PDA

View Full Version : Hostility for being Linux user

Ebuntor
June 5th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Hi everyone,

Since I switched to Ubuntu (and SLAX) about 9 months ago I have had numerous cases of people seeing I no longer use Windows. They start asking me why and get angry at me for using an alternative. (I'm talking about mostly fellow students at my University, people I work with on projects. Usually in a professional way.) Since I have had situations like that before I now give the standard FLOSS answers.

I'm not talking about "So what's wrong with Windows" or "Why is Ubuntu better" discussions. I've made it a policy not to get in to such subjects anymore.
I'm talking about open hostility; insulting me, making ridiculous claims about Ubuntu, Linux and open source in general etc etc. (I have to add that they usually don't know anything about Linux or open source)

In fact it's so bad at times I thought about switching back or making my desktop look like Windows.

I have to admit I have a Ubuntu sticker on my laptop (the ones you get with the shipit cd's) and one of those "Powered by Ubuntu" stickers Jenda sells. I do that
to make people curious about Ubuntu and it has worked very well in the past, several people actually switched to Ubuntu.

But there's also these people who just get angry but I think that having a sticker on your computer hardly is reason for being pissed off.

And I just want to make clear it's not like "I'm asking for it". As I said I try to avoid Windows vs Linux/FLOSS discussions

So my question is: Has anyone else ever had such problems and if so what can I do about it?
(apart from hiding my laptop ;))

Lord Illidan
June 5th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I quote Gandhi's mantra:

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."

In all seriousness, though, don't switch just because they're teasing you. You'll have lost the battle to them. Just don't fight in the first place. What I used to do in school is never discuss linux with these type of people. I'd talk about games, etc, but I'd be linux-neutral.

You might also want to ask them why do they get angry? Is it just because you are not one of them?

Catsworth
June 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I'm only going to say this once, so please read carefully before replying and ensure you understand the instructions I'm giving you. It is absolutely imperative that you follow these instructions to the letter, if you deviate from them at all they simply won't work. This is the only sure fire way that people like this can be dealt with, there is no other way. They will not be swayed/moved by any other technique, only the expert advice that I am bout to impart to you can save you from them, and only timely activity on your part will avert certain disaster. You must act now, begin dealing with the problem (but only as I describe above) as soon as you have finished reading this post, do not delay for time is in short supply.

Ignore them, they are idiots.

No.....really.....

Ebuntor
June 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM
In all seriousness, though, don't switch just because they're teasing you.

Lol, well that's the problem. I'm talking about 20 year old guys. Fellow students at my university. This isn't "just teasing" anymore. People I work with in a semi-professional environment. I can get along with them perfectly, working with them on software projects. But as soon as someone talks about Ubuntu.....

Ebuntor
June 5th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Ignore them, they are idiots.

No.....really.....

Haha, well that solution sure is a lot simpler than I thought it would be. ;) thanks

Catsworth
June 5th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Haha, well that solution sure is a lot simpler than I thought it would be. ;) thanks

Simplicity is, itself, the very disguise of complexity. Behind every simple action lies a complex set of reasons, it is often the complex actions that have the simplest reasons behind them. Simplicity is the enemy of complexity, for complexity cannot reason with the simple.

Lord Illidan
June 5th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Lol, well that's the problem. I'm talking about 20 year old guys. Fellow students at my university. This isn't "just teasing" anymore. People I work with in a semi-professional environment. I can get along with them perfectly, working with them on software projects. But as soon as someone talks about Ubuntu.....

That's different..in my case it was 17 year old guys though...but why do they dislike you for using Linux? Or is linux just a catalyst?

sanderella
June 5th, 2007, 12:15 PM
It's ignorance!

Last week I tried to change my ISP to Sky. They had never even heard of Linux!
My solution is to ring them up everyday and innocently ask them if Sky works with Linux. They have heard of it now.;)

eentonig
June 5th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Let them rant. They don't need to adapt anything because you're using linux, right? So what's their problem?

DoctorMO
June 5th, 2007, 12:25 PM

People at age 20 should know better, the problem it seems is that they believe you to be in some sort of cultish social grouping in which everyone must do, say, use all the same things.

So you all wear the same kinds of hats and talk with the same slang? that will be a clue.

Personally I used to love fighting the normal people. they're such sheep sometimes they don't enough know it.

