PDA

View Full Version : Southamericans!

visionaire
June 5th, 2007, 05:10 PM
How many are around here?
La copa America esta por empezar, quien la gana?????

tszanon
June 13th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I'm brazillian. Yes, Copa America is about to begin, but I don't care who wins, I don't like soccer that much... :)
I don't speak Spanish, but it wasn't hard to understand what you said.

RAV TUX
June 14th, 2007, 01:03 AM

Check out these LoCo Teams on this forum:
1. Argentina Team (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
2. Colombia Team - Colombia (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
3. Costa Rica Team (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=262)

Tundro Walker
June 14th, 2007, 02:32 AM
I'm not South American, but my co-worker is Guatemalan, and she won't shut up about this stuff when she's at work. Seriously, she makes most sport-fanatic guys seem tame by comparison.

H.E. Pennypacker
June 14th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I have taken a class on Spanish, and I am still trying to figure out why Latino people use aqui or que so much. Que has so many meanings, I am not sure I can follow its use. It is used when it seems inappropriate to use.

Oh well.

Brazil should change its language to Spanish. Everyone else speaks Spanish, you may as well join the ship.

Tundro Walker
June 14th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I have taken a class on Spanish, and I am still trying to figure out why Latino people use aqui or que so much. Que has so many meanings, I am not sure I can follow its use. It is used when it seems inappropriate to use.

Oh well.

Brazil should change its language to Spanish. Everyone else speaks Spanish, you may as well join the ship.

The problem with learning a language (from a book, a packaged program or a class) is you learn the "proper" language. However, like "American-ese", you have the young, hip crowd inventing new slang or using old terms in new ways all the time.

I'm reminded of a girl I chatted with who was an ESL in China. She told me that the highest compliment you could pay someone over there (in slang terms) was to say "you truly are your mother's ox ****" (and, no, the censored word does not refer to feces, but more to a female anatomical part). Just goes to show that anything can be an insult or compliment, just depends on the context.

H.E. Pennypacker
June 14th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I'm reminded of a girl I chatted with who was an ESL in China. She told me that the highest compliment you could pay someone over there (in slang terms) was to say "you truly are your mother's ox ****" (and, no, the censored word does not refer to feces, but more to a female anatomical part). Just goes to show that anything can be an insult or compliment, just depends on the context.

That cannot possibly be true, but I can't imagine why you'd make it up.

Papi-KB7VGW
June 14th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Si, the Copa America will be starting soon but the Copa Oro is happening en vivo and directo, on tape. Estados Unitdos is invited this year. It should be exciting.:D

ThinkBuntu
June 14th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Quiero trasladar a Santiago o Buenos Aires...

tszanon
June 15th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Oh well.
I guess the same can be said by everyone who is learning English about the word "get". Its meanings occupy about half a page in most dictionaries. :)

Ouch. If countries here in south america were united and friendly, maybe it could be considered, but it still would be very unlikely. But, since it's not the case...

And I believe that such a change would be extremely hard to do, and would require some decades to be completely done. Long-term changes in Brazil? No government would do it.

So, can it be done? Yes. Would it be done? No way. Unless it is done by Chuck Norris or Ethan Hunt (Mission: Impossible). ;)
Sincerely, I prefer Portuguese. And, if we were to change languages, why not change it to a more world-wide accepted one, like English? It would be better than changing to Spanish.

xael
June 15th, 2007, 08:50 PM
... [snip]...

Brasileiro ( the variant of Portuguese spoken in Brazil) is so similar to Spanish that they even share the same root, so it's pretty simple for anybody there to understand a Hispanic . :D

tszanon
June 15th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Brasileiro ( the variant of Portuguese spoken in Brazil) is so similar to Spanish that they even share the same root, so it's pretty simple for anybody there to understand a Hispanic . :D
Hmmm...altough it is sometimes used, if I recall correctly, "Brasileiro" is still wrong. It's still called "Portuguese", even being different than the Portuguese spoken in Portugal.
Anyway...yes, sometimes it's easy to understand them talking, but it's common NOT to understand them...sometimes it's the accent, or how fast they speak...altough they both come from Latin, they're different languages.