with Open Source on a daily basis and seeing acceptance at both my current employer (a very large media company) and my previous employer gives me hope. However, there is still a lot of ignorance about open source software due to the FUD and non-main stream aspect of it. There are those people who think Linux is only for hackers or what ever you want to call them. I have personally attended a meeting where a contractor told the Principal of a school that there is no one in Knoxville who knows Linux, and it's more expensive and less secure than M$ windows. This kind of stuff goes on every day. I guess he didn't know about the 200+ servers my company uses that have linux installed on them. And our office is across the street from his =D>

Hope we can help make a change...

Mike

forpeterssake
June 19th, 2007, 09:05 PM
This forum is a great idea. I think it will be much easier to work together in a forum as opposed to an email list or IRC chat.

I'm based in Nashville/Franklin, and I know very few people outside of Vanderbilt that use Linux. But I think now is the time to help them make the switch. My firm is already leaning that direction -- they've switched to Thunderbird/Firefox on their computers, and I've gained some interest about OpenOffice. They're still chained to Windows due to some proprietary programs, but even those problems are disappearing as the providers are switching to Web-based services rather than on-board applications.

That said, I really use Linux most for personal use, rather than professional. I think the low cost of use is extremely important for non-profits, educational institutions, etc. But I'm also quite interested in how it can help rehabilitate older machines. I've only been using Ubuntu for about a year, but I was amazed how well Xubuntu ran on my old desktop. I've been contemplating installing Xubuntu on my grandparents' computer so they can get more mileage out of the hardware and not worry about security flaws.

It sounds like I may be in the general category as saxonjf -- not a C.S. major, but a user with general computer knowledge. I appreciate the hardcore folks that make it all work, but the reason I picked Ubuntu as a distro was its accessibility to everyday people.

jjtechno
June 19th, 2007, 11:50 PM
This is most excellent news. Down here in Chattanooga, we are a small but growing group of folks.
Regards

todd_p_3
June 21st, 2007, 05:16 AM
I find the average user unwilling to give up on Windows. I have yet to convert completely. I have not grasped the ins and outs of Wine, so I still use Windows for games. So Wine is on my mind.

tideline
June 21st, 2007, 02:17 PM
todd, that is a very valid concern. A lot of people _only_ use their machines for gameing. Personally, I don't have a lot of time for games, but I do keep that odd, windows machine around simply for when the gameing bug hits me. With that said, that windows machine doesn't get run much... My son's lappy is Edubuntu, my other machines are all Linux. Once Wine/Cedega are better supported, I think adoption will be better.

boogiepop88
June 22nd, 2007, 12:31 AM
i tried to use cedega for a little bit but had an older video card that wasnt supported at the time, i havent tried since i bought a new nvidia card and have had less time to game, but agreed that is a hurdle. Same here no CS, i am a PC Tech for a major retailer, but i can help with and answer 98% questions that would be coming from a new user. I've gotten about 9 total people i know now running ubuntu as opposed to windows. they like it a lot. i think a lot of people once you start talking about price they really start listening. Vista Machine running Aeroglass? expensive... A solid cost effecient ubuntu box running beryl/compiz, people get interested, plus free software, they will usually listen for a moment. I've even had people say "Is this legal?"

RussellW
June 22nd, 2007, 03:59 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu and I am having a great time with it. I use it for simple everyday things. I don't do anything fancy and I have worked just deep enough to get my network going. I have tried several other Linux flavors and this seems to be the easiest to set up and get installed.

Besides the lack of gaming support and some install issues that are a little quirky to me, the only gripe I have is that the Flash plug-ins are missing for Opera.:-) I'm sure I will come across more pressing issues as time wears on. I also have it on a laptop that my daughter and her boyfriend will use from time to time and nary a complaint from either of them. The only question they have had is "what's the password?" I'm only keeping one PC on WinBlows for gaming and that may change soon if we get a Wii.

Dangit
July 4th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I live in La Vergne and was searching for a group to get together with to learn from. I'm new to Linux and have had my fair share of problems installing it. Right now I have issues with the resolution (400vtx Gateway with an intel 855GM chip - resolution won't go above 800X600 even with 915resolution so I must be doing something wrong) but I got the wireless thing solved! One poster said that the books were all still Edgy and I wish I had thought about that before I went and spent $$ on some books b/c he is right.

It would be nice to get together for a cup of coffee and see what everyone's done with their systems if they have a laptop.

I'm getting ready to install Linux on an old Frankenstein computer so that my son can play around on it!

DonnieP
July 5th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I guess you've tried 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'? I have feisty running on a Toshiba A135-S4467 laptop at 1280x800 (Intel 945 chip). I've got everything working correctly on the laptop except my headphone jack. The laptop speakers refuse to mute when I plug in headphones.

For solving problems I would have to say the community and Google are more helpful than any book. So what is a Frankenstein computer?

Dangit
July 7th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Hey, DonnieP:

I'll certainly try that. I don't know if I have, I've tried so many different things.

I ended up installing ubuntu on the old pc and converted to edubuntu.

Got a bug report during the upgrades, what am I supposed to do with those?

By Frankenstein I mean that I believe the machine was a compaq presario and in 2001, I installed a new hard drive and I think in '04 I got a used monitor that I'm now using with it. When I put the hard drive on, the face cover would no longer fit. It used to have windows 98 on it before Linux.

Dangit
July 7th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Ugh... That still did not do the trick.