Adamant1988
June 5th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Hi everyone,

Since I switched to Ubuntu (and SLAX) about 9 months ago I have had numerous cases of people seeing I no longer use Windows. They start asking me why and get angry at me for using an alternative. (I'm talking about mostly fellow students at my University, people I work with on projects. Usually in a professional way.) Since I have had situations like that before I now give the standard FLOSS answers.

I'm not talking about "So what's wrong with Windows" or "Why is Ubuntu better" discussions. I've made it a policy not to get in to such subjects anymore.
I'm talking about open hostility; insulting me, making ridiculous claims about Ubuntu, Linux and open source in general etc etc. (I have to add that they usually don't know anything about Linux or open source)

In fact it's so bad at times I thought about switching back or making my desktop look like Windows.

I have to admit I have a Ubuntu sticker on my laptop (the ones you get with the shipit cd's) and one of those "Powered by Ubuntu" stickers Jenda sells. I do that
to make people curious about Ubuntu and it has worked very well in the past, several people actually switched to Ubuntu.

But there's also these people who just get angry but I think that having a sticker on your computer hardly is reason for being pissed off.

And I just want to make clear it's not like "I'm asking for it". As I said I try to avoid Windows vs Linux/FLOSS discussions

So my question is: Has anyone else ever had such problems and if so what can I do about it?

That's a completely unreasonable response, everyone treating you thusly is an ***-hat, and you have my permission to call them such. People are unnecessarily territorial about really stupid things, and if you were to read those forum more often you would understand that using one distribution over another can get you hostility, let alone using a completely different OS.

use a name
June 5th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Maybe they are ashamed they are still using Windows?

Ebuntor
June 5th, 2007, 12:36 PM
It's ignorance!

Yeah that's probably what it comes down to. Although why ignorance would lead to hostility is beyond me.

Maybe they are ashamed they are still using Windows?
Who wouldn't be? ;)

Anyway thank you for your replies. "Simply" ignoring people like that would probably be best.

HotShotDJ
June 5th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I usually DON'T run into hostility. I'm a non-traditional (read: old) graduate student. Fellow students have seen (and used!) my laptop running Kubuntu 7.04. However, it is also true that I'm somewhat known for my iconoclastic points of view -- so nobody is really surprised (or bothered) by my software choices.

brim4brim
June 5th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Its pretty simple, people are afraid of what they don't understand and tend to act irrationally around things they don't understand.

I think most of the problem is people think you have to be intelligent to use Linux so they assume your smarter than them and that freaks them out so they freak out and act irrationally.

Its one or the other or probably a mix of both.

cmeeks2662
June 5th, 2007, 12:55 PM
The real reason is that they know their OS is inadequate and they think it is too much of a hassle to switch. You see a lot of "bright" people who use computers and they are afraid of them, or they are afraid to show their lack of knolage, so a new operating system is something to attack out of the fear that it will catch on and they will have to fake it with another OS. Always afraid they will be figured out.
Is Linux better than Windows? Yes
Is there still a place for Windows? Yes , until it kills it's self

cunawarit
June 5th, 2007, 01:05 PM

No, never...

If it is as bad as you say, tell them, if that doesn't work, then report it.

If it is just teasing, well, that's bound to happen. We all teased each other when I was doing my PhD, I was teased because of my old Mac, I teased the Linux users that couldn't get wireless working or connect to iTunes shares, the Linux users teased the Windows users that struggled with Cygwin and bash during joint projects, everyone pointed and laughed at the single BeOS user, etc...We all knew OS choice is a trivial thing, it was just guys working together, coming up with cool ideas, wanting to change the world, and having fun... I loved it.

Also keep in mind it is not 2002, Linux desktop isn't the media/student darling it once was , people have even stopped saying the old "Its the year of Linux desktop" (Ubuntu being the exception, it is a media darling, and in some ways the Ubuntu brand is so strong it has eclipsed Linux for the mass media). I still log into my old computer science department IRC channel, whereas back in 2002 everyone would have been raving about Linux, now the latest thing I read was "Well, the BBC news video works for me. Oh, wait! My desktop works! It's not Linux!"... Not a real insult, just good natured banter again.

My advice, if it isn't harassment. Then just enjoy Ubuntu, enjoy writing Bash scripts in 5 minutes that do more than they can do in C# or Java in half a day's work... Just have fun, University is WAY too cool to spend it obsessing over what other people said.

