PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Pins - Are you interested?

Jenda
June 5th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Hello forum folks,

There has been some talk around the marketing team we could have some 1 inch pins made. They would have to be made in a number of about 200 to be affordable, and the price should be about $2 apiece and $1-$2 shipping.

I would like to know what you think about this idea - and if you'd think of getting some.

Eric_
June 5th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I think it's a neat idea, i'd pick up a few once I get my paypal issues sorted out.

AllenGG
June 6th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Hey Jenda !!!! great idea, but lets' say I send you $20 and you take a couple of would be Ubuntu converts out for a beer instead. Will do this if you send me a few stickers, for Ubuntu, that I install on friends' computers.

ps: use PM

Jenda
June 6th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Allen, I can take that - but please do send me an email with exactly what numbers of which stickers you'd like and your address.

I don't have a problem with taking some Ubuntu converts for a beer at all ;)

Eric_
June 6th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Have these stickers already been made? If so; can I see a sample?
I'm interested in picking some up for boxes around my home using Ubuntu,

Thanks.

edit: nevermind, found the info I needed in your signature, I get my anklet removed on friday so i'll be able to swing by the bank and open a new account, I should have my paypal fixed within a week after that, and i'll be buying some stuff ^.^

AllenGG
June 6th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Thanks Jenda, have sent e-mail. 10 stickers would be great! have installed ubuntu on peoples' machines, lost count.
When in doubt, have a beer !

starcraft.man
June 6th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Sounds like another winning idea Jenda. I should probably get a paypal account and order some of your stuff one of these days....

Cyfr
June 6th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Just for translation purposes, are we talking about badges here?

haw730
June 6th, 2007, 03:32 AM
where can we get stickers at? I want some :(

SoulinEther
June 6th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Just to give you some input because I realize this will cost you some money...

Pins are not a good idea. For one, they're more obvious than a compute sticker... I mean think about it, do people going around wearing Windows pins? Or Apple pins? And you have to keep putting it on.

But I do recommend you keep up your sticker and poster sales... speaking of which, I think I might want to buy some nice computer stickers, hehe.

Jenda
June 6th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Just for translation purposes, are we talking about badges here?

We're talking about the metal badges with pins you can stick to your shirt or backpack.

where can we get stickers at? I want some :(

See my signature :)

Just to give you some input because I realize this will cost you some money...

Pins are not a good idea. For one, they're more obvious than a compute sticker... I mean think about it, do people going around wearing Windows pins? Or Apple pins? And you have to keep putting it on.

But I do recommend you keep up your sticker and poster sales... speaking of which, I think I might want to buy some nice computer stickers, hehe.

I only brought it up due to popular demand. People often put these on coats or backpacks, so they can wear them even without putting them on every time.
Apart from stickers - they are visible to the public eye and chance to spark a 'what's that' question - which is good.
The point of the poll is to find out if people want them or not. I need to be able to sell at least 200 for it to work out en masse - otherwise it would be a niche product of $10 apiece for 10 people - which isn't the way I work.

AllenGG
June 6th, 2007, 01:28 PM
To all: Jenda is correct, This is an alternate form of communication, just as stickers on computers have become the norm. Math students and teachers wearing pins would really help , if, of course they use (deploy, lousy word) Ubuntu !
For friends and associates who are incapable of installing Ubuntu, I've done it for them, perhaps they should be "pinned" !!

Jenda
June 6th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the backing, Allen :)

If this ever happens, it would be interesting to see how good the effect was. It'd be nice if everyone who gets some pins reported back if people ask what it is, etc.

Jenda
June 11th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Several changes to the plans:
1) the pins will be embossed.
2) they should be below $1 each
3) It's possible it'll be someone else doing the project :)

jgrabham
June 11th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I dont really want one, but I'm not afraid at all of sharp objects!

maniacmusician
June 11th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I think pins are a bit over the top, so I probably wouldn't buy one.

lepz
June 12th, 2007, 06:25 AM
I'm still waiting for the Buntu Burger to hit the high street. ;)

SoulinEther
June 12th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Some girls at my school put pins on their backpacks. I don't use a backpack, so I don't see myself using this...

Because wearing a pin most of the time is a bit weird, unless you're at a voting booth or you're wearing it just for one day.

But if you get yourself a crowd to buy them, by all means do it.

Jenda
June 12th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Yes, backpacks and coats are more of what I'd imagine under these pins than shirts, unless at an expo or something.

Ubuntu already has two burgers:
https://launchpad.net/~bburger
https://launchpad.net/~corey.burger

Tux Aubrey
June 12th, 2007, 08:36 AM
MMMMM.... that would be one tasty burger.

And I still vote for pins. I am always attracted to trinkets and have a collection of obscure pins I wear when I feel enigmatic. And just think what an original Ubuntu pin will be worth in 20 years.

Spr0k3t
June 12th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Do we have some sort of sample rendering? I'm interested, but would like to see more.

Jenda
June 12th, 2007, 09:56 AM
No samples - they have to be molded, and creating the mold is the most expensive part.

MenZa
June 12th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Definitely interested, Jenda. So, when you say pins, you mean actual cut metal-versions of the pins, rather than a big ugly white blob with an Ubuntu logo on it?

Jenda
June 12th, 2007, 12:10 PM
I have no idea what you're asking :)

They would be metal, embossed badges, with a pin on the back.

Spr0k3t
June 12th, 2007, 12:24 PM
That's cool... if they turn out like I think they would, I'd definitely be interested. I've got a few pin backs that I've since converted over to tie-tacks. Would be quite cool to use something like that.

crabclaw
May 30th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Pins are a great idea. just been talking about the need for pins on the irc. Less obvious branding than clothing & stickers & indicate that ubuntu is a desirable movement that people should wish to join.

I'll buy 'em & give 'em away in my bookshop. (as long as they are little pins not those godawful large button/badges that tend to feature politicians smiling faces kissing babies)

Captain Oblivious
May 30th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I'd get one as long as the pin is like a safety pin rather than the kind that has a pin that sticks straight back with a little metal thing behind it that falls off and gets lost. I wish I knew what they were called.