DonnieP
July 7th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Dangit, does your xorg.conf show your desired resolution in the screen section at all color depths?

saxonjf
July 10th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Is there some way some of the Middle Tennesseans could just plan to get together as a form of meet and greet, making it light and friendly?

I would be interested in doing a software awareness day thing if I knew the other people involved.

We could meet at a Starbucks or a Barnes and Noble in Downtown Tennessee or Green Hills or Cool Springs or something.

Anyone interested?

forpeterssake
July 11th, 2007, 04:08 PM
That would be fun. I'd be interested in meeting up, and I'd probably bring the wife along -- she's started dabbling with Ubuntu on an external hard drive recently. (Like me, she can't give up Windows entirely just yet because of the video games.)

DonnieP
July 11th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I'd like to participate as well.

Dangit
July 13th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I would more so if it were in Nashville.

DonnieP, I finally got it figured out. I followed the directions this fella over in the Absolute Beginner Talk gave me! Woot!

saxonjf
July 14th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Dangit...

I am more disposed to getting together in Nashville than Franklin...

I'll give a few ideas for where we could meet, then give a date we could get together, with at least two weeks lead time.

Cafe Coco, off Elliston Place
Frothy Monkey, Belmont Blvd
Borders, 2505 West End
City Limits Cafe, Bellevue
Todd's Butcher Shop and Deli, Charlotte Pike

Also, would Sunday afternoon be amicible?

w4ett
July 14th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Hi all....Don here in Lexington...just wanted to check in and say hello....User since Edgy and loving every minute of it.

Luksion Knight
July 15th, 2007, 12:02 AM
hey. i am from nashville and i am nearing completion of my computer. a friend of mine is going to help me put it together tommorrow and all the pieces are at his house. i'm glad to see i'm not the only one in nashville using ubuntu, and that i am not alone in the quest to spread the knowlege of its presence. so far i have almost convinced several of my friends, but they want to see it in action first, and i've ordered several live CDs for people just to prove that it was entirely free. i hope to see more people using ubuntu, and i may suggest edubuntu to several school systems as an alternative to pricy windows. i look forward to being an active member in this forum.

w4ett
July 15th, 2007, 12:46 AM
hey. i am from nashville and i am nearing completion of my computer. a friend of mine is going to help me put it together tommorrow and all the pieces are at his house. i'm glad to see i'm not the only one in nashville using ubuntu, and that i am not alone in the quest to spread the knowlege of its presence. so far i have almost convinced several of my friends, but they want to see it in action first, and i've ordered several live CDs for people just to prove that it was entirely free. i hope to see more people using ubuntu, and i may suggest edubuntu to several school systems as an alternative to pricy windows. i look forward to being an active member in this forum.

Glad to see some ACTIVITY on here...congrats on your new machine...BTW, just got my new shipment of Feisty from Canonical today...3rd order received and I've managed to covert a few folks around here too..even some of the 'puter shops... 8) If you are short a cd or two, let me know.

Luksion Knight
July 15th, 2007, 04:14 AM
will do. has anyone considered and ubuntu convention? have it in a coffee house w/ good free coffee, maybe get a band or two, have a gaming competition. raise awareness ya know

n3gbz
July 15th, 2007, 04:46 AM
=... I've managed to covert a few folks around here too..even some of the 'puter shops....

That's great! I have a few "Edubuntu on the old computer for the kids" converts but no primary computer converts yet.

TheOpenCD has been more of a success. OpenOffice.org is being used by quite a few locals now and Audacity is proving to be a great intro to Open Source, especially with high schoolers.

Plus one computer shop that is giving out TheOpenCD for those in need of a word processor instead of selling MS Office upgrades. The shop owner agrees that the word-of-mouth advertising for giving out totally-free software will be great for building up his reputation (it is a fairly new shop) and will reap far greater rewards down the road than his software markups today.

xang
July 24th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I am in favor of the Nashville area for the gathering. I think that would be the most logical area for the time being and if we never do a kick off meeting, this idea might never get off the ground. At least those of us that went, could take photos and post and maybe that would encourage more to come out in the future!

e30power
September 12th, 2007, 01:21 AM
I live in Franklin, go to school in the boro (MTSU), work in Nashville, and have been using Linux since 2003. I started on Mandrake 7, and now use Ubuntu since 5.04. I have a SMB/DHCP/DNS/HTTP/MDNS server that has been up for 160 some odd days now, and it still is moving right along, hasnt even dipped into the swap file. I cant run Ubuntu on the desktop due to being in the Windows (CIS) department at school, but I love running Linux servers. I would love to have an informal get-together if possible.

j8994
September 26th, 2007, 01:04 PM
im glad i stumbled upon this, even tho it was after the post in the mail list lmao.

xtemplarx
September 27th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Hey guys. I'm another Todd, but this time over toward Knoxville. I've been using linux on and off since toying with Slackware on a 386 a long time ago, and have gone fully linux on both of my work machines as well as my main gaming rig at home. I toyed with making the total-immersion plunge with edgy, but finally went thru with it when Feisty was released.

I've always WANTED to switch fully, but I can't let go of my windows games. Once I discovered that Cedega supported WoW (and nicely, I might add), that was all I needed.

Right now, I think the only thing that ever plagues me at work or at home is the current state of wireless support, but thankfully my laptop has an ethernet jack as well, so I'm good for the most part. ;)

TT