LightB
June 5th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Well I don't really carry a laptop with me so it's not an issue for me. But if it was, I'd just get medieval on their candy [behind]. ;)

Lucifiel
June 5th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Mmm hmmm... my solution is this:

Next time any of them need your help on something(especially with computers), just turn around and say : "Since Linux is so terrible, then you don't need to borrow my computer/laptop, do you?" or "Since Linux users are as terrible as you say, then do you really need my help?"

Aetherius
June 5th, 2007, 01:17 PM
what follows below may be apdated to your situation :D

Dust in your face! (http://xkcd.com/c272.html)

Can't help but love you Randall (http://xkcd.com)

a12ctic
June 5th, 2007, 01:24 PM
In real life I havn't had this situation, quite the contrast accualy. However forums with the age group of men you are talking about are quite hostile towards linux and how it cant run "LOLDX10"

prizrak
June 5th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I never really encounter anything like that, but I'm kind of big and wear lots of army gear :)

PartisanEntity
June 5th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Amazing, I really cannot relate to people who would insult someone or ridicule them for using an operating system on their computer.

Ebuntor
June 5th, 2007, 01:56 PM
No, never...

If it is as bad as you say, tell them, if that doesn't work, then report it.

If it is just teasing, well, that's bound to happen. We all teased each other when I was doing my PhD, I was teased because of my old Mac, I teased the Linux users that couldn't get wireless working or connect to iTunes shares, the Linux users teased the Windows users that struggled with Cygwin and bash during joint projects, everyone pointed and laughed at the single BeOS user, etc...We all knew OS choice is a trivial thing, it was just guys working together, coming up with cool ideas, wanting to change the world, and having fun... I loved it.

Oh no, usually the cruel jokes/pranks we do and the sarcasm that is dripping on the floor is quite normal. I can easily tell when someone is serious. Otherwise I would never have started this thread.

I did forget to mention that there's Debian installed on just about every computer on campus so Linux is well known. I'm hardly the only linux user.

Mmm hmmm... my solution is this:

Next time any of them need your help on something(especially with computers), just turn around and say : "Since Linux is so terrible, then you don't need to borrow my computer/laptop, do you?" or "Since Linux users are as terrible as you say, then do you really need my help?"

Not helping and saying that. I like it: it's cruel, it evil. :twisted:

what follows below may be apdated to your situation :D

Dust in your face! (http://xkcd.com/c272.html)

Can't help but love you Randall (http://xkcd.com/)

Lol, I like it. :D

I never really encounter anything like that, but I'm kind of big and wear lots of army gear :)

How about if start I wearing an army jacked? :P

use a name
June 5th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Can you quote them?

nyvalbanat
June 5th, 2007, 02:11 PM
We get better prices and more quality when there's more competition. I'm a big Linux/OSS fan but at the same time I welcome the advances made by competitors in the OS and browser arenas (yes, I welcomed Vista and IE7 and I even have a Vista dual-boot which I occasionally use) because I can see how that will incentivise OSS communities to improve their offerings.
When I put it this way, my co-workers tend to see me less a the linux weirdo and more as a human being - maybe you can give that a shot.

Eddie Wilson
June 5th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Lots of times people are most fearful of things they don't know anything about. Since these people seem to be computer experts they may feel that you have one up on them. And that may scare them.
Eddie

smoker
June 5th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Hi everyone,

you're obviously unlucky enough to be studying with a lot of jerks who have 'insecurity' issues. perhaps you could carry some cards with the phone numbers of some 'therapists' and hand them out whenever hassled.

better to be a lone-wolf, than run with the sheep:D

visionaire
June 5th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Destroy Them!

Somenoob
June 5th, 2007, 02:37 PM
This is not only hostility but also irrationality.

Ebuntor
June 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Can you quote them?

It's not really worth mentioning imo. It's usually something like why I think I'm too good for Windows. How I can be so arrogant to switch to Linux.
It mostly revolves around the point that non-WIndows user are arrogant and why they just don't use WIndows etc. This is usually combined with lots of cursing and ridiculous claims about Linux and FLOSS. It's very rare when any arguments are used or when this actually is any discussion at all.

But I don't have any real problem with this I was just wondering if anybody else is familiar with this problem and/or what's the problem of these people is. As smoker already pointed out that they probably feel insecure.

The most hypocrite thing of all is that most of them use Firefox without knowing it's open source. ;)

regomodo
June 5th, 2007, 02:56 PM
my housemate always teases me whenever he sees me doing something in linux assuming it's died "reinstalling linux then?" I just ignore him. He's an out and out Tory i.e he loves capitalism

Macboy at uni turns his nose up at me whenever i have mentioned the word Linux. Normally when he does something "fancy" and i state i can do the same.

Thankfully very few people i know have never heard of linux so they don't join in. I never start an OS chat (unless they are fellow techies) as it's quite sad.

starcraft.man
June 5th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Geez, I know what ya mean. I got a friend who's a diehard windows man, he likes to get on my nerves a bit cuz he knows I use linux. I don't mind though, we're kinda like that always arguing in a good way :D. Anyway, I know how to make em very quiet. Just install Beryl (maybe even Beagle, hope ya got a decent card for Beryl) and show em a few tricks with it and the Terminal. They won't bother you anymore once they realize their Aero/Vista suffers from inadequacy :p.

I'm actually surprised no one offered that before.... >.>.

Zero Prime
June 5th, 2007, 03:09 PM
This reminds me of our jails IT. When ever one of our computers crash I ask him why we don't just use Linux instead of Windows. He says Linux is crap. So I ask him "Is that why you always have to fix our crashed XP systems." The conversation usually stops there.

ghandi69_
June 5th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I'll be honest, I have never experienced anything close to this.

Every single person that has encountered my computer running Ubuntu has been at the very least curious and inquisitive, at the most so excited that they go home to download their own cd right away.

A lot of people have asked about it too, because my computer is the standard "playlist" whenever we have house parties (college town), and I would say easily over 100's of people have used it and I have never had a negative comment.

To me, most people either are not into computers enough to get angry about them, and those are the type that are curious about something different and normally think it "looks sweet", or there are people who are into computers and those are the ones who are possibly eager to try it.

I just think the type of person who would become hostile over an operating system are very few and far between when it comes to day to day life.

use a name
June 5th, 2007, 03:23 PM
It's not really worth mentioning imo. It's usually something like why I think I'm too good for Windows. How I can be so arrogant to switch to Linux.
It mostly revolves around the point that non-WIndows user are arrogant and why they just don't use WIndows etc. This is usually combined with lots of cursing and ridiculous claims about Linux and FLOSS. It's very rare when any arguments are used or when this actually is any discussion at all.
Arrogant. Where do they get the idea? It's sad indeed.

But I don't have any real problem with this I was just wondering if anybody else is familiar with this problem and/or what's the problem of these people is. As smoker already pointed out that they probably feel insecure.
I've been in a project with two linux fanboys. One of them was completely unable to use a gui... He's a Gentoo user and afaik does not even have a mouse attached to his computer. They were made fun of, but they enjoyed being called nerd etc, The real battle was between them and the mac fanboy... What could be more fun than occasionally throw some oil on the fire? We were using Visual Studio and Cygwin to compile for a platform that I have forgotten the name of...

Ebuntor
June 5th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Arrogant. Where do they get the idea? It's sad indeed.

I've been in a project with two linux fanboys. One of them was completely unable to use a gui... He's a Gentoo user and afaik does not even have a mouse attached to his computer.

That must be unique, I've never heard about such a extreme case of someone being unable to use a gui. :)

kamaboko
June 5th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Hi everyone,

Didn't your mommy or daddy tell you "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me"?

use a name
June 5th, 2007, 03:48 PM
That must be unique, I've never heard about such a extreme case of someone being unable to use a gui. :)
Me neither. He was pretty extreme, to say the least.

DoctorMO
June 5th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Didn't your mommy or daddy tell you "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me"?

Yes but thats wrong when the words reflect the way part of you feels about yourself, either guilt or inadiquacy are hard and fast weapons against anyone regardless of mantra.

best not to do anything you'll regret.

I've known windows and microsoft fanatics, my good friend from Egypt was one and still develops C#; the thing is now because of all our arguing he's more receptive to community development and I'm more receptive to 'right tool' thinking. although I will note that the worse people are those that have tried linux many years ago and failed to use it correctly or rushed into it with arrogance.

cunawarit
June 5th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I did forget to mention that there's Debian installed on just about every computer on campus so Linux is well known. I'm hardly the only linux user.

Don't take this the wrong way, maybe the problem isn't Linux. Maybe they just like picking on you.

It could simply be that they are a bunch of assholes...

Or maybe you did something that annoyed them with out realising...

Just be yourself, and keep on using your laptop with Ubuntu (hardly ultimate geekdom anyway).

Ebuntor
June 5th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, maybe the problem isn't Linux. Maybe they just like picking on you.

It could simply be that they are a bunch of assholes...

Or maybe you did something that annoyed them with out realising...

Just be yourself, and keep on using your laptop with Ubuntu (hardly ultimate geekdom anyway).

I doubt it because these poor computers running Debian also get the blame for everything. :p I'm just the only one who has Linux running on a computer they own.
And as I mentioned earlier, I work daily with these guys, it's nothing personal, it's just some weird problem they have with Linux.

Lord Illidan
June 5th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Or else..respond like this :

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/Vertigo688/spartabyaaa.jpg

Iarwain ben-adar
June 5th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Just don't give them ideas ;)

Iarwain

Koori23
June 5th, 2007, 04:19 PM
So, let me get this straight.. For thousands of years, we've been dealing with racism of all different sorts. From voting rights of woman, flat out hatred of people being of different skin colors, religous bigotry.. Now, in 2007 enters Computer profiling. "I don't like you because you don't have the NT Kernel". I hope I'm not interepeting this argument correctly.. Because if I am.. Ah.. I don't know what I'd do, I'm speechless now..

We're now hating each other because of consumer products one chooses.. Good Lord. What's next? "Linux User" drinking fountains and the "Microsoft" drinking fountains?

cunawarit
June 5th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Koori23, nah. Nothing has changed, people have been complete assholes since before we developed language.

Weather someone takes your meal away, spits at you, or picks on you because you use Linux it is all the same. People being assholes.

shijirou
June 5th, 2007, 04:39 PM
People are afraid and unsure of what they don't know.

I remember a friend of mine who is a long time Linux user, way before I was, getting an explanation from the tech support guy of his ISP, "Sir, your connection is unstable because you aren't using Windows" <-- priceless...

Lord Illidan
June 5th, 2007, 04:50 PM
People are afraid and unsure of what they don't know.

I remember a friend of mine who is a long time Linux user, way before I was, getting an explanation from the tech support guy of his ISP, "Sir, your connection is unstable because you aren't using Windows" <-- priceless...

I call that grasping at straws :)
I just don't mention linux to any tech guys or salesmen. I just make sure that the drivers are available by searching from the internet, then I go and buy. I never mention linux to my local computer seller, the salesmen just go blank, or else mumble something about it being "windows only".

Frankly, I stopped advertising that I use Linux, when I saw that no one was really interested.

bewoofy
June 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM
A friend of mine once said:
Everyone has a right to be as ignorant as they choose. [referring to those windows folks who lack the courage and/or curiosity to look at other OS.

I used windows for 15 yrs, and for me it was 'broke' for reasons I won't even go into..I heard ubuntu was the most secure of all, so that settled it!

Laura

Lord Illidan
June 5th, 2007, 04:54 PM

The most hypocrite thing of all is that most of them use Firefox without knowing it's open source.

Some people called me "You think you know everything because you use Linux", probably because I was a bit smug that I was avoiding the latest virus issues, etc.

Also, they don't know what Open Source is. An acquaintance of mine went so far to claim that Linux was communism, and he would never use it. This same person refused to use Ubuntu because Mark came from Africa...and then he ceased being my friend.

mips
June 5th, 2007, 04:57 PM
1. You can choose who you associate with.
2. Ignore it
3. Get over it

Lord Illidan
June 5th, 2007, 05:00 PM
1. You can choose who you associate with.
2. Ignore it
3. Get over it

++1

jrusso2
June 5th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Well it has been a long time since University for me, but my laptop has linux and often if I use it in a public space people become very curious about what it is and ask me lots of questions.

None have been hostile though.

If people would get hostile about my linux use I would just ignore them or tell them to change the subject if I had to speak to them like someone on a project.

hobieone
June 5th, 2007, 05:38 PM
as most have said it mostly due to people not knowing anything about the alternative but for themost part it is better thanit used to be back in the 90's. back then i used to get you use linux you must be a hacker or software pirate only those types use linux instead of windows

Lord Illidan
June 5th, 2007, 05:40 PM
as most have said it mostly due to people not knowing anything about the alternative but for themost part it is better thanit used to be back in the 90's. back then i used to get you use linux you must be a hacker or software pirate only those types use linux instead of windows

*dons his eyepatch* Arr, who are you calling a pirate, laddie?

w3bu53r
June 5th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Just give them free copies of Sabayon Linux (I know, I know, but I found out that Ubuntu LiveCD isn't suitable for demo purpose.) My classmates never bitched about me using Linux because of the freebies.

FuturePilot
June 5th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Hmmm. Interesting. I've never had anyone get angry with me because I use Linux. When someone sees that I'm not using Windows, the usual response is a gawking look of amazement and confusion. As if they are amazed that I got Linux on the computer and working, but confused at the same time because they see that you don't need Windows to run a computer.

jgrabham
June 5th, 2007, 06:06 PM
The people I know-
1) average PC user Whats linux? ok sounds cool! (usual Qs we get) - sometimes try linx, but cant get the hang of it
2)Windows lover - linux sucks you scratty mac user wannabe (OK only know 1 person like this, but still)
3)decent knowlege of PCs tried linux but prefers windows (for games usually)
4)fellow linux user (very rare)

kop316
June 5th, 2007, 06:11 PM
In my dorm I have had some open hostility to me about using Linux. At first I didn't care, but they continued to nag me about it, so one day I finally asked why they loved winodws so much. I got the response "I like when my computer fights me, and I like how sometime it randomly doesn't work. Linux and Mac are for whimps who don't know how to use computers."

From that point on I stopped valuing their opinion on anything.

I would say people like that are not worth dealing with.

Ebuntor
June 5th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I got the response "I like when my computer fights me, and I like how sometime it randomly doesn't work. Linux and Mac are for whimps who don't know how to use computers."

Oh you've got to be kidding me. They prefer an OS that can break down at random so they have to/can fix it?? Funny, that's one of the main reasons I switched to Linux. :)
However the logic behind that argument is....kinda strange.

kop316
June 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Oh you've got to be kidding me. They prefer an OS that can break down at random so they have to/can fix it?? Funny, that's one of the main reasons I switched to Linux. :)
However the logic behind that argument is....kinda strange.

I wish I could say I was kidding, but you just can't make something up that dumb. I just avoid those people now.

Ebuntor
June 5th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I just avoid those people now.

Sounds like a good idea.

santy_kushwaha
June 5th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Man i know that people gets mean when it comes to linux but the most technical fact which i found in general is that most of the linux user are technically advanced i mean that they know what they do whereas most of the linux are dump i mean just plug and play thing so they dont know what is goin on their machine n

next time point that to them they will shut their mouth

Channic
June 5th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I have this friend, when he comes over and gets on my computer and shuts linux right off . . . then he complains I have Vista (not really all that bad when you got the hardware and turn off UAC). When I ran XP he would know where to look to find personal stuff to read over, now he can't figure out where to find things in Vista and doesn't know where to start in Ubuntu . . . victory has been mine.

DirtDawg
June 5th, 2007, 07:01 PM
I'm glad this has been brought up because people really are hostile toward *nix users. I've noticed it myself. I think it may stem from hearing again and again that their OS (usually WIndows) suxx from somewhat snobby *nixers.

What really bothers me is some people see problems as "never Window's fault". For example, that Windows cannot read an ext3 drive (the default Linux drive format, as opposed to NTFS Windows format), then it's Linux's fault somehow, not Windows. Very strange.

jgrabham
June 5th, 2007, 07:33 PM
What really bothers me is some people see problems as "never Window's fault". For example, that Windows cannot read an ext3 drive (the default Linux drive format, as opposed to NTFS Windows format), then it's Linux's fault somehow, not Windows. Very strange.

Yeah, if MS spent more time making windows more compatible and less time developing aerodynamic chairs the world would be a better place.

BatsotO
June 5th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Now I see the thin line between religion and operating system.

L Campbell
June 5th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to thank you for inspiring me.

I have ' a couple of Ubuntu stickers, the ones you get with the shipit cd's ' and I decided to stick them on my bicycle, so that when I park it in the grocery store, I might get a chance to enlighten someone.

Kind regards.

justin whitaker
June 5th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Now I see the thin line between religion and operating system.

Everything is a religion these days. Operating systems, political systems, which brand of soft drinks you prefer, which game you play.

I ignore it all. I use what is best for me, what makes sense to me, what seems right. That's all you can really ask of yourself...who needs the opinions of others?

prizrak
June 5th, 2007, 08:56 PM
How about if start I wearing an army jacked? :P
Go for it! (also helps if you are frequently seen using weapons, you know a 20" knife to sharpen a pencil sort of thing ;) )

Ebuntor
June 5th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Go for it! (also helps if you are frequently seen using weapons, you know a 20" knife to sharpen a pencil sort of thing ;) )

Hmm, I can take my carbine with me and my army survival knife :p Although I doubt campus security would be very happy about that. ;)

BatsotO
June 5th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I ignore it all. I use what is best for me, what makes sense to me, what seems right. That's all you can really ask of yourself...who needs the opinions of others?

Ebuntor did :D he started this thread.

Ebuntor
June 5th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Ebuntor did :D he started this thread.

Exactly :) thank you

goumples
June 5th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Kick someones teeth in.. They'll leave you alone in the future.

justin whitaker
June 5th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Kick someones teeth in.. They'll leave you alone in the future.

Other than "Tiny" your cell mate in Rykers. :p

agurk
June 5th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I think a little casual Beryl cube spinning might be called for here.

(I love doing that on e.g. train rides, and pretend I don't notice peoples' eyes popping out. Perhaps with Windows XP running in VMware on one side of the cube, just as an extra twist)

Ebuntor
June 5th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I think a little casual Beryl cube spinning might be called for here.

(I love doing that on e.g. train rides, and pretend I don't notice peoples' eyes popping out. Perhaps with Windows XP running in VMware on one side of the cube, just as an extra twist)

Oh yeah that reminds me. I showed them Beryl, just about every feature it has and the only reaction I got was "Nah, Vista at least has graphic features that are handy". Yeah right.

agurk
June 5th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Hmm, I see, tough crowd. Perhaps you could ask them why they hate freedom so much? :)

B0rsuk
June 5th, 2007, 11:50 PM
In response to original post:

Once upon a time there was a farmer. His crops were regularly eaten by a herd of baboons. One day the farmer had enough. He caught one of the baboons and painted it white, then released it. The entire baboon herd fled screaming when they saw the white baboon.
The next day the white baboon was found dead, bitten to death by his fellow baboons.
Moral of the story: xenophoby is not unique to humans.

My tips:
- make fun, and ridiculous statements about windows. The sillier, the better. Bonus points if you say 'My grandmother says....(windows factoid here)'
- respond calmy, answer them point by point. Show them a big game running on Linux - one of numerous FPS titles like Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory, UT2004, Quake3, WOW, HL2, CS, Oblivion, Guild Wars, Starcraft, Warcraft3....
Ignore them if they get outright aggressive and don't listen to what you're saying.
- install something very cool like Compiz or Beryl. You're aiming for this kind of impression:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y6kd42jIaHk

Whatever you do, don't show anger or any bad emotions. Don't get them reasons to label you as a freak.

prizrak
June 6th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Hmm, I can take my carbine with me and my army survival knife :p Although I doubt campus security would be very happy about that. ;)
All they got are tasers what can they do ;)

EdThaSlayer
June 6th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Strange, seems you have some people that know quite a bit about computers. In my school, they think that I'm using a different version of Windows! I just tell them I'm using something free, and that I like so they shouldn't care about it. Some of them do make fun of me, and the only thing they say is that I can't play games(which isn't the fault of Linux, since my ATI Radeon 9600 can't play the best linux games due to the bad drivers from ATI,my next laptop will definitely have an Nvidia card).

firedancer
June 6th, 2007, 03:13 PM
when they start saying things again

just inhale

sit in the lotus sutra (position)

and say AUMBUNTUUUUUUUUU LINUUUXX SRI

if that doesn't help just tell them your a terrorist , AND THAT YOUR LAPTOP IS SOME F%^%K(89G EXPLOSIVE DEVICE

if they are racist and don't like 'african things' (which it is not) tell them use KUBUNTU that's the one the KKK uses

that's the sweet stuff about linux i quess, there is something for everyone even the typical @ssH0L**

if that doesn't help, love them for they don't know

whatever, don't mind my advice